Embassy of The Rejected Realms

00yybWU.png

The North Pacific,

Today is May 26th, the anniversary of the end of Pixiedance's delegacy. We congratulate the natives of the North Pacific on its 10th Manumission Day, a pivotal event in history that allowed the North to continue its democratic governance and traditions.

May Democracy continue to prevail in the North.

Libetarian Republics
Foreign Affairs Officer
The Rejected Realms

TRRUpdate.jpg

Update no. 17, July 2015

Hello. LR here as the Foreign-Affairs Officer of TRR. It's been awhile since our last update, so I hope you all don't miss us too much and enjoy this pleasant update :) .

New Delegate Elected

Most excitingly, we have a new Delegate. Following an intense election campaign, former TRR Delegate and prominent RRA Commander Guy was elected Delegate, replacing Unibot.

The election was initiated by Gradea, who first announced his challenge, reasoning that a year was too long for any GCR delegate to hold office. This drew inspiration from the community, as Cormac and Crazygirl also challenged for the position. Finally, Guy placed his name on the ballot. The campaign was fierce and the debates were intense, leading to a number of candidates withdrawing from the race. At the end of the election, the results were clear: McMasterdonia/Guy, a committed member of the community since 2011, pulled a clear majority, ending Unibot's time as Delegate. We thank Unibot for his time at TRR.

Guy highlighted his major plans for the Delegacy as being the improvement of cooperation with other regions on cultural and security matters, as well as continuing the engagement and close relations with the on-site community.

Election Season: Yup, There Were More

As mentioned in our last update prior to this one, TRR's constitution was modified to have regular Officer elections every 4 months, to be held every April, August and December. Since then, we also decided to accommodate regular elections for the position of Speaker of the Assembly, who is primarily responsible for maintenance of debate in TRR's legislature. Elections for the Speaker are now held every four months in-between regular Officer elections. Delegate elections, however, will continue to remain on a challenge basis.

The April Officer elections resulted in fierce competition as seven candidates, both newcomers and veterans alike, contested for the four available positions. The results were as follows:

*Christian Democrats (WA Affairs)
*Kyorgia (Internal Affairs)
*Libetarian Republics (Foreign Affairs)
*Sad-States (Human Resources)

Prior to the Delegate election, the June Speaker elections were held. Guy was re-elected unopposed. Following his election to the Delegacy and vacation of the Speakership, a new contest was held for Speaker.

Two candidates put themselves forward for Speaker: ChurchofSatan and Tim Stark, otherwise known as Osiris' Pharaoh. Following a very tight vote, and the candidates making their cases to the best of their abilities, Tim eventually secured the Speakership with a vote of 10-6. We're looking forward to the Timtatorship his most benevolent Speakership.

Helping Lazarus

The formation of the NLO in Lazarus and subsequent conflict strongly affected all aspects of TRR life. Lazarus is the RR's closest and oldest friends, the true bonds of friendship also being reflected by no less than four treaties. TRR immediately took the lead in responding to the situation, first attempting to secure a diplomatic solution through encouragement of the NLO regime to undo its devestating actions, and then more proactive measures through deployment of the RRA and the provision of temporary shelter and BBQ to the Lazarene natives-in-exile. TRR further boosted diplomatic support for the LUS by withdrawing embassies from the NPO and voting for their condemnation.

The RRA was closely involved with the Lazrene liberation attempt, with several RRA veterans leading the charge against the NLO through endo-tarting and RMB support. More importantly, the clandestine plan that eventually led to the NLO's demise with closely supported by RRA Commanders Frattastan and Guy.

We wish our Lazarene friends all the best with their new government and Constitution, and we are looking forward to continuing working with them closely.

Speaker's Report

Howdy everyone! While I'm currently serving in another office, I had the privilege of being TRR's Speaker for the previous few months beforehand.

The last two months were very busy ones in TRR's Assembly. Delegate Unibot laid out an ambitious legislative reform agenda, which included both Constitutional and statutory changes.

First, following passionate debate on our regional identity, TRR chose to entrench in its Constitution its respect for the principle of regional self-determination and opposition to invasions. This idea seems to have caught on, with our Lazarene friends using similar wording in their new Constitution. Second, as mentioned above, regular elections were extended to the Speakership. Lastly, TRR enacted its very first Charter of Civil Rights, which provides for ten rights afforded to all Rejectees, that decision-makers should have regard to.

Treaties have also been keeping the RR busy, with no less than eight treaties being ratified this year alone. Many of the Treaties involve reaching out to regions not usually involved in Gameplay, such as International Northwestern Union, while others are with more established regions such as Osiris.

Some proposals have not enjoyed as much success. Gradea proposed legislation relating to Vice Delegates, forming a Security Council (bearing a likeness to TNP's) and providing the power to declare nations Persona non Grata to the Delegate. These proposals were rejected by the community, as they had either already been provided for by existing law, or they failed to take into account TRR's unique situation in lacking the power of ejection. We wish Gradea every success with his future legislative endeavours.

Rejected Realms Army's News

The RRA is still here, and still defending 12 years since its inception. It participated in several defensive missions including liberation of belgium, Eternal Scholars, and A Blank Canvas. The RRA assisted with the delegate transitions in the North Pacific & supported the liberation efforts during the recent Lazarus crisis.

News In Brief
* The Citizenship Council is under new management. The Council consists of long-standing citizens Frattastan, Guy, and Christian Democrats.

* Natives of Taco Island invade Kandyland! Recently, the natives of 10000 Islands arrange a friendly visit to the Rejected Realms RMB. We celebrate with BBQ & Tacos.

