Informal Vote: RA Activity Clauses

Per My post in another poll, I think we first need to see what the consensus is for whether and what to use to enforce any activity requirement. Then we can discuss particulars such as the number of days for a general posting or log in requirement (15,21, 28-30 days) or a missed vote or voting period requirement (2, 3 or 4 consecutive votes or voting periods).

So first things first:

I think the only "activity requirement" we should have is that one must maintain a nation within TNP at all times. If it moves out or CTEs only then shall we strip a citizen of their right to vote since by that merit they are no longer really a citizen at all.

The current requirements only stifle democracy in the region and yield the will of the people to those who log into the forum on a constant basis.

I think the 30 days inactive forum requirement is a good thing, but the consecutive vote stuff is not conducive towards activity.

I agree with Unibot.

Also, RA members should be PMed every time something comes up for a vote or formal discussion.

I also think that a roll call system should also be in place as follows:

When a formal discussion is completed, a roll call should be made to determine the total number of people who intend to vote. From that a specific quorum number can be derived. Then the vote proceeds, additional people who vote who did not answer the roll call modify the quorum.

Romanoffia:
Also, RA members should be PMed every time something comes up for a vote or formal discussion.
I recommend allowing RA members to choose whether they'd like to get PM'D or TG'd; that way you would really maximize our activity. If they're receiving the PMs, they're probably already on the forums and have seen the vote. The people who aren't on our forums is what we should be worried about.

Roman, have you any idea how convoluted that is? It wouldn't work, and if we have things that are required to go to a vote quickly (privileged motions, special elections, etc.) there wouldn't be time for a time delaying roll call. The quorum number is recalculated with every admission and removal from the RA, and the SPT is determined every time that happens, or there is a change in one of the elected officials not permitted to serve as Speaker Pro Tempore.

As to communications with RA members, that is something Eluvatar and I have been discussing, and at the moment, it looks like it would have to be something admin based because of limitations with the Zetaboard software platform. PMs are out of the question unless they're sent out individually, and even then we don't have the e-mail notification of PMs that we used to have.
And even if we use email addresses, the problem we're having is that some forum members delete their e-mail address once they are approved for the forum, and that makes any communication impossible.
So we're looking at how to solve these things.

Grosseschnauzer:
Roman, have you any idea how convoluted that is? It wouldn't work, and if we have things that are required to go to a vote quickly (privileged motions, special elections, etc.) there wouldn't be time for a time delaying roll call. The quorum number is recalculated with every admission and removal from the RA, and the SPT is determined every time that happens, or there is a change in one of the elected officials not permitted to serve as Speaker Pro Tempore.

As to communications with RA members, that is something Eluvatar and I have been discussing, and at the moment, it looks like it would have to be something admin based because of limitations with the Zetaboard software platform. PMs are out of the question unless they're sent out individually, and even then we don't have the e-mail notification of PMs that we used to have.
And even if we use email addresses, the problem we're having is that some forum members delete their e-mail address once they are approved for the forum, and that makes any communication impossible.
So we're looking at how to solve these things.
OK, let's simplify the whole thing.

Abolish the quorum rule, abolish activity clauses, and just determine the passage of any legislation voted on just on the merits of 50%+1, abstentions counted as no votes. If someone chooses not to vote, tough nuts on them - their inactivity shouldn't negate the activities of those that choose to participate.

And there you have it. You solve the quorum and activity issues in one fell swoop. And in this way, inactivity in no way affects whether or not the RA can function or not because of stupid quorum rules and inactivity clauses. And it saves the admins a lot of BS when it comes to masking RA members. If their nation CTEs, then they are no longer in the RA. If they move their nation out of the region, they are not in the RA anymore. That simple.

If there are 100 RA members and only 10 people choose to vote on an item, then that item passes with 6 votes.

If 100 RA members vote, then it only takes 51 votes to pass legislation.

No silly quorum, no silly activity clauses, no muss, no fuss, no more dirty diapers or complaints.

If you choose to participate, great; if you choose not to participate then it shouldn't result in the government suffering from idiopathic constipation.

How's that for a simple system?

I think I'll put it up for discussion.

!2 people have actually participated in the poll, which is about 40 percent of the number who were in the RA when this overall discussion started.

There is no clear cut majority, but the closest seems to be to only have a general activity requirement, if anything, and not the consecutive missed vote requirement.

With that in mind, I am going to start a second poll on only the length of the general activity requirement and whether it should be log-in or posting.
Maybe just maybe we can get an actual consensus.

Back