Weather Alert

I'm letting y'all know that I am in an area that has been included in a rare "high risk" warning of severe weather which means a much greater than normal possibility of severe thunderstorms that may produce high winds, large hail or tornadoes.

In fact this is only the second time such a warning has been issued by the weather service more than 24 hours in advance. The next probability assessment is due out in about an hour and again early in the morning. If you are in this area (covering much of the central U.S. from Iowa and Illinois to Oklahoma) The last time this was issued, there was a severe and major outbreak of tornadoes in the southeastern U.S. in 2006.)

If anyone else in in that area you might want to post here as well so if you have a power or communications problem everyone else will know why. (And I have no idea what to expect on the 18th floor, other than the wind is normally greater here than at ground level.

Hopefully it'll amount to nothing, but it is clear the weather service people are very nervous about this system. And from my experience, that is not a good sign, at all.

Well, my area is now under a PDS (Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Watch, a couple of hours earlier than forecast this morning, and anything may happen this evening into overnight.

It will be late Tuesday GMT time before I'm caught up enough to spend much more time here in any capacity. I'm in a time crunch because of the weekend weather and the fact that in the U.S., tax returns have to be finished by midnight Tuesday and filed or postmarked. (It is unusual for me to have it undone on a deadline, but there's been a lot going on I did not plan on.)

Back