* CG complains for more coffee

Nice to see TRR up and about again. Good luck to the new team!

AhNv8iK.png

THE REJECTED REALMS MEDIA CORPORATION
ISSUE #1 | OCTOBER 2015

The Delegate's Corner (By Guy)
A new publication, Regional Officers, and everything in between

princeharry-cover-e1438924524110.jpg

Howdy, all. Firstly, I'd like to welcome you to the Rejected Realms' new publication, The Monthly Reject. Our object is to provide you with the very best of Rejects' creative output, whether it relates to NationStates news, commentary, real-life happenings, or interviews. Please take a read and enjoy, wherever your interests lie.

Our hugely successful predecessor publication, The Rejected Times, went into a slump of inactivity and eventual death with the departure of the predecessor in my role. The Times was by far the most prolific and successful media publication in NS Gameplay, and we will be sure to look to take after many of its successes.

There have also been some changes made, aimed at ensuring the highest level of quality of our output (such as through the transition to monthly editions) and at clearly delineating what stands as official TRR communication and what is simply the opinion of our members. Put simply, we have become a more community-based publication that seeks to showcase our very best. Apart from this editorial and the foreign update, the contributions to this publication are not reflective of any official stances of our government.

Undoubtedly, the biggest news in NationStates over the past few weeks has been the introduction of Regional Officers. A feature that could have much potential was thrown into immediate controversy due to one small part: the ability to give multiple nations Border Control powers in a founderless region.

Anyone with even a smidgen of understanding of the invasion game will realise that this part makes liberations all but impossible as up to 13 nations can now kick incoming liberators at an influence cost of zero. Anyone with half an eye on recent happenings in the invasion game -- or anytime in the past 3-4 years, really -- would also know that there is no longer anything resembling 'R/D'. Liberal Border Control access is not equally advantageous to raiders on the one hand and to natives and defenders on the other; rather, it creates a platform that provides for increasingly easy invasions against natives with an off-chance of defensive action being the only thing standing in the way.

The invasion game has been in need of a serious rebalancing act. Instead, it has been tilted even further toward offensive invasions with this new feature. An immediate fix is needed before the last few defenders hang their switchers. So where to now? The latest news post recognises these issues and lists some potential fixes. While there is likely to be a great divergence of opinion, it's important that this matter be resolved sooner rather than later to mitigate the abuse that we are likely to see over the coming days and, perhaps, weeks.

The potential for abuse, of course, is not limited only to invaders in founderless UCRs. Our fellow Feeders and Sinkers -- but not us, of course, as we thankfully don't have an eject button! -- are sure to pay particular attention to the effects of giving Border Control powers to multiple nations. Not only can Delegates find themselves vulnerable; but, as part of a coordinated push, the feature can also make coups almost impossible to repel. One needs look no further than to the New Lazarene Order, which would probably still be with us had ROs already been implemented, to understand the implications.

That's all from me for now. Enjoy the rest of the issue! :)

New Pacifican Leader: Never a Firm Francoist?
Christian Democrats sits down with Emperor Pierconium

15-03-1990-gorbachev-duoc-bau-lam-tong-thong-lien-xo.12.jpg

CD: Hello, Emperor Pierconium, and thank you for agreeing to this interview. Would you mind, for our readers, giving a concise overview of your time in the New Pacific Order?

Pier: I joined shortly after the revolution and observed, initially as a spy on behalf of the ADN. I then joined the Praetorian Guard. I was appointed by Francos Spain as Governor of Province V in March 2004. Towards the end of the original NPO era Poskrebyshev named me as High Judge of the Pacific. When the People's Republic of the Pacific was formed, I became Senator of Justice. I then became Viceroy of the Pacific and then Emperor of the NPO after the closure of the PRP. I stepped down after some months in favor of others but have periodically returned to serve within the Pacific Senate until taking the Regent position and Emperorship earlier this year. I have served as Delegate of the Pacific three times with Pierconium and have had control of the Delegate nation two other times in the past.

CD: One of your first acts as Emperor has been to reinstitute the provincial system and appoint governors. What do you hope to accomplish by this act, and should Pacificans and the international community expect any other major reforms during your reign?

Pier: It is my hope that the provincial system will provide a more active engagement with the region as a whole and generate more activity. A feeder is very large and even the most active of them only engages a small minority on their offsite community. This is a means of more direct communication between the government and the nations of the region. Each Governor is charged with setting up his or her own system of government within the province and facilitating larger interaction between nations that is difficult from a purely top down approach. Though we are still in the early stages, so far it has been successful in reaching out to nations that might otherwise be missed in such a large system.

CD: Another early act of your government has been the introduction of a new regional currency: the denarius. Does the Pacific's abandonment of the franco represent an abandonment or a rethinking of Francoism (a perestroika of sorts), or does the NPO remain firmly committed to the Francoist doctrines on which it has been established?

Pier: I have never been a firm Franocist. In the past, I found it to be a useful tool in managing the dichotomy between feederites and userites but to me it has always been just that, a tool. But, as with many such doctrines, as times change so must they, or those that support them risk becoming obsolete. The shift in regional currency is a measure of our shift away from the dogma and hero worship of the past. I am more concerned with the Pacific's place in the present and future than distant memories and ghosts.

CD: Is Krulltopia's leadership over the NPO's armed forces a shift away from dogma? My readers will certainly have their doubts. What sort of foreign policy should we expect to see from the Pacific during your reign: a continuation of interventionism, a move toward liberal cosmopolitanism, or an autarkic or isolationistic focus on internal improvements?

