Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Category: Environmental
Industry Affected: Uranium Mining
Proposed by: Silvadus

Nuclear Safety Act:
The General Assembly,

DEFINING nuclear power as the use of sustained nuclear fission to generate heat and do useful work,

RECOGNIZING that nuclear power is an efficient and abundant source of power,

AWARE that many nations use nuclear power as a source of power and some use it as a main source of power,

REALIZING the potential hazards of nuclear power such as nuclear waste and nuclear accidents that can cause long term damage to people’s health and the environment,

BELIEVING that most hazards caused by nuclear power can be easily prevented or dealt with responsibly,

CONCERNED that some nations may not have well-established safety standards for nuclear power and may be at risk of nuclear hazards,

ESTABLISHES the Nuclear Energy Safety Commission (NESC) to promote and oversee the safety standards of nuclear power plants,

SHALL grant the NESC the responsibilities of:
I. The inspection of nuclear energy power plants for the purpose of evaluating safety protocols,
II. Determining the level of compliance of safety protocols in conjunction with standardized practices,
III. Determining which safety protocols are lacking, and inform facility management and the controlling government of deficiencies,
IV. Advising courses of action(s) needed to bring safety protocols and standards in line with standardized practices,
V. Receiving and evaluating outstanding safety practices for implementation for standardization as “best practices”,

MANDATES the following for nations:
I. Take prime responsibility for risks caused by exposure to radiation while handling radioactive material for the purpose of nuclear power,
II. Establish procedures and arrangements to maintain safety and stability while operating nuclear power plants,
III. Have safety measures in place to prevent or have arrangements to deal with exposure to radiation while handling radioactive material,
IV. Follow adequate building designs for the construction of nuclear power plant facilities,
V. Establish proper regulations for facilities and activities dealing with the handling of radioactive materials for the purpose of generating power,
VI. Enforce regulations placed upon nuclear facilities and attempt to pass legislation to better the safety of said nuclear facilities,

Co-authored by Lestaria and neuchies

This resolution is currently up for vote in the WA.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a WA nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

I'm for this resolution, though I would note that nuclear power carries a stigma of being unsafe that typically is not the case. The resolution allows for better protection of infrastructure, however, which I like.

I hope it won't affect my economy in a negative way, that's all. It seems quite reasonable.
So I support that.

Informational Review by the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs::
This is an informational review of the GA Resolution-At-Vote, "Nuclear Power Safety Act" published by The North Pacific's Ministry of World Assembly Affairs for your convenience and consideration.

Nuclear Power Safety Act takes a clear stance on whether or not member-states should adopt preventative measures against nuclear disasters; critics will suggest that the General Assembly has already required a fair amount of regulation for nuclear facilities including GA#60, GA#19, GA#105, GA#116, but alternatively, it could be successfully argued that none of the past regulation on the subject requires (some suggest but do not require) preventative measures other than inspection or only responds to nuclear disasters after-the-fact.

Bearing this in mind, preventative measures can reduce the financial and social costs of nuclear disasters -- disasters (due to previous WA legislation) which are often the responsibility of the World Assembly to assist in responding to, so, The World Assembly has as much right as ever to call for preventative measures. Critics are correct in saying that Nuclear Power Safety Act does not require compliance to the recommendations of Nuclear Energy Safety Commission, in some sense, this weakens the effectiveness of the resolution, but on the other hand, it strengthens the resolution by establishing that member-states must take an active role in securing the safety of nuclear facilities without using strict micromanagement.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs has (1) recommended that the delegate vote "FOR" Nuclear Power Safety Act, and (2) calls upon all member-states in The North Pacific (that's you!) to carefully consider the viewpoints expressed in this informational statement. Thank you.

Yours,
Unibot
Minister of World Assembly Affairs in The North Pacific.

Voters should keep in mind that some WA nations may be dependent on mining for their economy and that this would cripple their economy. It would also weaken the economy of nations who even have a slight mining economy. Yello103 is strongly opposed to this resolution.

4 for, 1 against, 0 abstain.

Myself I find more worrisome that it defines only fission power to be nuclear power. What about fusion?

The General Assembly resolution Nuclear Power Safety Act was passed 7,976 votes to 2,884, and implemented in all WA member nations.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back