most racist advert evar

I remember the advert very well. It tended to play in cinemas rather than on TV. Kia Ora was a brand of orange juice that was often sold in cinemas.

It indeed seems a bit out of it's time nowadays. But all the "OMG RACIST" comments reminds me a bit of an annecdote from the author John O'Farrell.

in the early 80s he was writing for a left-wing magazine which was losing circulation because it was too dull. He came up with the idea of putting in a cartoon strip.

"Great idea" said the editors,

He came up with a rough idea: "only one problem" said the editors, "All the characters in your cartoon are white. Where are the ethnic minorities?"

"That's no problem" he said "I will make one of the cartoon characters Black."

The editors were horrified: "Make a characature of a BLACK MAN??!!????!!!?? THAT WOULD BE RACIST"

Needless to say, the cartoon never happened......

The irony is that if the cartoon characters weren't black someone would complain that there weren't any black cartoon characters in the ad. You can't win for losing!

Political correctness is not only evil it is the death of humor.

Americans are definitely over-sensitive about race issues compared to Europeans - which is understandable given our history I guess. Most (including me) consider stereotypes to be inherently racist, even if they're positive in nature - such as Asians being good at math, etc.

Catchy jingle though ^_^

Ummm, I don't get how this is racist? They're not even human...?

The irony is that if the cartoon characters weren't black someone would complain that there weren't any black cartoon characters in the ad. You can't win for losing!

You really believe that to be the case? :huh:

Back