Pier: The armed forces of the Pacific have been defunct for quite a while, and even in their previous incarnations they left much to be desired in my opinion. It is my hope that Krull can organize a military that can assist in the defense of other GCRs (as we did recently in TWP) and work in conjunction with various groups towards goals that meet with my vision. I do not see the Revolutionary Guard as an extension of Pacifican power so much as a means of assisting our friends in times of need.

As to our foreign policy, I am well aware of the errors made in the past regarding our interventionist practices and if nothing else, I learn from our mistakes. So no, the NPO has no plans to be interventionist (beyond normal diplomatic influence) or meddle directly into the affairs of other GCRs. I am currently focused primarily upon internal improvements to the region but have also made repairing the damage to our relations with the other GCRs (and the larger UCRs) a priority.

CD: I see that you've already reestablished relations with the East Pacific. Did TEP approach you, or did you approach them? Are you currently working on mending fences with any other feeder or sinker regions?

Pier: I approached them. And yes, I am working towards better relations with all of the GCRs. I am hopeful to have at least Embassies/diplomatic communication with each of the GCRs within a few months time. I am understanding that this is much easier said than done in some instances but the olive branch is there.

CD: Do you have any final thoughts that you would like to share with our readers?

Pier: I think we have covered most of the questions fairly well and I thank you for taking the time to conduct the interview. I will say that I have been the evil dictator, the indifferent dictator, the inactive dictator, and myriad other sorts here in NS and The Pacific in the past. And while I make no claims of being a great reformer and have no plans to disrupt the structure of the New Pacific Order, I would actually like to be the enlightened and engaged dictator for a change. Thanks!

CD: I very much enjoyed this interview.

The Rules They Are a-Changin' (By Kenny)
GA players grapple with mods over new proposal guidelines

Bob2.jpg

Gaby and Carlos are on the outs again after Gaby discovered that the only reason she got pregnant was that Carlos was tampering with her birth control pills because he is going to prison for nine months and wants to make sure she doesn't stray. But the thing is, Gaby doesn't even know if the baby is his; it could be her teenage gardener's! Crazy, right? Well, that's not all. 'Cause Susan is devastated now that Mike has broken it off with her for going through his things and discovering a gun and stacks of cash in his kitchen cabinet. And now the loathsome Mrs. Huber knows that Susan was the one who accidentally burned Edie's house down and is trying to blackmail her. Lynette's still hooked on her kids' Ritalin because she doesn't know how to get all her housework done and still keep after her four screaming kids without it. Yeah, she's boring. But get this: Bree wants to punish her oldest, Andrew, to let him know that getting drunk and running down the neighbor lady with his dad's car was wrong. But she doesn't have a strong male role model around the house anymore because Rex was forced to move out after Bree found out he was sleeping with a prostitute. Oh, man! This shit just keeps getting juicier and juicier!

All of this, of course, has nothing to do with the subject of the article. But how else are you supposed to make the GA Rules Summit sound interesting? Perhaps if I told the story in Marklar? *Ahem!*:

Some marklars are concerned about the marklars' rewriting of the marklars -- actually, "marklarred" is a marklar; "marklarred" is more like it because of secret marklars and five key marklars are being dumped. Those marklars will just have to pleasure themselves with the marklars in their marklars from now on. ... Yeah, that's not working either.

OK, so what's been going on is, after much discussion about all the rules, Mallorea and Riva has finally posted an updated version of them. Most of the "new" rules read just like the old ones, actually, but with some minor tinkering and rewording to make some things clearer because some players still can't hear the term "House of Cards" without fantasizing about Kevin Spacey, etc.

But five rules were dropped in the initially proposed new ruleset, namely those banning branding, NatSov repeals, ideological bans, so-called "pure blockers," and "committee-only" proposals. What are these things? I'm so glad you asked! Here they are in a nutshell:
  • Branding is naming more than one co-author in your proposal, thanking the members of your region and/or alliance for their input, or "signing" your proposal with your own nation name or stuff like: "Submitted on behalf of the High King of Camelot, Arthur Pendragon. Long may he reign." That's always been banned under the UN/WA rules (though not necessarily under the SC as they obviously have different conventions); but, under Mall's proposal, it won't be anymore.
  • NatSov repeals are repeals whose arguments can basically be boiled down to: "This resolution sucks because it infringes on members' national sovereignty." Since practically any resolution can be criticized that way and since the GA is under no obligation to respect national sovereignty (or so the original justification went), that's been a no-no, at least until the current draft.
  • Ideological bans are attempts to ban certain types of governments, like dictatorships, theocracies, monarchies, democratic republics, etc., etc. Not exactly sure why that's always been banned, but that's the way it is.
  • "Pure blockers" are proposals that do nothing but try to forbid the WA from passing certain types of legislation. Since WA laws actually have to include some kind of, uh, law, and not just ban certain types of WA laws, this is also right out. (Some bright guy actually wrote a guide on legal blockers, which you can read here.)
  • "Committee-only" proposals are proposals that do nothing but establish committees. It's always been preferred that such committees only be established to complement actual legislation, not just a substitute for it.
So anyway, Marklar indicated that his marklar was only to delete marklars and not to enforce arbitrary marklars ... umm, sorry. *ahem!*

Mall told players that the reason the rules were being dropped was because they only existed to create arbitrary standards for resolutions and that it should not be the mods' job to enforce them: "I don't see it as my place to be enforcing particular viewpoints or anything besides minimalistic standards upon the GA." But when a particularly sharp and good-looking chap pointed out that the rules do a bit more than just "enforce viewpoints" on legislators, he got no response.

