Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Category: Recreational Drug Use
Decision: Legalize
Proposed by: Eleutheria

Compassionate Drug Act:
Description:

General Assembly,

REALISING that each nation has a considerable number of terminally ill patients.

AFFIRMING that they have a right to benefit from potential beneficial and curative medical advancements.

SADDENED that often these advancements take too long to receive the required certification from pharmaceutical regulatory boards for said advancements to benefit them.

UNDERSTANDING that there are medical concerns inherent in providing terminally ill patients with as of yet uncertified medicine.

ACKNOWLEDGING that despite this they are already destined to enter into a terminal decline and that the potential benefits outweigh the risks, especially when the medical research potential of the results of the treatment are considered.

ASSURING that this will be of great benefit to any small pharmaceutical organisation that is working on drugs for the terminally ill, as they could avoid some of the expensive clinical trials and long certification process (a process too expensive for small companies) and appeal directly to whatever the terminal patient base is.

Hereby,

ALLOWS terminally ill patients to use drugs, treatments and devices that have not received official approval by the drug and pharmaceutical regulatory organisations required by the national government if their physicians certify:

(i)such patients have no other treatment options;

(ii)the patient executes written, informed consent that they are aware of any potential risks from the drug, device, or treatment.

Eluvatar:
And it has been removed for unspecified reasons, and its author ejected from the WA.
For those looking for more information regarding the "reasons," I'm guessing it may have something to do with the GHR I filed on the subject of its legality. (I don't want to bore you guys with the details, but I paraphrased the GHR in this post in the NS forum thread.)

Bottom line: category violation. It wasn't a recreational drug use proposal and, as such, did not belong in the recreational drug use category.

As you guys may know, proposal authors generally have "3 strikes" when it comes to submitting illegal proposals. (i.e. 3 strikes and you're out of the WA) My understanding is that the mods do have some discretion with that - an individual who has submitted 3 illegal proposals over the span of years may not be ejected; conversely, a single plagiarized proposal is likely to get you booted from the WA.)

I've encouraged the author to create a new WA nation and consider redrafting their proposal in an appropriate category. We'll obviously need to wait and see what happens ...

The proposal needs more fine tuning than just the category. JMHO. As it was I wouldn't have voted for it because it was too vague such as to make it difficult to apply fairly.

Grosseschnauzer:
The proposal needs more fine tuning than just the category. JMHO. As it was I wouldn't have voted for it because it was too vague such as to make it difficult to apply fairly.
Honestly, I tend to agree. :agree: However, I'm more "hoping that the author will revise it" because they may have potential as a proposal author in general. I don't know if this idea is redeemable without some serious adjustments - as you say, it was too vague and seemed far too likely to turn the terminally ill into guinea pigs for no good reason other than "it's too hard/expensive to do clinical trials" or something along those lines.

Apparently, this isn't/wasn't the individual's first proposal submission, but (I think) this was their first venture onto the NS forums with a proposal. Hopefully, with some help and refinement, they can successfully author ... something, going forward.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back