Special Judicial Elections

Felasia

TNPer
In accordance with TNP LAW 26 on Election Dates and Procedures, I am obliged to start a Special Judicial Election.

SECTION THREE, Special Elections

1. A special election shall be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position in accordance with this Law. A special election cycle shall last for no more than fourteen days, which must be completed prior to the beginning of the next election cycle for the vacated office or position.
2. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election shall last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy occurs or is noticed.
4. Voting shall begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for five days.
5. In all instances, a plurality shall determine who is elected to fill a vacancy. In the event of a tie, the Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall cast a tie-breaking vote.

The nomination period for the Special Judicial Elections are OPEN as of June 10, 2011 at 12:00am GMT.

The nominations period for Judicial Elections will END on June 15, 2011 at 11:59pm GMT.

Please nomination individuals for the following positions:

1 Associate Justice
1 Attorney General

Candidate for Associate Justice:
- None

Candidate for Attorney General:
- None

Special Nomination Instructions:

If you nominate yourself, you will automatically be placed on the election ballot. If you are nominated by another individual you must confirm your nomination before being placed on the ballot, preceding the close of the nomination period.

Please be reminded that all candidates for all position, per constitution, must have been on The North Pacific Regional Assembly a minimum of 30 days before election nominations begin.

The rest of the Election Time Line is as follows:

Campaigning will last from June 10-21
Elections will begin on June 16 and end on June 21
Election results will be released on June 22

Point of Order:

As a previous EC, I have to object to Eluvatar candidacy.

According to:

The TNP Constitution
Article I: Stipulations
Section 3: Miscellany
Point 7
Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.

And Further According to:

TNP Law 31- Attorney General
Section 1
Point 1
To serve as Attorney General, one must be a member of the Regional Assembly for thirty consecutive days prior to candidacy.

Eluvatar has only recently rejoined the Regional Assembly as of June 5, 2011 (making his current consecutive days serving in the Regional Assembly 8 days). And I feel that having him run in this election will violate the TNP Constitution and Laws. Granted that he does serve as an admin on this board and that he has been a prior member of The North Pacific Regional Assembly has has not served 30 consecutive day prior to his candidacy in the current Regional Assembly.

I do think that Eluvatar would be a great candidate for this position and can do the job well. However I also think that allowing him to run goes against the constitution and laws as I read and interput them.

If I am misintruputing this or missing something in the laws or constitution please let me know and I will gladly withdraw my objection.

Duly noted and I concur with you interpretation of the law, Eluvatar is removed due to a violation of the law on candidate.

D'oh! I really should have remembered that.

I really should have because of the whole mess with Tresville's election after my stint in the Delegacy. (He ran, and won, despite being ineligible at nomination time)

In looking at the RA membership list, the two names that stand out to me as potential nominees for the two offices are GBM and Govindia.

I would suggest GBM for asssociate justice (as she has served on the Court in the past to fill out an unexpired term), and Govindia for AG.

The nomination period is now closed.

There is no candidates for both positions so another round of Special Election will be held at the start of July.

Vilnoia1:
Point of Order:

As a previous EC, I have to object to Eluvatar candidacy.

According to:

The TNP Constitution
Article I: Stipulations
Section 3: Miscellany
Point 7
Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.

And Further According to:

TNP Law 31- Attorney General
Section 1
Point 1
To serve as Attorney General, one must be a member of the Regional Assembly for thirty consecutive days prior to candidacy.

Eluvatar has only recently rejoined the Regional Assembly as of June 5, 2011 (making his current consecutive days serving in the Regional Assembly 8 days). And I feel that having him run in this election will violate the TNP Constitution and Laws. Granted that he does serve as an admin on this board and that he has been a prior member of The North Pacific Regional Assembly has has not served 30 consecutive day prior to his candidacy in the current Regional Assembly.

I do think that Eluvatar would be a great candidate for this position and can do the job well. However I also think that allowing him to run goes against the constitution and laws as I read and interput them.

If I am misintruputing this or missing something in the laws or constitution please let me know and I will gladly withdraw my objection.
No Enif, I don't think you do. I quoted what I previously wrote.

I'm sure they noticed, but I think some folks were trying to get themselves on the record.

And Falconkats, as Chief Justice does have the power to appoint an acting Attorney General until that office is filled by a special election. The Court also has a rule permitted the current members to appoint a third member as a temporary judicial officer if a three judge panel is needed before that seat is filled.

Not the best situation, but certainly avoids complete paralysis.

Back