Add to that, at least two other moderators, Mousebumples and Frisbeeteria, indicated that Mall's viewpoint on those rules was not necessarily the official or majority view and that other mods had expressed a desire to keep those particular rules. (Mall has since indicated that he was "outvoted" by the other mods on Branding and that that rule, at least, would be coming back.) But since the minutes of those Modcave proceedings are under lock and key, it's not really known at this point if Mall's proposed ruleset is even official, if the other mods are on board or even just tacitly going along, if there are other proposed revisions out there that got outvoted, if Ardchoille will ever post in the GA forum again, if UFoC is going to have to replace his ambassador yet again after a few months, if there is indeed a companion star to the Sun orbiting beyond the Oort cloud that occasionally sends comets hurdling toward Earth every 65 million years, if Kenny's ever going to get tired of threatening to suicide-bomb the WA every time he doesn't get his way -- WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!? WHY IS EVERYTHING ALL BLURRY?? WHAT IS THIS STRANGE THROBBING FEELING IN MY EARS?? WHY DO MY EYES HURT ALL OF A SUDDEN?! WHY IS THAT DUDE'S FACE SO FUGLY?! -- (*at this point, Kenny's head explodes*)

(Sighs.) Ahhh, that was fun. In the meantime, other new rules are being submitted and discussed by players (for example, a "single subject rule" to prevent proposals from addressing more than one issue at a time as well as a new appeals process), a new convention appears to be emerging about "dissenting opinions" from mods who disagree with a GA ruling (like in the Supreme Court), even some proposed revisions of the "dropped" rules are being batted around, and I'm pretty sure in one thread someone's crazy uncle gets drunk and starts dancing naked on the table. So what the heck are you all waiting for?! Head on over to the General Assembly forum and join in the FUN!!!

Alright then, I'm gonna go get drunk. And if I hear from any of you later on that "perhaps you've had enough," I'm gonna marklar your marklar so markling hard, you'll have to get your marklar out of a marklar for an entire marklar, you markling marklar!!!

An Update from the Foreign Office (By Libetarian Republics)
Elections, treaties, embassies, and more

Perez_EDStoneNewDelhi_ASonsUntoldStory.jpg

It's back to school folks, or at least it was awhile back. Things became a little quiet as the summer concluded, but nonetheless I hope to bring some exciting news on what's happening in the Rejected Realms! :)

Election Season: Back to School

As mentioned in our last update, TRR's constitution has regular Officer elections every four months, to be held every April, August, and December. Prior to the August election, Delegate Guy restructured the cabinet to meet the needs of the community: Foreign Affairs, Media, Human Resources, and Culture (WA Affairs and Internal Affairs from the previous term were discontinued for the time being). There are two primary objectives laid out by Guy: restarting the Media Department (i.e., the Rejected Realms Media Corporation) and increasing social interactions and cultural events with allied/friendly regions to sustain current relationships.

Six candidates, including veterans and newcomers, vied for four spots in the Cabinet. Incumbents Libetarian Republics, Sad-States, and Christian Democrats won back their spots relatively easily. The final spot was heavily contested among incumbent Kyrogia, veteran Church of Satan, and newcomer Gradea. CoS attracted the votes necessary to overcome the other two candidates.

The final results were as follows:
  • Libetarian Republics (Foreign Affairs)
  • Sad-States (Human Resources)
  • Christian Democrats (Media)
  • The Church of Satan (Culture)
Halfway through the term, Sad-States resigned, citing increased real-life obligations. Gradea defeated Kyorgia 7-4 in a by-election for Human Resources, recently renamed the Integration Office by Delegate Guy.

Assembly Report

* The Rejected Realms is pleased to pass the Fifth Agreement on Friendship & Cooperation with the region of Australia. In the time after Australia's refounding, TRR has extended a hand to cultivate better relations.

* Minor debates occurred in the Assembly, including one over the legality of Delegate Guy's action when he changed the regional flag to a variant in apparent contravention of the Flag Act. The Delegate justified his actions as coming under the "cultural purposes" exception. The debate dissipated eventually with the return of the "official" flag.

* Eluvatar proposed the idea of codifying regional laws (compiling our acts into a single document), similar to the North Pacific's Legal Code. Many citizens expressed opposition, arguing that the maintenance of separate acts with an on-site index (via dispatch) provides clarity to the legal structure for residents. A consensus was reached, however, that the regional Assembly's forum will have to be reorganized at some point to distinguish laws and treaties, which are currently mixed together in a single subforum. More work for the admin slaves.

* Delegate Guy raised the prospect of requiring the Delegate to submit regular activity plans to the regional Assembly, which would be subject to a vote of confidence. Further, it was suggested that the failure of such a vote would trigger an election for the Delegate position. While Rejects approved the idea of the submission of regular plans, they were divided on the question of amending the Constitution to initiate elections should the Delegate's plans not be approved.

* The Rejected Realms sadly announced the termination of its Agreement on Friendship & Cooperation with the region of the Royal Alliance, which spontaneously withdrew its in-game embassy and which violated several terms in the Agreement. The Royal Alliance founder ejected the entire native population. A subsequent inquiry was made by Delegate Guy about the future of our relationship. With no response from the founder and with no prospect of restoring the region in sight, the regional Assembly unanimously repealed the Agreement.

Rejected Realms Army News

The RRA deployed several soldiers as part of a wide-scale defender operation in Hogwarts. Hogwarts had been under the control of Lone Wolves United until intelligence discovered that the player controlling the founder nation was leaving the game. The RRA deployed in assistance, returning the region back to native hands.

