[Locked] MEDICAL DONATION RIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning/hoping to repeal both the "Organ and Blood Donations Act" (currently at vote, and failing) and "Stem Cells for Greater Health." In response to those repeals, I have THREE (count 'em, three!) replacements that I'm working on. I need to rework the repeal draft for O&BDA, so I probably won't have that posted here until tomorrow for your persual. However, in the meantime, I figured I'd post up my 3 replacement drafts.

Generally speaking, with the replacements, I'm combining blood & components, tissue, organ, and stem cell donations into a general category and establishing rights/procedures/etc., about them accordingly. I have the topics sorted by "category" and organizing as follows:

(1) Medical Donation Rights - Human Rights, Significant
(2) Biomedical Innovation Organization - Education & Creativity, Education
(3) Biomedical Trade & Treatment - Free Trade, Mild

All 3 replacements do have "character space" to work with, if there are things that need to be clarified or added. I'm open to suggestions, so please let me know if you have any thoughts on any of these.

Thanks for checking these out! :)

MEDICAL DONATION RIGHTS
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed By: Mousebumples

Description:
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

BELIEVES that all individuals should be accorded specific rights with regards to medical procedures and, specifically, when dealing with the harvesting and transplantation of biomedical tissues.

SPECIFIES that “biomedical tissues” shall include, at minimum, the following:
1. Blood and blood products, such as platelets and plasma.
2. Organs, such as the kidneys, liver, and heart.
3. Stem cells, such as bone marrow tissue, cord blood cells, embryonic stem cells, and adult stem cells.

DECLARES that prospective donors and recipients of biomedical tissues shall not be discriminated against without a valid medical rationale, such as blood and tissue typing or the presence of a dangerous contagion.

MANDATES that all prospective donors and recipients agree to the procedure(s) with uncoerced, informed consent prior to any harvesting or transplantation.

REQUIRES that all medical procedures involving biomedical tissues be conducted as humanely as practicable using sterile technique.

INSISTS that legally completed advance health care directives (e.g. living will) shall be followed in order to respect the wishes of the individual in question.

PERMITS the following:
1. In the absence of a legally completed advance health care directive, legal guardians may provide uncoerced, informed consent on behalf of a donor or recipient in the event that the individual in question is under the age of majority or the individual in question is otherwise unable to understand the information and/or procedure.
2. Individual WA Nations may pass laws allowing an individual’s next-of-kin to act as their legal guardian in the event that the individual in question has been medically classified by one or more qualified medical professionals as being irreversibly “brain dead” without completing an advance health care directive.

ALLOWS for the following:
1. Triage of prospective recipients based on:
(a) Medical need.
(b) Geographic location if the biomedical tissue in question may decrease in quality during the transport process.
2. Delay in transplantation due to a co-existing medical condition, which may place the transplanted biomedical tissues at risk of rejection or infection. If such a medical condition exists, all reasonable attempts shall be made at treatment so as to allow the transplant to occur.
3. Passage of national laws regarding the payment and/or reimbursement for lost wages to donors of biomedical tissues.

I'm not sold on including the 3rd clause under the ALLOWS section, so arguments for/against that are specifically welcome - as well as general comments. :)

Thanks again!

Eluvatar:
Did this get split in two?
Yeah, it got too long - character count wise - so I ended up splitting it. I (obviously) forgot to post up the new drafts here. Whoops!

Plus, some of the details are more donor or recipient specific, so while the drafts are very similar, there's enough differences between them, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back