Election procedure amendment

I propose we edit this Section of Law 26 as follows:

old:

SECTION ONE. General Elections.

1. The election cycle for the 4-month terms of The Delegate, The Vice Delegate, The Speaker of the Assembly, and CLO members, shall begin on the first day of the months of January, May, and September.
2. The Delegate must select one or more Election Commissioners to oversee the nomination and election processes, at least one week before the month in which the Election Cycle begins.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy shall last for seven days.
4. Voting shall begin three days after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for seven days.
5. Non-incumbent candidates for Delegate and Vice Delegate may not obtain an endorsement level during the election cycle greater than the level authorized for members of the Security Council under Law 30.

replaced with the new:

SECTION ONE. General Elections.

1. The election cycle for the 4-month terms of The Delegate, The Vice Delegate, The Speaker of the Assembly, and CLO members, shall begin on the first day of the months of January, May, and September.
2. The Delegate must select one or more Election Commissioners to oversee the nomination and election processes, at least one week before the month in which the Election Cycle begins.
3. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy shall last for four days.
4. Voting shall begin immidiately after the period for nominations or declarations has closed. Voting shall last for four days.
5. Non-incumbent candidates for Delegate and Vice Delegate may not obtain an endorsement level during the election cycle greater than the level authorized for members of the Security Council under Law 30.

cool... I'll probably wait until after delegate elections to press this amendment through as we have enough on our plates with elections and such right now.

The reason for the three day break between nominations and elections is to make sure candidates are eligible.

(Active RA status as of opening of nominations, etc.)

There's also the question of whether four days is reasonable.

Hmm. How's about 5-2-5 (5 days for nominating, 2 days for confirmation, 5 days for voting)? 5 days for nominating/voting is pretty standard amongst NS democracies I think.

How about a shorter nomination period but a keep the week for voting. Given elections can't be held on the spur of the moment, if someone wants to run for office they would know when to make sure they get nominated.

But given it seems noone is emailing/PMing when there are elections, I'm not too fond of changing the voting time.

How about a shorter nomination period but a keep the week for voting. Given elections can't be held on the spur of the moment, if someone wants to run for office they would know when to make sure they get nominated.

But given it seems noone is emailing/PMing when there are elections, I'm not too fond of changing the voting time.
That would work. Also IMO it should be up to the election commissioner to decide if 3 days between nominations and voting is necessary.

Back