The RRA also participated in the liberation of Asia, the first liberation following the introduction of Regional Officers. An extensive allied sleeper operation kept alive the region's hope of liberation with a few RRA soldiers participating as defensive sleepers. The remaining core group of RRA soldiers entered at the major update, including RRA Commander Guy, who sent a non-WA to fool the raiders. The success of the operation came at a slim margin (44-43) for the natives/defenders. More information can be seen here.

News In Brief

* TRR is in the process of trying to start up its Roleplay sector. Roleplayers, both new and experienced, are welcome to participate.

* We officially have embassies with Canada again! We're glad to see Almonaster, the Canadian ambassador, back on our forums.

* We're also pleased to have a new embassy with Yggdrasil!

Easter Eggs: Part 3 (By Dr George)
A continuation of a series of articles from The Rejected Times

6a00e54efa022688330120a5b8d144970b-pi

#080: Easter Egg: Aliens Wish Peace/Trade Agreement

The Issue
Aliens have landed in the fields of @@NAME@@ and they wish to trade and have peace.

The Debate
1. "Take us to your kneader!" says @@RANDOMNAME_REVERSED@@, alien lawyer. "We have heard wonders of @@NAME@@'s pizza, and must have it. We are certain that a valuable trade route can be set up between our peoples. You could have our first born, for example." Your Secretary of Trade is shocked, "First Born?! That's slavery!" but quickly calms down upon discovery that their young are considered a great delicacy there. "You know, maybe we should open up trade with them?"

2. The Coalition of No ETs wants you to stay out of this. @@RANDOMNAME@@ says "Them darn aliens thingies are going to take advantage of the situation an kill us all! You must ban all trade with them. If they want my cattle, it will be over my dead body!"

Trigger: Conventional wisdom: "produce a whole heck of a lot of pizza." When we last had the WA ranking of largest Pizza Delivery Sector, I asked the top 10 nations if they'd ever had this Easter Egg and none remembered having it. The nations I've seen have this have not necessarily had Pizza Delivery as their largest industrial sector. There aren't many pizza-related issues and there's no clear path to making Pizza Delivery your #1 industry, even if that were the trigger, which it apparently is not, at least not by itself.

If you choose option 1, you will get delivery calls from Saturn and conceivably a small bump in your Economy. Option 2 is for the (literally) xenophobes among us, and I don't recall ever seeing someone answer it this way.

#256: Easter Egg: Suburbs Are Out Of This World

The Issue
High crime rates have made the inner cities of @@NAME@@'s largest conurbations increasingly dangerous and undesirable places to live. The mass exodus of the middle class from city centers has escalated to the extent that the suburbs and exurbs of major cities are beginning to collide, leaving no land for expansion. In response, a group of well-to-do soccer moms are petitioning the government for funds to establish white-collar living space... on the Moon.

The Debate
1. "Crime is perpetually increasing," says Chastity Elizabeth Prescott as she adjusts the sweater tied like a cape over her shoulders. "Just yesterday my little John Alexander Stuart's after-school Bigtopianese tutor was attacked by a gang of hoodlums! Our children deserve safe housing and exactly manicured lawns no greater than two inches in grass blade height! With a sufficient colonization effort, we can commute from communities on the Moon to the industries in our big cities. You must support this--think of the children!"

2. "Rockets?!" shrieks noted bleeding heart Sunflower Earthchild Starbeam, pulling her knit cap more closely over her ears. "Think of the pollution, and the danger! What if there's an accident? This cockamamie scheme must clearly be banned! And you thought cars were bad- wait! Cars ARE bad!"

3. "Everyone knows urban blight is caused by the flight of capital to the suburbs and exurbs," notes the prominent left-wing economist Engelbert Pinquo. "Running away to the Moon will solve nothing. Capital, and those who have it, must be brought back to the inner city... by force if need be."

4. "Stone the crows! We're trapped between hippies, communists and soccer moms," grumbles Vice Admiral Freddy Broadside. "We need breathing room, and everyone knows there ain't no air on the Moon! So let's get it the old-fashioned way - by invading our neighbors! Outpost Uber Alles will fall to the might of @@NAME@@!"

Trigger: Crippling crime rate (perhaps continuously for as long as a year).

I'm not a big fan of this Easter Egg. Option 1 conceivably adds some pollution to your environment and possibly increases your tax rate. Option 2 appears to be an anti-economy option. Option 3 is clearly the low freedoms option. Option 4 is the bellicose option. So if you're an environment-loving, economy-loving, freedoms-loving, and peace-loving nation, there doesn't appear to be much for you here. I have usually dismissed it. If you want to have another Easter Egg added to your total, I'd choose option 1, unless one of the other options fits your nation's POV.

Greater German Reich Raided (By New Tuva SSR)
NationStates' most (in)famous Nazi region falls to communists and socialists

SovietsBerlin.jpg

One of the larger far-right regions on NationStates, the Greater German Reich, has fallen. A coalition led by a leftist alliance known as The Red Fleet took over on September 24, 2015. The raid took over 100 nations from 17 leftist regions and was celebrated as a major victory against the Fascist front on NationStates.

On the eve of September 23, a mass of Communist and Socialist nations snuck into the region using cleverly disguised puppets and endorsed a nation known as Seditia. When the morning and the update came, the GGR was in confusion. Left and right, Seditia was using his newfound influence to take out all of the key members. Then came the exodus. A refugee crisis took place. Most of the pre-raid nations left and are currently spread out across NationStates.

The Greater German Reich, along with Nazi Europa, was, before the raid, the largest far-right region on NationStates. At the time of this writing, no organized attempt to take back the region has taken place. This has certainly been one of the biggest achievements by left-wing forces in the raiding game in recent history, the successful infiltration and overthrow of the (in)famous Greater German Reich by the Red Fleet.

