A more serious campaign

It is time to get real. Originally I was hoping to cause some lolz and bring attention to this disastrous inactivity that has engulfed our region. But we need a serious candidate for delegate who can take drastic measures to get us out of our funk.

I will coup. I will not be dictator for life, however; I aim to have a more open and invigorated democratic system within a month of my election. There will be a transitional phase with me as 'dictator' in order to ensure that the long-term government that arises will form in a timely manner and will be one of the region's liking. Existing laws and regulations need not bog us down while we move forward.

This government has many problems, but perhaps one of the more troubling issues is that this forum is an island unto itself. We live in a fantasyland, completely disjointed from the game itself. Our government has practically zero presence on the RMB, we almost never vote on WA resolutions, and the election process is completely disjointed from the people our delegate rules over. There is little reason for the nations of the region to join our forum or government. Government functions, as much as possible, should be onsite based rather than offsite/forum based. And, obviously, we have way too many useless government positions (CLO, judiciary) that tie up players that could otherwise be more active. A new governing document is needed to better deal with these realities.

The North Pacific is in desperate need of sharp and drastic changes. Our delegate hasn't read the forums in weeks, he hasn't done anything onsite in weeks, and elections are over a month late. Our regional activity pattern is like this:

Naptime --> Coup --> Naptime --> Coup --> Naptime --> etc

Frankly, that sucks. We've been trying to break out of this pattern for years, but without a total and complete overhaul of our government structure, we'll never get out of this rut. We need to go balls to the wall to change everything and attract new players.

I have been attempting to surpass Ermarian's endorsement count over the past few days. While I do this with reservation, I know that I am not the only person here who would welcome a change in delegacy.

I have a new forum ready to go and can share it with anyone who is interested. There is nothing inherently wrong with this forum, but a fresh regional face is a necessity to truly move forward.

I agree that we need a serious candidate. And as I said before, honesty is refreshing.

But a potential Delegate needs to earn the respect of the region, and to give the region respect in return.

Ermarian's position as Delegate is under attack because his inactivity has lost the confidence of a portion of the community. We don't even know the reason for this inactivity. However, we all know that a feeder needs an active and involved Delegate.

But individual Delegates are active in different ways, and focus on their regions in different manners. Some set the tone and policy of a feeder - policies within the region and toward the rest of NS. Some may be active in responding to the region's nations in-game, without being heavily involved in regional policy. Each Delegate has different strengths and interests, and different abilities and talents.

But the thing that all successful delegates have in common, is that they support their communities.

Regardless that our election process has been paralysed by the sitting Delegate's activity level here, those that would seek to take the TNP Delegacy should be respectful of the community. And part of that respect should include not trying the steal the Delegacy.

There may be a legislative solution to the current roadblock. If there are enough RA members interested in attempting to get through the roadblock. Those that wish to respect the entire community and bring everyone together to create a more active and vital future, should be interested in such an opportunity.

Or is it true that we no longer have creative thinkers in NationStates, that can find ways to make use of the tools available to their fullest extent before abandoning the past and casting a portion of the community aside.

I've been inactive and I don't fully know what the state of NS and TNP affairs have been until recently. I came back to TNP and found a region sadly inactive and venerable to a take over. I don't like what I see. I'm disapointed.

I have supported the replacement of inactive delegates, and I still beleive they should be replaced. But I do not beleive in subverting the community in the process.

If it makes people feel better I will leave the current 'government' intact until there is a clear will of the community one way or the other. I am not as concerned with overthrowing the government as I am with replacing the sleeping delegate.

John maybe taking the delegacy would be good to get this moving. Then you immidiately can sort us out an election, get some news up on the world factbook entry.

But I would advise against switching forums - you know what will happen - you'll be painted as an evil villain etc etc.

We can change it from within. :D

Moany Old Gits:
John maybe taking the delegacy would be good to get this moving. Then you immidiately can sort us out an election, get some news up on the world factbook entry.

But I would advise against switching forums - you know what will happen - you'll be painted as an evil villain etc etc.

We can change it from within. :D
I am willing to stay on these forums particularly if that is the wish of the community. :)

Kool beans :D

Who knows - maybe if a delegate runs with a campaign saying they will bring in a new forum then it should be so. Like you say if the peeps want it?

Might help us get rid of all these laws and rules and regulations and constitutions and red tape etc. There I've said it

I should probably rephrase that.

If I am legally elected delegate, I intend on instituting wholesale change of the government and its structure.

If I attain the delegacy through any other method then I won't 'coup' unless there is a widespread and obvious consensus for me to do so. Feeders should be governed by consensus of community and not by regulations and red tape.

It really all depends on what you want to do. If you want to change things despite people digging their heels in and not budging (or simply being complacent / apathetic), you will. Don't say you won't do something unless you're absolutely sure you won't, or you might lose your people. My advice would be to see what you've got to work with. Who is here and would be helpful, where could they be useful? New players might not have the fortune (misfortune?) of being around when there were coups and other NS events that some of the old guys experienced, but they are new blood and they can make a huge difference. That's what happened in TEP - we took advantage of the new guys, trusted them and made them important in the region, and now one of them was recently elected as delegate.

Delegates get very little done without the people. And since you're trying to get a community back in the region (I believe), you'll need the people. But in order to make said changes, I think this requires a strong delegate (or strong policy delegate) that isn't afraid of dipping his or her hands in certain areas to get them to jump-start and get going. It has a chance to be fun though!

Back