Your Friendly Neighbourhood Despot
-
-
TNP Nation
Cassiars
As submitted by Grosseschnauzer:

TNP LAW 26
Election Dates and Procedures

This law provides for the election schedule and procedure for the offices and elections prescribed in Article I, Section Three of the Constitution of The North Pacific, or other elected offices created by law.

"Abstentions" are not votes for or against any candidate, and may not be used to determine the results of any election. They may be used to signify a voter's presence for quorum, activity, or other purposes.

"Candidates" are those individual members of the Assembly who either declare themselves, or who are nominated by at least two other Assembly members, as a candidate for an office or position to be chosen at that election. Candidates may only stand for one office or position during a given Election Cycle.

"Election Commissioner" is the individual designated by the Delegate under this Law to oversee and supervise a given general or judicial election. No one who may be a candidate in an election may serve as an Election Commissioner during that election. More than one Commissioner may be designated.

"Election Cycle" is defined as the period of time that begins on the first day on which nominations, or a declaration, of candidacy are made, includes all voting periods, and concludes with the final declaration of results for an election. The exact dates for the Election Cycle shall not include any legal holidays provided in Law 23, and those dates for a general or judicial election shall be designated at least 30 days in advance by The Delegate so as to encourage the greatest level of participation by eligible voters during the designated month.

"Vacancy" in an office or position occurs when the holder of an elected office or position resigns, is removed, abandons, or is recalled. Vacancies are filled through a special election unless an special election cannot be completed prior to the beginning of the general or judicial election cycle; or in all cases pending an election, however, a vacancy may be temporarily filled as provided by the Constitution, the Legal Code, or by rule adopted by the appropriate body.

SECTION ONE. General Elections.

1. The election cycle for the 4-month terms of The Delegate, The Vice Delegate, The Speaker of the Assembly, and CLO members, shall begin on the first day of the months of January, May, and September.
2. The Delegate must select one or more Election Commissioners to oversee the nomination and election processes, at least one week before the month in which the Election Cycle begins. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Chief Justice shall promptly make the appointment within 48 hours.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy shall last for seven days.
4. Voting shall begin three days after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for seven days.
5. Non-incumbent candidates for Delegate and Vice Delegate may not obtain an endorsement level during the election cycle greater than the level authorized for members of the Security Council under Law 30.

SECTION TWO. Judicial Elections.

1. The election cycle for the 6-month terms of The Judiciary, including the Chief Justice, and the Attorney General, shall begin on the first day of the months of April and October.
2. The Delegate must select one or more Election Commissioners to oversee the nomination and election processes, at least one week before the month in which the Election Cycle begins. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Speaker shall promptly make the appointment within 48 hours.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy shall last for seven days.
4. Voting shall begin three days after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for seven days.

SECTION THREE, Special Elections

1. A special election shall be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position in accordance with this Law. A special election cycle shall last for no more than fourteen days, which must be completed prior to the beginning of the next election cycle for the vacated office or position.
2. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election shall last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy occurs or is noticed.
4. Voting shall begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for five days.
5. In all instances, a plurality shall determine who is elected to fill a vacancy/ In the event of a tie, the Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, shall cast a tie-breaking vote.

This proposal completes the planned Election law to standardize how special elections are held.

And we deal with the problem of Delegates not appointing Election Commissioners on time.

I would just like to note for the consideration of all Members that I will be happy to move this to a vote after the quorum amendment vote is over. I would also like to remind members that they can still discuss this bill if they wish.

Slightly off topic, yet related....

1. The election cycle for the 6-month terms of The Judiciary, including the Chief Justice, and the Attorney General, shall begin on the first day of the months of April and October.
2. The Delegate must select one or more Election Commissioners to oversee the nomination and election processes, at least one week before the month in which the Election Cycle begins. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Speaker shall promptly make the appointment within 48 hours.

Are we not overdue for the Judicary election cycle ?

Other than that, I have nothing to raise regarding the proposal, and support moving to a vote once the current quorum amendment vote is concluded.

I raised the question in preliminary discussion, but no one chose to respond or comment.

I have the impression that the general mood is to stick with the current schedule and adjust the length of the current terms to get back on track.
In my view, aiming for a November judicial election would get things back on track for next April. The last judicial election was a couple of months late, as was the most recent Delegate election.

If there is an expressed interest to adjust terms the other way or changing the months of both the general election and judicial election cycles, I have no problem adding those changes in. But it makes no sense to include such changes if there is no interest in doing so.

If we can put this to a vote as soon as the current vote ends, then there should be enough time to adopt this and use it if need be to get an EC appointed.

I've asked Flem to make the appointment a couple of days ago, but his priority appears to be NS.net and IRC.

As soon as the Quorum amendment vote is finished, I will be happy to present this to a vote, as I recognize the time-sensitive nature of this vote.

Back