Zombie Survival Guide (By Dr George)
How to make it through the impending Halloween plague

cat-vs-baby-funny-15-379x375.jpg

Regarding the Zombie Apocalypse mini-game, as of last year, there are three basic approaches (there's no guarantee this year will be exactly the same):

(1) Cure the Zombies;
(2) Kill the Zombies; and
(3) Join the Zombies.

If you decide on option 1, you will tell NS that your nation is "researching a cure." After about an hour, your nation will start building Cure Missiles which you can fire at other nations in the region. Once a nation is zombie-free, it tends to stay that way unless it has chosen option 3, or someone else who has chosen option 3 re-infects it.

If you decide on option 2, you will develop roving death squads that turn zombies into dead people. As above, you can send your death squads into other nations in the region to kill their zombies too.

If you decide on option 3, you will become very infected very quickly. After an hour or so, you will be able to infect your neighbours or go to other regions and "spread the wealth."

If you want to survive the ZA and emerge infection-free (highest score), here's the plan:

I. At the beginning of the crisis, have the founder temporarily close your region's borders to keep out unwanted "guests." This is not so true of TRR, since a clever nation can ask its Executive to eject them to gain entry into TRR.
II. I strongly suggest EVERYONE in your region research the cure. The point of the game is to have the most survivors, so dead people don't count.
III. Anyone who wants to join the zombies should voluntarily leave the region or be temporarily ejected for the duration of the crisis. Again, TRR is uniquely ill-equipped for this strategy.
IV. Particularly at the beginning, when your Cure Missiles are weakest, target the largest nations first -- your first few missile strikes will go a surprisingly long way with those nations with 20,000,000,000+ populations.
V. As the largest nations become zombie-free, turn your attention to other nations, especially apparently inactive ones. Your missiles will be getting stronger, so it won't be QUITE so tedious to rid medium and smaller nations of Zombies. If you leave even a few million Zombies, they will start multiplying again, so be sure the nation you're curing goes completely infection-free!
VI. It takes a minute or so between missile shots, so I advocate that you have 2 or 3 nations (or more if you're really efficient or have someone helping you) online at the same time with different browsers. You might have nation W on Chrome, X on Opera, Y on MSIE, and Z on Safari. Once you fire one missile, immediately switch to the next nation and so forth. By the time you've used your last browser, the first one will be ready to go again!
VII. Be aware that when a nation is hit with any of the three approaches, it cannot do anything for 60-90 seconds, so if you see nations being very active, don't strike them at first. Wait until they stop firing before curing them.
VIII. Perhaps you and 1-2 friends can tag-team a particular nation at a time, continuously bombarding it with cure missiles--it will become infection-free MUCH faster that way.
IX. As the night wears on, network with other awake nations to find any obscure nations with remaining infection.
X. Report any "Join Zombie" nations for ejection. (Obviously, for every region except TRR).
XI. Once the region is completely infection-free (usually the next day), you might consider voluntarily leaving your region to help out some other region, which will be deeply appreciated. Be sure you return to your home base before the end of the crisis so your population counts in the scoring.
XII. Even if you don't plan to stay up at all late, still be sure to research the cure in the first hour of the crisis, so you can at least heal yourself. STARTING EARLY IS KEY. If you wait until 99% of your population is zombified or dead, you won't have any resources to research the cure, since all your scientists will be in the bellies of the walkers! :D

If you and your region decide to embrace your inner zombies:

A. Starting early remains critical. Be aware, though, that zombies naturally die from the infection eventually.
B. Since the game is biased in favour of zombies, a region that willingly embraces Zombieism will become totally infected rather quickly. Note that even when you reduce a nation's living population to 0, living people will spring out of the thin air at the updates.
C. You should play with 2-4 nations, too, each on a separate browser. Particularly once you leave your home region to spread the Zombie love, you will want to be able to respond disproportionately if some fool fires a Cure Missile at you. Show them no mercy!
D. When possible, you should case the region you want to infect to find the largest nations. Your first ravenous horde or two will create many more zombies than they would in a smaller nation.
E. Especially when you're raining on the party of some do-gooder region, work quickly, as you will probably be ejected once the populace realizes your mission, unless you've gone to a founderless region with no WA delegate. Suckers!
F. The feeders and sinkers tend to become blood baths, as do larger regions without a survival plan. The mega-large feeders can have massive losses and still make a showing on the "Most Survivors" board, so give them as much Hell as you can!
G. Be aware of what your prey is doing or not doing. If they are also spreading zombies, leave them alone unless you want to send them a bloody valentine so to speak. Inactive nations should be your favoured prey.
H. Should a group of undead bigots totally cure you, you will continue to make more zombies, and you can always ask a zombie patriot to re-infect you too.
I. Should you decide to call it a night early, be sure you're joining the zombies and in a zombiephilic region when you log out. There's nothing worse than seeing a string of Cure Missiles have been fired at you all night while you slept the Sleep of the (Un)Dead. ;)
J. You CAN research two or all three paths. Since the primary score is the number of living, uninfected citizens, sending in a band of death squads to kill zombies may be a more effective strategy at lowering a region's score, since the Really Dead cannot be cured.

Remember, this is a game, so have fun playing with the zombies! Note that once the crisis is over, there will be no permanent effects on your nation -- everyone will return to their complete populations, no more zombies, etc.

October Issue Comic:

http://static.existentialcomics.com/comics/philosophyHumans.jpg

ySQubvs.png

Update no. 18, December 2015

Greetings friends and allies! It's been five months since our last update so we're overdue for another one. Here's what's been happening in The Rejected Realms!

