Appointment of Election Commissioners

Abstain

TNPer
Judicial Elections are scheduled by law to begin on the 1st of April. As we're currently less than one week away from away from this date with no election commission being chosen by the office of the delegate it falls to me as Speaker to select one or more.

As such I select myself and Eluvatar to serve as Election Commissioners for the April 2012 Judicial Elections.

For reference:
Law 26:
SECTION TWO. Judicial Elections.

1. The election cycle for the 6-month terms of The Judiciary, including the Chief Justice, and the Attorney General, shall begin on the first day of the months of April and October.
2. The Delegate must select one or more Election Commissioners to oversee the nomination and election processes, at least one week before the month in which the Election Cycle begins. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Speaker shall promptly make the appointment within 48 hours.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy shall last for seven days.
4. Voting shall begin three days after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for seven days.

Actually, that is not correct, Blue Wolf. The Constitution specifies that
8. In any instance where the Delegate is absent, incapacitated, unwilling or unable to carry out his duties the Vice Delegate shall exercise the powers of the Delegate.

Well, since I am neither "absent, incapacitated, unwilling or unable to carry out [my] duties" perhaps we should include something about "recalled" in there. :P

In any case, I don't see Pasargad stepping up to the plate...

The point is moot. Whoever the Delegate was, they did not appoint an Election Commission in time so the responsibility falls to the Speaker.

Not that I object (which I don't) but can an election commissioner also be a candidate?

Actually, nothing in the law about that so I suppose the point is moot.

TNP Law 26:
“Election Commissioner” is the individual designated under this Law to oversee and supervise a given general or judicial election. No one who may be a candidate in an election may serve as an Election Commissioner during that election. More than one Commissioner may be designated.

Roman, the judicial election, which is regularly scheduled, and the special election for Delegate are entirely separate affairs. Law 26 specifies who may be an election commissioner for s special election, depending on the office involved, and provides who appoints an election commissioner for general and judicial elections. Different people, different schedule. This time its a little unusual because the election cycles overlap, but there are differences.

As I forgot to put this in my resignation, I resign from my position as Election Commissioner for the upcoming judicial elections.

From what I can tell, we are voting with new voting instructions, so yes I believe some form of constitutional change is needed. We need to hurry though.

There is a bill sponsored by Elu that incorporates proposed language I pulled together to clean up the language in the Constitution on the required proportion to elect officials and pass any other action in the R.A., clean up the quorum language, and put the abstention rule we've had into the Constitution.

Grosseschnauzer:
There is a bill sponsored by Elu that incorporates proposed language I pulled together to clean up the language in the Constitution on the required proportion to elect officials and pass any other action in the R.A., clean up the quorum language, and put the abstention rule we've had into the Constitution.
Would you mind linking please?

Govindia:
Grosseschnauzer:
Would you mind linking please?
Security Council and Cabinet Omnibus Bill

My suggestions are in post # 8, Eluvatar's revised bill is in post # 10; there are a couple of differences (his proposal eliminates a section in Article V that otherwise needs to be amended to fix the "majority" language; one difference between us as to one word, and a change to another Law that's otherwise required for the same reason.

I hereby appoint Eluvatar to be the Election Commissioner for the duration of this Special Election and I see he already took things underway. Good :)

I am recommending on holding off on the vote until we sort out this constitutional provision.

You can't do that, Mr Speaker!

Special Elections provision:
2. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.

No, the one that was re-proposed by Grosse after the first recall, proposed by Grosse, failed. It's in the news box header at the top of the page, for gods sake. :P

Back