Re-Elect Unibot for The Council of Five!

unibot

TNPer
re_elect.png

INTRODUCTION

It’s that time of season again for another election. As Minister of World Assembly Affairs in the North Pacific, I’ve been diligently working to ensure that the North Pacific is well informed on the ins and outs of WA Resolutions.

Our first major task in regards to the World Assembly was to decide on how voting would happen. Eventually, I convinced cabinet to adopt our current system which includes votes from the site and offsite – which I think is the fairest and most inclusive system for deciding our region’s World Assembly votes.

My main duties however were the establishment and continuation of the Informational Reviews by the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs on WA Resolutions. Informational Reviews were generally designed to bring up some backstory or context to a resolution and then go into detail about what a resolution does or not do, then reasons why or why not one may vote for such a resolution. Finally, Informational Reviews end with a recommendation to the delegate on how to vote. Some obvious successes of the Informational Reviews were, arguably, the single-handed defeat of “Repeal ‘Commend Quote of the Day’” and the incredibly interesting debate that surfaced in “Repeal ‘Delineation of Borders Act’”. Astonishingly, out of the entire region, only one member-nation has opted-out of the Informational Review, which I believe is a strong indication of the favorableness of these reviews.

I will also note that Osiris recently contacted me and asked to include the Informational Reviews in their World Assembly debates – so I’m quite proud that this program has been so popular and so prevalent.

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT MYSELF

For those who don't know me, I've been a member of the North Pacific now since 2010; I got my first big "break" you could say, as far as public service goes when I was offered the position of Ambassador to the World Assembly for the North Pacific in Neo Kervoskia's government. My work as Minister of World Assembly Affairs in Eluvatar's cabinet is very much an extension of what I did as Ambassador but with a few added duties that I think have added to the success of the North Pacific's involvement in the World Assembly. Right now, I'd say without a doubt, the North Pacific is one of the most involved regions in the World Assembly: we have voting might, we have informed discussions and serious political power.

Under Neo Kervoskia's government, I was advocating for the same innovative democratic changes (the inclusion of regional residents in elections) as I am now: but what is exciting for me is nowadays, my position isn't so much radical as it is mainstream. We as a region have a new-found mindset that is much more accepting of bold new ideas and plans which will be a catalyst for regional development in the near future.

As for other credentials go, I was commended by the World Assembly this year for my work as a WA Author. In the World Assembly, I passed a record, twenty-two resolutions across both houses and was pioneer author in the Security Council. I am also a lead member of the defender community and the head of The United Defenders League, the largest non-regional defender organization in NationStates.

WHAT CAN YOU LOOK FORWARD TO WITH UNIBOT RE-ELECTED?

One of the main projects I’ve been spearheading is the election of the “Regional Message Board Guardian”; essentially this is a public servant who would organize our Regional Message Board’s activities and games. However, what’s very exciting about the Guardian project is *how* we’re planning on electing the Guardian: as a trial for a potential delegate election in the future, we’d be conducting the elections using an off-site ballot collection system that all members of the region can use. “Voter Recognition Keys” would be distributed to citizens via auto-telegrams. A friend of mine and myself (with some help from Eluvatar too) have designed a workable design for the ballot collector page and the “successfully casted ballot” page – which I invite you to review and comment about.

I also recently submitted several references questions to the Judiciary to make sure our program was legally covered; we learned quite a bit from those references questions in regards to how the Electoral System has to be designed to fit our current legal system. The main lesson was: the ballot collector has to share its address with the North Pacific forum, or else we cannot prosecute “muliti” voters with proxying. The fact I, along with the rest of the cabinet, took precautions here to ensure we were informed of the law now, will save the North Pacific embarrassment in the future, since we may not have been able to prosecute blatant offenders who tried to disrupt our democracy.

The major discussion right now for Councillors is the direction of the North Pacific Army; I’m throwing my support behind the NPA’s proposed policy which is being discussed by Cabinet as we speak. Unfortunately, elections have interrupted this discussion somewhat, but my hope is before elections are finished, we’ll have a workable draft to delineate the NPA’s future policy to submit to the Regional Assembly for review. The basis of the NPA’s proposed policy is a centrist army that refrains from doing unnecessary aggressor missions that could hurt our region’s interregional reputation, but also promotes tough military action against our political enemies and, of course, secures our region.

I think this Cabinet of Eluvatar’s has been one of the most successful Cabinets that the North Pacific has had in years; I’d like to continue that success and I sincerely hope voters agree. A vote for me is a vote for a more inclusive, innovative and influential North Pacific; and remember, vote early, vote often, my friends.