New Delegate Elected

Back in mid-June Guy was elected delegate and he did a good job. Unfortunately Guy stepped down because he no longer had the time to lead our government. Maybe he'll come back to the big chair someday. We would certainly appreciate it. This time around we had 4 candidates for the delegacy, Crazy Girl, kyorgia, Libetarian Republics and Christian Democrats. In true TRR tradition, Crazy Girl ran for delegate with no intention of actually taking the job. In fact that was her campaign. Kyorgia campaigned a strong emphasis on Recruitment and Integration. Libetarian Republics campaigned with a focus on Foreign Affairs, Culture and Integration. Christian Democrats campaigned with a very strong emphasis on quality & efficiency, hoping to merge various parts of the forum and improve the quality of work each department would pursue. After voting ended it seemed that Crazy Girl would have won by just one vote. However at the last second she withdrew from the race, not anticipating that she would win. Following voting procedure, the results were finalized.

38akscQ.png

Most of the candidates campaigns were positive overall, however concerns over Christian Democrats pro-life views with regards to World Assembly votes came up when he confirmed that there could be times when he would disregard the citizens choices in favor of his own. This contributed in some manner to the overwhelming success of Libetarian Republics' campaign. Libetarian Republics was elected with 11 votes. Although Christian Democrats protested the results due to Crazy Girl's withdrawal from the race, it would do little more than prolong an unnecessary conversation.

Officer Elections

Officer elections this time around was not so competitive as the delegate election. There were just enough candidates to fill all four positions, leaving just a confirmation vote. Incumbents Church of Satan and kyorgia ran for re-election, retaining their places in the cabinet. New faces to the regional government "game", 98X and SpiderJerusalem ran as well. All four candidates were elected with no competition or campaigning. Delegate-elect Libetarian Republics would place Church of Satan as Foreign Affairs Officer, kyorgia as Outreach Officer, 98X as Culture Officer and SpiderJerusalem as Media Officer. Outreach, the first change enacted by Libetarian Republics, is in charge of both recruitment AND integration. With the cabinet elected work has begun in making The Rejected Realms better. Here's hoping for a great term!

TRR at The NS World Fair

At the fourth annual NS World Fair, The Rejected Realms would once again celebrate Rejectmas with friends from across NationStates. As it did last year, Rejectmas went over well with visitors proclaiming "I love disconnected culture! Have a very hairy Rejectmas everyone", "I love your rejectmas manual too.", "Tangerines!" and "This is the most interesting regional booth I've visited so far." Tangerines and omelettes abound, Rejects and visitors alike took part in the traditional Rejectmas activities of truth-saying, fear-sharing and telling one another what they would lock up in cabinets so as to prevent their theft by The Silver Ghost. The new addition to our booth however, was a cryptic puzzle created by then Culture Officer, Church of Satan, who would discover that no fair-goer was able to solve it, both to his surprise and dissatisfaction. All things considered, everyone had a very smooth Rejectmas.

RRA Update

Over the last 5 months the RRA has taken part in numerous missions. Most notably its participation in the liberation and refounding of Hogwarts which is no longer in the possession of the invaders that had once stole it from the native community. The RRA also participated in the defense of Scandinavium and Union of Sovereign States among others.

How amusing to see CD hasn't changed a bit.

A good update and congratulations to the new delegate!

Congratulations fellow LR. Good luck and may your term be fruitful and prosperous for The Rejected Realms. :)

[Admin hat: Let's keep it nice and friendly shall we folks?]

Christian Democrats:
Nierr:
How amusing to see CD hasn't changed a bit.
What's that supposed to mean?
You haven't learned to properly address the issue of setting aside the people's democrat will on World Assembly votes. In all the years I've come across you, its cost you elections, in multiple regions.

It's admirable that you're willing to stick to your principles. It's amusing that you aren't a good enough politician to come to some kind of middle ground over the fates of fake foetuses in fake nations in an internet nation simulation game.

During campaigning, I said that I foresaw myself being more faithful to the region's will than previous delegates. Apparently, that position was controversial. I noted that Guy and Fratt had made it their official policies to ignore the forum votes on certain Security Council proposals and that Unibot regularly had departed from forum votes, including on abortion proposals. Tim and Guy, ignoring regional history, worked to turn my "molehill" into a "mountain," making it out to be some significant departure from what TRR delegates usually have done.

NfVRyIa.png

Earlier today Hileville, the elected delegate of The South Pacific, disregarding all protocol and legal precedent, dissolved the charter of The Coalition of The South Pacific. The Rejected Realms does not recognize the Transitional Government of The South Pacific as the legitimate government of The South Pacific and condemns its heinous seizure of The South Pacific nor do we condone its actions against the legitimate government.

In accordance with the TRR-TSP Treaty of Peace and Amity, we hereby pledge our support of The Coalition of The South Pacific and recognize it as the sole government of The South Pacific. We urge the rogue elements within The South Pacific to undo their oppressive acts against The Coalition of The South Pacific and restore order to the region. We further urge other regions to likewise decry these illegal acts against The South Pacific.

Libetarian Republics,
Delegate of The Rejected Realms

YJHTm0p.png

The Church of Satan,
Foreign Affairs Officer of The Rejected Realms

January 31, 2016

ySQubvs.png

Hello friends and allies! It's been a few months since our last update so without further delay, here's what's been happening in The Rejected Realms!​

Officer Elections - The Previous Term

During the previous term, 98X resigned from his position as Media Officer due to real life obligations. Tomb and Koth ran for the vacant spot however Tomb would be the one elected as Media Officer, putting out one issue of The Monthly Reject in that time. During that time, Spider Jerusalem also resigned from his position as Culture Officer due to real life obligations. Madaloria ran for the position and had a successful term following his successful planning for the Constitution Day festivities. No longer wishing to serve as Speaker, Tim resigned his position. Guy was elected Speaker in a confirmation vote.

