Polanski

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
So, after evading sentencing since 1977 after pleading guilty to having sex with a 13 year old there is now outcry from politicians and "Holywood heavyweights" that Polanski has finally been arrested in Switzerland.

I find myself wondering...

1. Should the fact that he is an ocsar-winning film director make any difference? Would politicians be equally outraged at his arrest if he was a taxi driver from Chicago?

for example, the French Cultural Minister has said:

"it doesn't make any sense" for the director to be "trapped" and "thrown to the lions, because of ancient history".

2. Does the length of time since the offence make a difference? Can we say "you can drug, rape and bugger a 13 year old girl, but if you can evade capture for 30 years we will let you off"?

We were debating this around the breakfast table this morning and I was wondering what others thought.

As I understand it - he is getting what he deserves. Rape is rape no matter if the rapist is a celebrity or even a Frenchie ;)

Whether or not it is "ancient history" is, as far as I know, utterly beside the point in our system of justice.

The problem, as I with my little knowledge of law, understood it, is that the evidence that the US judiciary can produce would not be enough to arrest Polanski in most European countries, including Switzerland. Hence the Swiss police acted inaccurately (if not to say as a prolonged arm of the US).
By the way Polanski is of Polish origin. Oh and the victim has since forgiven him.

And Flem, one could also ask your question the other way round - if the US police would be after a rapist if he wasn't a famous director for 30 years, too.
Like this, they at least have a catch to present to the public.

EDIT: Dammit JAL, you made me say "rapist" even though he is not proven guilty as such.

The problem, as I with my little knowledge of law, understood it, is that the evidence that the US judiciary can produce would not be enough to arrest Polanski in most European countries, including Switzerland. Hence the Swiss police acted inaccurately (if not to say as a prolonged arm of the US).
By the way Polanski is of Polish origin. Oh and the victim has since forgiven him.

And Flem, one could also ask your question the other way round - if the US police would be after a rapist if he wasn't a famous director for 30 years, too.
Like this, they at least have a catch to present to the public.

EDIT: Dammit JAL, you made me say "rapist" even though he is not proven guilty as such.
Not necessarily forgave him, but they came to a out-of-court monetary settlement.

The fact that he fled the country after the arrest warrant is issued means he has something to hide. I don't care how talented he is, if he broke the law, he needs to do his time and have his day in court :ADN:

Back