Unibot.png

As a note, I may be hijacking the work Unibot and Solm did for RMB Guardian election for Council of Five elections :P

Eluvatar:
As a note, I may be hijacking the work Unibot and Solm did for RMB Guardian election for Council of Five elections :P
By the way, thanks for adding the ordinal ranking system; I was unsure how to do it, so I ordered radio buttons, but knew in the back of my head you would probably want to use AV or something similar for the election. :P

@Queen Ravenna: Thank you! Our region deserves the effort. :)

Your informational reviews have been so very helpful. Great work. I'd like to see you continue the progress. Best of luck in your campaign!

The major discussion right now for Councillors is the direction of the North Pacific Army; I’m throwing my support behind the NPA’s proposed policy which is being discussed by Cabinet as we speak. Unfortunately, elections have interrupted this discussion somewhat, but my hope is before elections are finished, we’ll have a workable draft to delineate the NPA’s future policy to submit to the Regional Assembly for review. The basis of the NPA’s proposed policy is a centrist army that refrains from doing unnecessary aggressor missions that could hurt our region’s interregional reputation, but also promotes tough military action against our political enemies and, of course, secures our region.

Right, you've mentioned this as a personal agenda before, and to be honest, it doesn't seem very centralist at all, it seems anti-raider or, at the very least, proclaims raiding as something to be ashamed of.

For that matter, why is it that the Cabinet is meeting in secret to discuss the NPA's future instead of in the NPA's own forums? Could it be that the input of their members wouldn't be appreciated?

My general question for you, Unibot, is can we really trust you to keep your UDL interests out of the NPA and TNP? Prior experience suggests we can not, indeed even your own signature on this forum is chalked full of UDL victory ribbons. Whom do you really aim to represent here? The North Pacific or the United Defenders League?

Right, you've mentioned this as a personal agenda before, and to be honest, it doesn't seem very centralist at all, it seems anti-raider or, at the very least, proclaims raiding as something to be ashamed of.

Because the proposal calls for a centrist army, the army goes beyond the raider and defender dimension into the realm of aggression and security. It's been the growing opinion of the Cabinet that attacking innocent regions for really no political reason is unnecessary and will cost our region foreign reputation. Is it a shameful tactic? I suppose that depends on one's conscience; but in practical terms, it is incontrovertible that it'll hurt our region's reputation and our diplomatic affairs for little gain.

I and the Cabinet unanimously supported, however, aggressor missions against our political enemies -- their attack is both justified and necessary.

For that matter, why is it that the Cabinet is meeting in secret to discuss the NPA's future instead of in the NPA's own forums? Could it be that the input of their members wouldn't be appreciated?

The proposal was designed by NPA soldiers -- so their input is appreciated; The Cabinet will discuss and vote on the proposal. Then if all goes well, it'll be submitted to the Regional Assembly; where concerned citizens like yourself can voice your opinion on the proposal.

The reason for the Cabinet's meeting on the subject is to ensure there is a consensus on the policy among our executives.

My general question for you, Unibot, is can we really trust you to keep your UDL interests out of the NPA and TNP? Prior experience suggests we can not, indeed even your own signature on this forum is chalked full of UDL victory ribbons. Whom do you really aim to represent here? The North Pacific or the United Defenders League?

If I had brought up your affiliation with Lone Wolves United and questioned your loyalty, Blue Wolf, instead of treating you like an equal member of the region who may have his own principles and beliefs; would you appreciate this exclusion?

We need a more inclusive and accepting community; a call you've made before. I'd appreciate if you could show me the same acceptance and tolerance that you've called for, and I'll do my best to do the same for you. That's the foundation of a tolerant, civil society which I think everyone in The North Pacific desires.

I've been a loyal member of the North Pacific for years and have worked diligently as the Minister of World Assembly Affairs; I will uphold the interests of the region and I happen to agree with the other members of the Cabinet that attacking regions without political justification is unnecessary, largely not beneficial to our region and against our region's interests. However, there will be a vote in the Regional Assembly where you can voice your dissent for such an argument and I urge you, if you do in feel strongly about it, to let your opinion be heard when it comes to vote.

Thanks for your comments, Blue Wolf.

Your informational reviews have been so very helpful. Great work. I'd like to see you continue the progress. Best of luck in your campaign!

