Flemingovia for delegate

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
This manifesto is an admission that the grand experiments of feeder politics have largely failed. The Judicial wing of TNP has never worked, the legislative wing is moribund. I propose a complete … overhaul? Abandonment? Of that aspect of the game.

It is a return, in a way, to the wild west days before we had a constitution. So no constitution, no bill or rights, no new charters or other schizzle.

First, I will not appoint any government at all. That’s right. It doesn’t work, so why pretend? All it does is lead to dissatisfaction.

This is an admission that the offsite political sim that is Nationstates has ended, as far as TNP is concerned. There are other regions still playing that game. We can go and legislate there if that rocks our boat.

Second, The RA, with the office of Speaker, will remain as present, but the sole purpose will be to vote in elections (for which see below)

Third, Trials are silly. We won’t have them. Administrators will police the forum, and the delegate will police the region. If the delegate coups, we fight them. If the admins get draconian we move forums – that is all the checks and balances we need, really.

Fourth, I will serve as delegate for the allotted term, plus any transition. I will not coup. I will not grief the region. I will not go on a banning spree. Anyone who knows me at all knows that these promises would be a cast iron fact. I would take opinions on the RA issues, and vote accordingly. I would ban only as a last resort, and grudgingly (during my last term I did not ban at all. I am quite proud of that). Once the forum votes in a new delegate, I will move aside.

Finally, The focus of TNP would change back to where it used to be most effective – fun and OOC games. We wil restructure the forum to make these things prominent. Most of you will not remember, but once we had the best and most active OOC area in Nationstates. We were famous for it. Largely we got distracted by governance and turmoil. It’s the end of the world as we knew it. Time to party, methinks.

Questions?

I think the government needs to be streamlined majorly, but to eliminate it 100% would be a mistake...

Perhaps it could be reduced to some basic regional council? Some of the earliest NS political systems were the best.

Nobody has defended the government more than me over the years. But I disagree with you. So long as the selection of delegates is sensible, then reasonable voices will be listened to, whether they are on a "council" or not.

BEsides which, councils and suchlike has been done. I fancy a period of anarchy.

This looks very good - no one is an a better position to modify the forum either (i.e remove the myriad of usless forums that nobody ever posts in and clutter the place up)

Love it - burn it all up :D

Let's be honest, when there isn't a huge pool of players, government controversy keeps regions active. That's one of the reasons the region and feeders as a whole may not be terribly active, because of stale political systems.

Still, let's see how this goes.

when there isn't a huge pool of players, government controversy keeps regions active

Day to day that has not been the experience of TNP. Coups have provided a short-term spike in activity, but have contributed to the general decline as many of the more active and positive players (not all) have got frustrated and left the region or the game.

General political controversy has largely left people disengaged.

Since I can technically vote in this election (!!), I've been reading over the various campaign threads. I have a question for yours: are you burning up the government with a plan to restore a new one, or are you just getting rid of it altogether? Do you have any new things you would create for the government?

For now, getting rid of it pretty much altogether. The RA (renamed the Electoral College) will remain as a vehicle for electing the delegate (I am not setting up an "official rogue" delegacy!!). Therefore the EC will need a speaker. That's about it for now.

It may be in the future the community fancy returning to a more developed form of government. Or it may be that investment/involvement by Max means that NS has an upturn. But at the moment i do not see the activity or the interest to warrant a government structure.

However, I do see a market for fun, a bit of roleplay and gaming. What I envisage is the mothballing of all government and foreign affairs thread, along with the judiciary etc.

What would remain would be:
TNP forum guidebook (a new area to help people navigate around)
General announcements
Welcome centre
News of the nations (a place where we can boast, or put up what has happened to our nations, or talk about ourselves)
Nationstates discussions (including newspapers)
In the Real World .... (replacing real life discussions)
Gaming Zone (guess who will post next etc)
Culture Zone (blogs, poetry, creative writing, haikus, etc)
Roleplay (westworld, Medaeval world, sciFi etc)
Election forum (which would only become visible at election time)
Electoral College Signup and Electoral Roll
Ask an Admin (for forum suggestions/complaints)

That's about it, except to say that the main areas will be Gaming zone and culture zone.

I also have ideas for prizes for spammers etc. But that needs more work before I make any rash announcements.

I'm not opposed. This means that somebody could run against you if it doesn't work out.

You have my vote (obviously)

I think anyone who knows anything about my history in this game knows that I will not go rogue. That much is guaranteed. There will be elections again on schedule (so long as someone reminds me when they are due).

Look, there is no guarantee that this will work - but it is worth a try. Nothing will be lost; archives can be rolled back out as needed.

Let's have at least three months without the angst of "the government is not working". Lets chill for a bit, and see how that works out.

flemingovia:
Let's have at least three months without the angst of "the government is not working". Lets chill for a bit, and see how that works out.
Isn't the 'chill' why the government is not working?

flemingovia:
But if we don't have a government, isn't the government, by definition, not working?
:lol:

Nope. This time it will not be working because it is not supposed to be working, not not working because it is supposed to be working but is not. Something that is not working when it is not working deliberately is, by definition, working perfectly, not not working.

I am glad to clear this up.

in all honesty, I will do the best I can. in the past few months work has been difficult, and my health has not been good. Hopefully both these factors are better now, but I will not make rash promises.

All I can say is that I have experience of being delegate, so I know what is involved. I think I can do it.

I appreciate that - I can relate to the work and health situation. This year has been a nightmare.

Good luck

Back