Tell us about where you live

I live in Montana about 200 miles south of the Canadian border and about 45 miles north of Yellowstone. we have various militia/white supremacist groups here and we get more snow than Yorkshire. There's nothing to do here other than play NS and talk about snow. oh and we eat bull testicles and we celebrate this at an annual testicle festival where we consume lots of balls and drink copious amounts of alcohol.

billboard.jpg

I live in Tennessee about 944 miles south of Canada, we have more Rednecks than actual supremecists, and only get snow when it is there is nothing else that mother nature can do but give it to us.
There is little to do here but I find a way to keep myself amused.
while Testicles are a delecacy here very few actually eat them in fact the only distinguishing feature of the local cuisine is it is southern and things are served bland and room temprature, and we have more restaurants per capita than most other cities, we also have a lot of Asian resturants as there were many asians adoyted into the region during the 70's and many settle here because it is similar to the areas they are from.
the regional food festival is the near worship of a onion relative called the Ramp which is yummy but stinks.
And we have this
KnoxvilleSunsphere1982WorldsFair.jpg

I live in Geneva in Switzerland, about 2 kilometres from the French border. 40 percent of the population are foreigners, and another 20 percent have an "immigration background" (=foreign parents). It is the most international city. This is because the city is the second most important seat of the UN after New York, hence there are loads of diplomats and other government officials. Racist or supremacist groups are non-existent, or at least not visible in public. There is slight racism from time to time, but it's not violent and not open.
And it's full of rich people. Because of low taxes and a specialized banking sector, billionaires flock for houses in the area (which keeps the prices high everywhere else, which sucks for normal people like me). Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lamborghinis, Jaguars, Maseratis and even Bugattis (1 million euro per piece) are out on the streets in masses, Porsches are normal cars like any other.
The cuisines of virtually every country are represented (e.g. Tibetan, Ethiopian, Peruvian), but the local specialty includes melted cheese mixed with cherry liquor (or any liquor) which is served in large, heated pots, you eat it by sticking pieces of bread into the cheese. That's called fondue. There is also chocolate fondue (the same with biscuits and melted chocolate) and fondue bourguignonne (the same with pieces of beef and an oily sauce/soup).
The city is not especially exciting, nightlife is either full of drug-addicts, when you go for normal prices, or the entry is 100 franks (equals the dollar) upwards. The latest sick club has an entry of 1000 franks per night, and the drinks cost several hundreds of franks. Not exactly a student budget. Other than that, it is a quiet town, has great natural surroundings with a lake and the Alps nearby, a nice university, and great opportunities to make money and for internships.
:)

I live in New York NOT the city the state. I live Upstate. :P @ JAL because I know he'll make a smartass comment. :P It amuses me here because it's full of rednecks, but 40 miles away is a very liberal city which has a large gay/lesbian community and a fairly large minority community. It's often considered a smaller SF. A college town in the dead center of redneck heaven. :P We have some gorgeous scenery here too.

And I agree with JAL :tb2: :tb2: :tb2: :tb2: :tb2: Switzerland.

No, but I said fairly true not all true. :P Someone in NY is subsidized is true, but it isn't Upstate D:

I'm not Swiss, no need to flatter me aight?
Or do you really like it? And why? Some people say it is boring and expensive here!
It is a good place to raise a child, and good if you're old and rich and want your calm.

Btw, I really wish I had done an exchange year in a small town in the american Midwest. :yes:

Or do you really like it? And why? Some people say it is boring and expensive here!
It is a good place to raise a child, and good if you're old and rich and want your calm.

Btw, I really wish I had done an exchange year in a small town in the american Midwest. :yes:
I really like the scenery there... and I assume kor likes Swiss gun laws :P

Switzerland reminds me a lot of Montana, except with more people.

I currently live in Canberra, lovely capital of Australia and about a million miles from any other country. The city was created solely for government just under a hundred years ago. Because of this, about a third of the working population are employed by the government. Bit of a uni(versity) town so we get some good gigs every now and then, but night life is pretty poor in general. Some nice landmarks and a good place to grow up, but certainly not the kind of place i want to spend the next era of my life.

the most exciting thing thats happened recently were some crazy dust storms that blew through the last couple of days, with some nice thunder and cricket ball sized hail stones

but at least you're close to yellowstone.

incidentally, how hard would it be for a backpacker to get from seattle/portland to yellowstone? im pretty keen to try get there about this time next year

Btw, I really wish I had done an exchange year in a small town in the american Midwest.  :yes:

Swiss gun laws ftw! ^_^

but at least you're close to yellowstone.

incidentally, how hard would it be for a backpacker to get from seattle/portland to yellowstone? im pretty keen to try get there about this time next year
Well Seattle and Portland are a good 1000km from Yellowstone and a good portion of that trip would be through the Columbia Plateau which is flat, ugly, and boring. You should also count on a snowstorm or two with temps dropping to around -5C or so at night... so basically it'd be tough :P

As an alternative I'd suggest flying into Calgary (in Canada) and slowly meandering your way down here through Banff, Kootenay, and Glacier parks. That section of North America (Banff, Kootenay, Yoho, Jasper, Glacier) is the most beautiful part of the world IMO.

Btw, I really wish I had done an exchange year in a small town in the american Midwest.  :yes:

Swiss gun laws ftw! ^_^
:blink:

As in how? You like it that, at least in theory, every able male citizen of age has an automatic gun and ammunition at home? (Provided by the army, for shooting your way to the next military base in case of war) There are awful accidents because of that all the time. The guys use the guns to commit suicide or to run amok, or someone else from their family steals the gun and does the same. Not fun. :no:

Back