I appreciate the well wishes, Great Bights Mum! Thank you!

unibot:
If I had brought up your affiliation with Lone Wolves United and questioned your loyalty, Blue Wolf, instead of treating you like an equal member of the region who may have his own principles and beliefs; would you appreciate this exclusion?
The difference being that I have made a great deal of in-game sacrifices on behalf of TNP where as Unibot has not. It isn't easy for a raider to have a single WA that never moves out of a feeder, you know. I am not even technically the leader of LWU anymore, that distinction being held by the current Khan. It is a very rare occasion indeed when I let LWU influence what I am doing here in TNP.

Unibot proudly wears his UDL allegiance as a badge, as a matter of fact he literally wears badges that proclaim his UDL membership. I am quite sure that his stance against NPA's will to raid has nothing at all to do with serving TNP's best interests but rather only the interests of the United Defenders League.

When I reformed the North Pacific Army I intended it to be a neutral military, meaning that it would play both sides of the game. Unibot, on the other hand, wants to turn it into an extension of the UDL and prevent it from carrying out any sort of raids except when, conveniently, attacking the enemies of the UDL. His outrageous suggestions within the Cabinet walls to apologize publicly for a recent attempted raid only serve to reinforce the line of thought that Unibot is an anti-raider apologist.

It isn't easy for a raider to have a single WA that never moves out of a feeder, you know.

It would be if you were an inactive raider -- which you are. In fact, you were an inactive delegate too. When the region needed you to make the in-game "sacrifice" of simple tarting or fulfilling the duties of delegate, you were nowhere to be found.

You're criticizing me for not fulfilling "sacrifices" not necessary or beneficial to fulfill the duties of Executive Councillor; unlike you were, several months ago, I'm fully aware of my duties and prepared to fulfill them as I have in my previous term as Minister of World Assembly Affairs.

I believe we should be motioning for inclusion; members of the Regional Assembly should not be degraded and disadvantaged from seeking executive positions (barring positions where immobility is necessary) simply because their WA Nation is mobile and on active duty. I believe that is in fact one of the principles behind the third clause of the Bill of Rights -- a cherished document of our body of laws. Mock me all you wish, Blue Wolf, but I ask you not to make a mockery of our region, our laws and our rights.

Unibot proudly wears his UDL allegiance as a badge, as a matter of fact he literally wears badges that proclaim his UDL membership. I am quite sure that his stance against NPA's will to raid has nothing at all to do with serving TNP's best interests but rather only the interests of the United Defenders League.

Absolutely poppycock, Blue Wolf. I wear my military ribbons because I am proud of my achievements and I do not wish to hide who I am. None of us should have to hide who were are. That is the basis of inclusion and tolerance.

When I reformed the North Pacific Army I intended it to be a neutral military, meaning that it would play both sides of the game. Unibot, on the other hand, wants to turn it into an extension of the UDL and prevent it from carrying out any sort of raids except when, conveniently, attacking the enemies of the UDL.

You have misunderstood what the North Pacific Army's direction is; it's a centrist army in the sense that it will not recognize the old raider v. defender distinction -- not simply play both sides and be "raider" one day and "defender" the next. The North Pacific Army's soldiers have proposed a policy that will direct the army to act as aggressor when it will serve the region's interests not simply raiders' interests. I support that policy.

To assert that I wish for the NPA to only attack the enemies of the UDL is incorrect, any coincidence that emerges is due to an existing mutuality in political enemies.

His outrageous suggestions within the Cabinet walls to apologize publicly for a recent attempted raid only serve to reinforce the line of thought that Unibot is an anti-raider apologist.

We attempted to attack two regions that hadn't done anything to The North Pacific -- it was unnecessary and not political justified. I eventually was persuaded by Eluvatar that an apology would not be necessary, since the raids were failed attempts. Nonetheless, I was not alone on the Cabinet by any means in opposition to the attempted invasions. This incident however sparked the discussion of the new policy; brought forth by the NPA's ranks and I'm very satisfied with it and I believe NPA's soldiers are too. Ultimately out of tough moments in the Cabinet, we've been able to spring out of it, stronger and brighter than every with lasting solutions to our region's problems.

Thank you for your comments, Blue Wolf.

unibot:
The North Pacific Army's soldiers have proposed a policy that will direct the army to act as aggressor when it will serve the region's interests not simply raiders' interests. I support that policy.
Which NPA soldiers? You've yet to motion even a single one by name.

To assert that I wish for the NPA to only attack the enemies of the UDL is incorrect, any coincidence that emerges is due to an existing mutuality in political enemies.

