Special Judicial Elections

Felasia

TNPer
In accordance with TNP LAW 26 on Election Dates and Procedures, I am obliged to start a Special Judicial Election.

SECTION THREE, Special Elections

1. A special election shall be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position in accordance with this Law. A special election cycle shall last for no more than fourteen days, which must be completed prior to the beginning of the next election cycle for the vacated office or position.
2. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election shall last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy occurs or is noticed.
4. Voting shall begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for five days.
5. In all instances, a plurality shall determine who is elected to fill a vacancy. In the event of a tie, the Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall cast a tie-breaking vote.

The nomination period for the Special Judicial Elections are OPEN as of July 1, 2011 at 18.30 GMT.

The nominations period for Judicial Elections will END on July 6, 2011 at 18:31 GMT.

Please nomination individuals for the following positions:

2 Associate Justice
1 Attorney General

Candidate for Associate Justice:
- None

Candidate for Attorney General:
- None

Special Nomination Instructions:

If you nominate yourself, you will automatically be placed on the election ballot. If you are nominated by another individual you must confirm your nomination before being placed on the ballot, preceding the close of the nomination period.

Please be reminded that all candidates for all position, per constitution, must have been on The North Pacific Regional Assembly a minimum of 30 days before election nominations begin.

The rest of the Election Time Line is as follows:

Campaigning will last from July 1-13
Elections will begin on July 8 and end on July 13
Election results will be released on July 14

In my personal opinion I agree with Blackshear on that. Elu would be good as of the 4th or 5th.

How do we have two justices to elect? As far as I know we have a CJ and a AJ, and we just need one more AJ.

And I nominate Govindia for that one, since he's willing.

(And a reminder we need to adjust the election schedule for the TNP legal holiday of July 7th, per Law 23.)

Dyr Nasad was stripped of his RA status upon 15 days of inactivity. It's my understanding that his status as Justice is also nullified following this.

My interpretation is that nomination begins yesterday and Elu still need 2-3 days more.

On the fifth Elu will be eligible. Nominations end on the sixth. If he wants to run in this election, he can. He simply has to wait a few days to keep everything above board.

The law clearly states "before nominations begin."

Were I to accept a nomination I would have to prosecute myself for violation of the Constitution and argue that I should be expelled from the region! And we don't want that, do we?

Felasia:
Dyr Nasad was stripped of his RA status upon 15 days of inactivity. It's my understanding that his status as Justice is also nullified following this.
So you retroactively applied the change?

I'm not sure about that one as no one ever suggested or mentioned applying the change retroactively.

Grosseschnauzer:
Felasia:
So you retroactively applied the change?

I'm not sure about that one as no one ever suggested or mentioned applying the change retroactively.
What was the law before?

Whoa there before the removal of a justice cannot use your interpretation of the law also looking for PM where i was notified of this removal

I believe that I'm allow to interprete a law when it's related to my job, especially in the situation when I don't have Justice response after both PM and board message.

Alas, the election is hereby POSTPONED. New election date will be set within 7 days.

I sincerely hope that I will have receive answer on Dyr Nasad position by then.

Having checked the history, the law was 30 days before and Dyr Nasad was last on the forum the 11th of June, before the new law was enacted.

By the old law, Dyr Nasad would have until the 11th of July before automatic removal from the RA. The new law was passed June 25th. Fifteen days from June 25th would be July 10th. Removing Dyr Nasad any earlier is, in my opinion, retroactive application of that law and therefore unconstitutional.

EDIT:

On further review however it seems the Speaker changed the method by which Dyr Nasad was being removed to one that is unquestionable: the 2 week office-holder requirement set forth in the Constitution. This is therefore the correct time to hold the election.

Back