Regional Assembly Rules and Procedures

Abstain

TNPer
Policies and Procedures of the Regional Assembly:

For temporary reference, here is the new Section 5 of Article II of the Constitution, on voting procedures in the Regional Assembly:

Section 5: Regional Assembly Voting

1. A quorum is the minimum number of members of the Assembly required to participate through voting on all matters except elections and procedural motions. A quorum is defined as thirty per cent of the membership of the Assembly as it stands at the time a vote is taken in the Assembly.
2. Abstentions are used to signify a member's participation in a vote, but shall not be included in determining any election or any other matter voted upon by the Regional Assembly other than to determine the participation of a quorum.
3. A simple majority vote is a vote in which a majority of those voting for or against a measure vote for it.
4. A fractional majority vote is a vote in which at least that fraction of those voting for or against a measure vote for it. Fractions which may be invoked include two-thirds, three-fifths, and three-fourths.
5. Except as otherwise adopted by the Assembly as a Law or Procedure, voting in all matters shall last for seven days.

I feel that past policy on the rights of the Speaker are crippling to the Speaker and deny him or her the right to express their opinion, nor do they serve any functional purpose or have any legal standpoint (and in fact in some ways may be interpreted as violating the bill of rights, restricting a member from exercising their vote). Therefore I am repealing the previous traditions of the Speaker's to only vote "abstain" on matters in the Regional Assembly, and I feel it is best to inform the RA of this change.

From here on ought the Speaker shall vote as follows;

The Speaker shall vote however he or she wishes too just as any other member of the Regional Assembly.

I am vacating Kingborough's policy on the voting rights of the speaker, as I consider it unnecessary. In the absence of any speaker-made policy on Speaker voting rights, the Speaker may vote any which way he pleases. We don't need a speaker-made policy to tell us what the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and RA policy already make plain.

That being said, I still intend to abstain when I vote on proposals, as that is my personal choice, and my campaign promise.

Back