How very convenient.

Actually at this time I don't see any likelihood of NPA attacking home regions of enemies of the UDL... :tb1:

Edit: And I must say I do mind selective and effectively misleading leaks from Council of Five chambers... especially by someone who is not authorized for that area!

I have a question for unibot some say you and Eluvatar are a little to closely allied, do you believe you are able to offer truly unbiased advice to the Delegate, especially with your Loyalty to other regions?

Eluvatar:
Edit: And I must say I do mind selective and effectively misleading leaks from Council of Five chambers... especially by someone who is not authorized for that area!
If its so selective and misleading, maybe you should release it. Clearly it is in the Public's Interest to know whether or not a CoF member truly has The North Pacific in mind when he makes decisions or bases all his actions on behalf of a Userite Alliance that this region is not in.

Do you believe you are able to offer truly unbiased advice to the Delegate, especially with your Loyalty to other regions?

Of course; Eluvatar is one of the most independent thinkers in the entirety of NationStates. I don't think I could persuade him to abandon the interests of the region even if I wished to do so -- and I do not. I've consistently argued for the interests of the region, but I appreciate your concern.

Thank you, Peoples Empire for your question.

Which NPA soldiers? You've yet to motion even a single one by name.

Maj. Scandigrad was the original author of the policy, but I believe he was accumulating different ideas from various NPA soldiers.

I find it interesting that this proposal has not been seen by other members of the NPA. I myself am a General and I was never given it nor provided the opportunity to give my input. How very strange.

Unibot has been a very dedicated member of The North Pacific and the Council of Five. I would like to fully endorse his campaign for reelection.

I find it interesting that this proposal has not been seen by other members of the NPA. I myself am a General and I was never given it nor provided the opportunity to give my input. How very strange.

Well you'd have to bring that up with the NPA's administration, but I believe you will have ample time to dissect and review the policy when it comes to debate in the Regional Assembly.

Unibot has been a very dedicated member of The North Pacific and the Council of Five. I would like to fully endorse his campaign for reelection.

Thank you for your endorsement, Ator. I'd also like to commend you on your service this past term as Minister of Communications -- TNP Wire has been very successful under your direction.

I will say that the survey was intended as NPA input into the policy. I had planned to present the final draft to the NPA members for comments.

Edit:

I will add that many people have quite different views about what direction the NPA should take. The Survey was a way of getting a cross-section view of that. The draft written by Scandigrad with contributions from other ministers and deputy ministers is in no way final. We will present it to the NPA, and if agreed upon, to the regional assembly. It is very important that we all come to the negotiating table with an open mind, and a willingness to take the next steps that are needed. It is safe to say that Blue Wolf is more raider leaning, and others are more defender leaning

We need to balance those interests/views and work productively towards a final solution. Something I believe the council is determined to do.

mcmasterdonia:
How would you describe your working relationship with the rest of cabinet?
My working relationship with Ator and Romanoffia are very fluid since we tend to already be an agreement on a lot of things, however, Ator and I had a lovely debate on WA Voting policy where I think voters would have been impressed to see their councilors, civilly debating an important issue and coming to a consensus.

My working relationship with the two Progressive Party candidates is a little more stressed since ideologically were often butting heads, I would argue because of the Progressive Party's political centrism. That having been said Eluvatar promotes the idea of a cabinet that runs on consensus, so there's going to be civil disputes all the time, frankly in Cabinet -- if we don't have that, we have groupthink and that's not a preferable situation and also a good reason to elect independent candidates into the mix along with your party-line candidates.

I find it interesting that you relate the progressive party to this. I personally don't see the party as being particularly active - or central to our election campaigns. Its more of a commitment to the ideals.

I could agree more with you on the rest of what you have said. I think although there has been disagreements, the cabinet has been productive and through compromise has made some good decisions.

Oh, there are some other Progressive Party members lurking around here, although I can't think of any off the top of my head. You can usually tell who they are by their Red Rising Sun styled touch...or occasionally blue.

Just because some of us find our military philosophies frequently aligned with those of the UDL, it doesn't mean the NPA will be beholden to an outside organization. I for one am looking forward to the challenges of formulating a mission statement for the NPA that reconciles competing viewpoints.

It is a discussion that will involve all members of our region. It will of course ensure, that TNP and NPA sovereignty is respected.