Officer Elections - Now

The Church of Satan and Madaloria ran for and were re-elected to their prior positions. Joining them were newcomers Nobodies and Werpdrarg, all of which ran unopposed. The Church of Satan has resumed his prior job as Foreign Affairs Officer. Madaloria resumes his prior job as Culture Officer. Nobodies now serves as Media Officer in charge of The Monthly Reject. Werpdrarg serves as Outreach Officer. With so many fresh faces in the cabinet, it's hard to say how things will progress.

RMB Activity

The month of March saw no shortage of malicious spam resulting in more suppression of posts and moderator intervention in that month alone than seen over the last several months. It's hard to say why that is but it is hopefully an isolated incident.

March also however was the month in which we would celebrate Constitution Day. With good planning by Madaloria, the festivities were successful, seeing increased (positive) RMB activity from several friends and allies across NationStates. A belated "thank you" to those of you that attended. We were happy to see you there!

Tiebroken

After the end of the previous election, we at TRR found that our tie-breaking procedure sucks. Initially if there was a tie in the elections, the candidate who joined the regional forums earlier shall be favored. While everyone on NationStates has an account on our forums (I mean who doesn't right?), the candidate that registered first is automatically favored in procedure. Taking into account the permanency of the registration date and flexibility of applying for citizenship, the Assembly amended the Election Act by having the tiebreakers broken in reference to the vote of current officials. If the votes by the officials were not cast, the candidate with the longer continuous citizenship ultimately wins.

Poll-It-Bureau introduces Citizen of the Week
Polls are popular among Rejects; to incentivize registering for citizenship, the Poll-It-Bureau introduces Citizen of the Week. The Delegate, under some arbitrary criteria, selects a citizen to have polling powers for that week. Citizens can poll Rejects over a wide range of topics from politics to cuisine.

Our first Citizen of the Week is Jeffersonborg, popularly known as Codger elsewhere. He is credited for the suggesting this idea, and he is notoriously known by Rejects for his hate for freedom. His poll regarded a prison warden of The Rejected Realms; one day you find a Reject trading in contraband, containing matches and pamphlets calling for greater democracy in the region. What would you do afterwards? The results were quite interesting.

Our second Citizen of the Week is Bowiemoria. He is known for his enthusiasm about BBQ, and made a poll about the favorite type of BBQ items. He invited players around the world to vote as well.

YqyL2cL.jpg
TRR Issues Committee’s goal is to create quality, original issues and improve the experiences of Rejects and nations worldwide. TRR’s first issue was announced around January 2016 when sedge mentioned the recent addition of Issue #483. Submitted in May 2015, the processing took 3 delegate terms; the long, tedious wait was eventually realized. Congratulations to all that contributed to this achievement. Below in the spoiler is Issue #483 and the options the players can pick. If received in-game, you’ll notice on the bottom right “Issue by: The Rejected Realms Issue Committee.”

#483: Do You Want Fries With That? [The rejected realms issue committee; ed:Sanctaria]

The Issue
Mobs of disgruntled employees picket fast-food chains across @@NAME@@, tossing cheeseburgers at customers and burning their uniforms – all in the name of dignity and fairer wages.

The Debate
1. "MERRY MEALS, MERRY WORKERS!" chants a pubescent protester. "For far too long have our families starved because of pitiful wages. I mean, really, what are we supposed to do with one @@CURRENCY@@ a day? Eat it!? @@NAME@@ needs to set a new minimum floor for wages, and protect workers – the least that can go wrong is a little bump in the price of your Big Max - what's the big deal?"

2. "Oh the horror! THE HORROR!" gasps the McRonalds CEO as he watches a video of protesters deep-frying the company mascot. "Not Ronald! Anyone but Ronald! They've gone bananas! @@LEADER@@, their complaints are ridiculous, I assure you. They should be grateful for the wage they get for, what, flipping a few burgers? Give me a break. I implore you to send in the police and stop these mouth-breathers from scaring away our custom- eh, I mean, to protect our citizens, of course..."

3. "The problem isn't wages, darling," says a 'chatty cathy' working the counter at Papa Pallocci's Pizza Pagoda. "It's all the 'part time' hours - the 'seasonal' work, 'overtime', 'no overtime', 'zero-contracts' – before you know it, we'll all be working part-part-part-time! We should go back to a simple work-week for all us slaves to the retail industry. 8-5. Sure, it'll make places hard to staff, but who wants a burger at midnight anyways?"

4. "Eww, fast food," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, sipping a glass of almond milk to wash down a fresh kale salad. "We should just get rid of it altogether. Who could be bothered with those cheap, greasy trans-fats? Yuck! Gluttony gone amok as far as I'm concerned. We should aim for a higher standard of food: vegetarian, vegan, organic. C'est magnifique!"

News In Brief

*Islanders of the 10000 Islands visited the Rejected Realms in January, celebrating with tacos & BBQ.

* CG complains for more coffee, and Jeffersonborg complains for less freedom.

*Sirius3108, one of the largest class regions in NationStates, has established embassies with the Rejected Realms!

*Codger proposed forming a "Like Legion", a group dedicated to liking quality RMB posts.

*Initials for the Rejected Realms: TRR or tRR?

We've also had some issues with malicious crap-posting on the RMB lately, and needed some modly intervention. It's been very strange to experience since we've normally had a well mannered and polite RMB.

Back