Discussion: Inquiry into Board Filter of D-o-g to God

2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under this Constitution.
I thought I'd analyse this to see if it could be read any other way, and, as you said, it's very straightforward and cannot be read any other way. Since it clearly says the right to speech, press and religion shall 'not be infringed'. It's an open and shut inquiry, there's no way for this to be justified under the bill of rights.

In addition, I did find some parts of Article 5 to have some relevance:
5. All Nations of The North Pacific have the right to be protected against the abuse of powers by any official of a government authority of the region.
Since censoring BW's free speech could be seen as abuse of powers (administrative powers) it once again shows that the use of the filter in this way is illegal and should not be allowed since it infringes upon BW's right to free speech.

Edit: Regarding Flem's recent post though, I'm not sure if my 2nd point is relevant since the laws have no control over admins.

It does violate the rights of a member of the forum however the ZB ToU and ToS would allow for this to be done.

I agree with you. And our opinion would be that the filtering of the word of such is illegal and a violation of freedom of speech?

Opinion of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Blue Wolf II on use of work filters

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry as filed by Blue Wolf II:

Request for Judicial Inquiry:
As found in this topic here, the Root Admin and current Attorney General has decided the word "d-o-g" is no longer acceptable and will now be auto-filtered to "God". Besides this being extremely hubris, I believe it also constitutes a violation of the Bill of Right, specifically:

Bill of Rights:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under this Constitution.

It is commonly known that I had a nickname for the Root Admin which was comprised of the letter sequence "D-o-g". I feel that my right to free speech has been violated.

I ask the Courts to look into this matter, see if any violations of the Bill of Rights has occurred, and see if any criminal charges can be brought against the Root Admin. I would also like to point out I don't foresee our current Attorney General filing charges against himself, so in the even that the Court does find a violation worthy of criminal prosecution, I ask that Head Justice appoint a new temporary Attorney General.

When reviewing this request the Court looked at the Bill of Rights:

Section 2 of the Bill of Rights:

The Court opines the following:

The usage of the board word filter system to automatically change the word "D-o-g" to "God" is in fact a violation of the Bill of Rights. The Court has determined that the text of the Bill of Rights is very clear on this matter. The Court would also like to note that it has no jurisdiction over ZetaBoards Terms of Use and Terms of Service Policy Violations and these are to be dealt with by the boards administrative staff exclusively. However, the opinion of the Court does not change.

The Court would also like to note that in the future it would be wise for the administration staff specifically those that are offended to contact the person offending them and attempt to resolve the issue before taking such harsh actions such as filtering such a common word.

I have no issues with the ruling, and I approve of it. It's very straightforward and a well written judgement.

Back