I, personally, am not looking forward to a CoF member who votes against raids without even listening to the reasoning. You end up with Elu and Unibot voting Nay constantly and that's 2 out of 5 members who will never allow NPA to raid. Ator isn't much of a fan of raiding either so now that's 3 out of 5 and the NPA is essentially prohibited from invading with the United Defender League all too eager to stanch up our members for their own missions.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with the down the road direction the NPA will take, eventually the NPA and the RA will be given a voice on that matter and hopefully then things will be more balanced. What worries me is the "here and now" of having someone who will never vote "aye" no matter how just the action and strongly encourages NPA members to partake in missions that have nothing to do with our alliances or treaties.

Just like that we have a military that has suddenly gone from being strictly neutral to being purely Defender, dispute Unibot's animated claims to the contrary. And the people influencing this decision are not the leaders of the NPA, but rather a group that is suppose to "supervise" them without bias.

Among the many things you could say abut Elu, accusing him of voting without even hearing what all sides have to say seems quite unlike him. Though I do not know Unibot as well, from what I've seen his replies show he's paying attention to the opinions of others.

Cabinet discussions are an entirely different matter. I will note that the NPA did take part in two raids (that ultimately failed), and various liberations before that. We have since been primarily involved with Stargate. The result of the attempted raid created such a negative response from cabinet, that it was decided a survey was best to determine what exactly our members wanted to do. Which is what we have done. If the minutes were posted as requested by the Cabinet Secretary, hopefully a lot of these issues would be cleared up.

I think Eluvatar would support Raids that have clear political aims - the first raid approval he deferred to his deputy, KiwiTaicho. Together we approved the raid. I would like to categorically say that I fully stand by that decision, as it gives us a clear path forward now, and I was able to give the soldiers an opportunity to try raiding.

We are currently working on a document that will hopefully determine what the NPA can or cannot do. It will be ultimately up to the Regional Assembly whether it chooses to adopt it or not. As i've said in my campaign, it is necessary to balance regional interests, npa activity, and keeping the soldiers engaged. I would certainly not accept any arrangement that would make the NPA subservient to any other military organisation.

There was some ridiculous claims in cabinet, that such a document should not involve the assembly. I'm sure we can all trust that nobody will try and spin the assembly, or indeed manipulate it. We must remember the RA is sovereign, and that RA members can make this decision off of their own backs.

I'm looking forward to this matter being resolved fully. Hopefully future Cabinet debates and the region can concern and focus itself on a wider range of issues, and not constantly The North Pacific Army.

The use of "raid" to imply an invasion for political justification is by the way, in correct, a "raid" is an invasion with no justification. No one on the cabinet is against aggressive invasions against regions we are politically at war with or the like, but most of the cabinet found the raids that the North Pacific recently did to be not well supported.

The implication that I will never vote "aye" for an invasion no matter how just is incorrect, two raids run against random targets were not justified invasions. Nor do I think it was necessary to run raids against real regions to get "a feel" for raiding -- this "test" could have been done against a warzone or a consenting target.

Blue Wolf is frankly incorrect, the Regional Assembly chooses the Council of Five to organize our public policy and we as a region are responsible for what the NPA gets up to under the region's name, thus we cannot have the NPA be unwatched and unregulated. We will however, as Mcmasterdonia says, put the NPA proposal up to vote in the Regional Assembly.

mcmasterdonia:
Cabinet discussions are an entirely different matter. I will note that the NPA did take part in two raids (that ultimately failed), and various liberations before that. We have since been primarily involved with Stargate. The result of the attempted raid created such a negative response from cabinet, that it was decided a survey was best to determine what exactly our members wanted to do.
Yes, I am aware of the "Cabinet's" response to those raids but perhaps it would be better to inform the public, hm? As I understand it, for those raids to even occur McMaster had to purposefully work around Unibot. After Unibot learned of them, he threw a small fit and tried to get a motion to apologize publicly for what had occurred. I repeat, he literally tried to apologize for NPA raiding. The main opposition to a neutral and raiding NPA doesn't seem to be coming from the NPA itself but rather only from very specific members of the Cabinet and the CoF.

As a point of order, I'm pretty sure Ator People isn't running for the Council of Five so the dynamics of the new cabinet are likely to be completely different.

The main opposition to a neutral and raiding NPA doesn't seem to be coming from the NPA itself but rather only from very specific members of the Cabinet and the CoF.

Three members of the Council of Five. >_>

And Eluvatar didn't find the tag-raiding necessary either.

Overall, you're being supplied misinformation, whoever is leaking cabinet information to you.

Back