Amdendments to Law 28

Blue Wolf II

A Wolf Most Blue
-
TNP Nation
Blue_Wolf_II
I was looking over Dalimbar's suggested changes to Law 28 and thought there were some changes to be made in a different Article of the same law, specifically Article II, Registrant Processing and Membership Confirmation.

2. The Speaker or assigned deputy, shall respond to accept or deny applicant requests within 14 days. Failure to respond to accept or deny the applicant within the specified period will result in automatic admittance of the applicant to the Assembly.

4. The Speaker or assigned deputy will be responsible to maintain and post an updated list of Assembly members. The list shall be updated no less than once a month week

Blue Wolf, your proposal as worded would create serious problems in avoiding influx of new RA members when the RA is in the middle of a vote; and in the middle of elections.

I'm not sure that the change is necessary, would you like to explain your reasoning?

There are other paragraphs in that same Article that specifically deny new RA members from being accepted during a major vote, is that what you are talking about? Why don't we simply allow those voters to be accepted but not allow them to vote in anything that was ongoing when they were let in? Solves that issues quite nicely.

For the first part, I would have to said that it is not always that simple and easy to clear member into the RA. Sometime it is really hard to get admin's attention when their is not a lot of them around and even harder when they are irregularity in membership request. I agreed in principle though that Speaker should accept or deny it within 15 days, but would like to add a clause that said the Speaker can request additional time if the need for it arise, but that he must also explain why it is needed.

Although, that would also make our constitution even more complicated....

I have no objection to the second part of the amendment.

The proposes changes do not demand that the masking be changed but rather that the Speaker either accept or deny the application. "Respond to" has the very real potential for abuse in which application decisions can be delayed well beyond the 14 day period. That being said, 14 days is also plenty of time for a background check.

Don't you remember how long it takes to get things done around here? Sometime it takes forever to get the proxy check that I ask for from Admin and when it the check come back inconclusive, it could take even longer to get the answer from that member and to go back and discuss that with Admin.

I don't disagree with the idea that the Speaker should answer the request, I just ask that exception that provided reasonable reason be create in case of communication problems or security concern.

If there was a "security concern," the application could simply be denied outright, no? The applicant could be instructed to return with another application later.

I like these changes, though wouldn't the text need to be extended to prevent new arrivals from voting during special elections or votes which were underway when they were accepted?

Someone please add this into the text somewhere. The whole law isn't quoted, so I wouldn't know where it would most appropriately be added.

Regional Assembly members may not vote in special elections or take part in any Regional Assembly votes which were underway when their application was accepted. If they do so their vote(s) must be discarded.

We already have a clause for that:

TNP Law 28
Article 2
Legal Code:
5. No one shall be admitted or re-admitted to the Assembly when a vote is in progress on any legislative matter within the Assembly. Admission shall be effective at the conclusion of such voting.

6. No one shall be admitted or re-admitted to the Assembly when an election or special election is in progress. Admission shall be effective once the election results are announced.

Back