Abolishing the CLO

Dyr Nasad

TNPer
I'll leave this open for final thoughts and open voting tonight.

Article I:
Section 3: Miscellany

1. The Legal Code shall consist of Laws passed by the Regional Assembly and carried over by agreement from previous governing documents.
2. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall share full, constitutional authority with all the rights and privileges that come with that authority. The Legal Code is second only to the previous in legal force. In case of conflict in wording, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights take precedence. Any and all other regulations and guidelines are lower in authority than the Legal Code unless otherwise specified.
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its own governance.
4. The Speaker of the Assembly, CLO members, and the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall each be elected to 4-month terms.
5. The members of the Judiciary (including the Chief Justice) shall each be elected to 6-month terms.
6. All elections shall be held on the region's official off-site forum.
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin..
8. Election of the Speaker of the Assembly, CLO, and Judiciary officials shall require a plurality vote of the Assembly,
9. Election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall require a majority of the votes cast by the Assembly.
10. If any elected official should fail to check into their account for two weeks without prior notice, the dual consent of either the Speaker, the Delegate, or the Chief Justice will commence the special election of a replacement. This replacement will fulfill the remainder of the term.

Article II:
Section 2: Speaker of the Assembly

1. The Assembly is led by the Speaker, whose task it is to lay out a uniform set of guidelines by which proposed legislation and other actions may be considered and voted upon.
2. The Speaker decides the order in which bills will be voted upon and is responsible for opening and closing each vote.
3. The Speaker is to be given access and speaking privileges within the private Cabinet areas but is not allowed to take part in votes of the Cabinet

Article IV: Council of Legal Oversight

Section 1: Membership and Powers

1. The Council of Legal Oversight (CLO) is to be comprised of the Speaker of the Assembly and three specially-elected members of the Assembly.
2. The CLO is to be given access and speaking privileges within the private Cabinet areas but are not allowed to take part in votes of the Cabinet.
3. The CLO may, with the approval of at least three of the four members, place an emergency temporary halt on any specific action undertaken by the Executive branch.
4. The CLO may vote to immediately bring any piece of legislation to an emergency vote before the Assembly.

And finally Articles V, VI, and VII in the Constitution will need to be renamed IV, V, and VI respectively.

This proposal has a fundamental fkaw; it fails to explain how the role occupied by the CLO as a check and balance in the current system if government will be filled, and by whom, if this proposal passes.

The judiciary is too slow for such a role, and the RA isn't much better. In the absence of the CLO, we would need to invent a CLO-type body.

A better solution might be to allow the Speaker to appoint a body with the CLO's powers, and give the RA a chance to approve the members.

If we don;t get a sufficient number of candidates for the judiciary, then we could also let the Delegate nominate those, and let the RA vote.

In other words, it would take much to come up with alternate solutions that are flecible, workable, and make sense.

The problem is, who would be chosen? Anyone who wanted the positions could have gotten them at the election.

That's not a reason, since there are other methods than elections that can be used to fill the spots. And there's been no real discussion of the consequences of this proposal.

Which brings it back to the point of my prior post. What are the consequences and what are the alternatives?

An alternative would have been to merge the roles of the judiciary and CLO but it seemed that people preferred to move in the direction of simply disbanding it from my informal poll results.

Can anybody cite the last time the CLO actually did something? As far as I know you'd have to go back to Westwind and he ended up couping.

I can understand the necessity for check and balance so I am going to propose another option.

Let's give some emergency power of the CLO to the speaker, the power to emergency temporary halt any specific action taken by the cabinet, but added the clause that the action by the cabinet should then be put to the assembly for a review so that the assembly can decided whether to overturn the Speaker or reject the action.

Back