-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Some months ago, the Regional Assembly voted 10:7 to adopt a law on endorsement caps. Under the Constitution, "6. The Delegate may veto bills passed through the Assembly that have not been approved by a three-fifths majority vote. "

The previous Delegate, Blue Wolf II, declined to veto or sign the bill, which was understood to act as a kind of pocket veto.

I believe it'd be inappropriate for a Delegate to sign this after so long a time has passed, and that should anyone wish to revive this bill they should resubmit it to the Regional Assembly, but would it be legal for me to do so?

The Office of the Attorney General states that this office believes that: (1) as there is no provision in the Constitution creating a so-called "pocket veto," nor (2) making a passed bill a law after any specified time period without action by the Delegate, and further, since there is no time limit stated in the Constitution or Legal Code within which the Delegate has to veto or approve passed legislation that failed to achieve a 60% approval, the Attorney General's position is that the current Delegate may, consistent with the Constitution, approve or veto the bill that has been pending.

The Office further believes that if the Delegate wishes to have the Assembly reconsider the matter, the best course of action is to veto the current bill and request the Assembly to reconsider and revise the bill.

Grosseschnauzer:
The Office further believes that if the Delegate wishes to have the Assembly reconsider the matter, the best course of action is to veto the current bill and request the Assembly to reconsider and revise the bill.
That may be what the Delegate has in mind.

Opinion of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the request for clarifaction made by Eluvatar on Article 3, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution

Request made by Eluvatar:
Some months ago, the Regional Assembly voted 10:7 to adopt a law on endorsement caps. Under the Constitution, "6. The Delegate may veto bills passed through the Assembly that have not been approved by a three-fifths majority vote. "

The previous Delegate, Blue Wolf II, declined to veto or sign the bill, which was understood to act as a kind of pocket veto.

I believe it'd be inappropriate for a Delegate to sign this after so long a time has passed, and that should anyone wish to revive this bill they should resubmit it to the Regional Assembly, but would it be legal for me to do so?

The Court took into consideration the relevant clause from the Constitution:
Article 3.1.6 of the Constitution:
6. The Delegate may veto bills passed through the Assembly that have not been approved by a three-fifths majority vote.

The Court has determined that nowhere does the Constitution or any other law of TNP create provisions for there to be a "pocket veto". It is the Opinion of the Court that if the Delegate does not sign or Veto a Bill that bill simply waits for a decision to be made by the Delegate.

Back