Initial implementation of Order of Succession Amendment

Under the Omnibus legislation that has been approved by the Regional Assembly, item 6 provides that:
6. If this bill passes, the Regional Assembly will then adopt a new line of succession beyond the Vice Delegate as though a member were added to or removed from the Security Council.

This provision is a reference to newly adopted Section 4 of Article II of the Constitution, which provides:
Section 4: Non-Legislative Action

1. Whenever a new member shall be admitted to the Security Council, or a current member removed, the Regional Assembly will adopt an order of succession to the Delegacy beyond the Vice Delegate among members of the Security Council who are members of the Assembly. Such an order of succession must be adopted by simple majority vote.
2. The Regional Assembly may remove an Executive Officer by simple majority vote.
3. Executive Officer positions may be created in the Legal Code which may be filled by a simple majority vote of the Assembly when permitted by law.

Item 4 of the Omnibus legislation adopts the following new Regional Assembly Procedure:
Adoption of an Order of Succession
1. Whenever the Assembly is tasked with adopting an order of succession beyond the Vice Delegate, there will be 2 days for proposing one.
2. A default order of succession by seniority in the Security Council will be considered proposed.
3. If at the end of the proposal period no proposals have been made, the default will be subject to a simple majority vote on the question of whether to adopt it, open for five days.
4. If at the end of the proposal period there is more than one proposal, the several proposals will be subject to a vote on on the question of which of them to adopt, open for five days.
5. If at the conclusion of a vote on adopting an order of succession no order of succession shall have achieved a majority of votes cast, this procedure will begin again.

Accordingly this thread is to permit discussion of the initial default order of succession, and any alternatives to that default order of succession as directed by the Constitution and the Regional Assembly procedure.

As best as I can tell in the archived threads for the Security Council and the Regional Assembly, the order of seniority for the four currently active elected members of the Security Council is as follows:
Pasargad (elected by the R.A. on 23 December 2010)
Grosseschnauzer (elected 25 January 2011)
Eluvatar (reinstated 11 July 2011)
Felesia (elected 25 February 2012)
Great Bights Mum (reinstated 18 Apr 2012)
And that's the default order of succession.

Edited to note: Great Bights Mum would be the last name on the list since her SC reinstatement would be 18 April, if the remaskings take place as planned and just before this list goes to a vote.

Under Rule 4 this should already be at vote.

Rule 4:
1. Whenever the Assembly is tasked with adopting an order of succession beyond the Vice Delegate, there will be 2 days for proposing one.
2. A default order of succession by seniority in the Security Council will be considered proposed.
3. If at the end of the proposal period no proposals have been made, the default will be subject to a simple majority vote on the question of whether to adopt it, open for five days.

At this point, I think we'd better let the current votes finish (which they will in less than 24 hours), and after the waiting members are admitted, then the new Speaker (or whoever is then Speaker Pro Tempore) can put it to a vote.

Otherwise, admissions would be late on the 23rd, and I can hear the screaming if a vote were started now.

As it seems the default order may well fail to pass, I would suggest that someone come up with an order that may meet a better reception on the voting floor.

Being a member of the Security Council I find it'd be a conflict of interest to suggest any particular ordering.

Maybe in order of influence level? GBM has massively high influence, so it would make sense that she be at the top of the list. But I abstained from voting, as i had no definitive view either way. That's the only alternative I can think of.

Back