CLO reconfiguration

We do not have anybody running for CLO; I propose that we amend the following portions of our Constitution as follows, adding the bold and striking the red:

Section 3: Miscellany

1. The Legal Code shall consist of Laws passed by the Regional Assembly and carried over by agreement from previous governing documents.
2. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall share full, constitutional authority with all the rights and privileges that come with that authority. The Legal Code is second only to the previous in legal force. In case of conflict in wording, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights take precedence. Any and all other regulations and guidelines are lower in authority than the Legal Code unless otherwise specified.
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its own governance.
4. The Speaker of the Assembly, CLO members, the Delegate, and Vice Delegate shall each be elected to 4-month terms.
5. The members of the Judiciary (including the Chief Justice) shall each be elected to 6-month terms.
6. All elections shall be held on the region's official off-site forum.
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin..
8. Election of the Speaker of the Assembly, CLO, and Judiciary officials shall require a plurality vote of the Assembly,
9. Election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall require a majority of the votes cast by the Assembly.
10. If any elected official should fail to check into their account for two weeks without prior notice, the dual consent of either the Speaker, the Delegate, or the Chief Justice will commence the special election of a replacement. This replacement will fulfill the remainder of the term.

Article IV: Council of Legal Oversight

Section 1: Membership and Powers

1. The Council of Legal Oversight (CLO) is to be comprised of the Speaker of the Assembly and the members of the Judiciary.
2. The CLO is to be given access and speaking privileges within the private Cabinet areas but are not allowed to take part in votes of the Cabinet.
3. The CLO may, with the approval of at least a majority of its members, place an emergency temporary halt on any specific action undertaken by the Executive branch.
4. The CLO may vote to immediately bring any piece of legislation to an emergency vote before the Assembly.

well the Constitution states that exactly three judges make up the judiciary; if we can't come up with three such candidates then we would be screwed yes.

well..the const says we need 3 CLO members....not having the judges is a possibility - I dont want to make this change and then have to change it again in a few months

Before you give the CLO powers to the judiciary as such in any form, you'd better think carefully about the concentration of power that would give the Court.

The reason for the CLO by its adherents was to limit judicial power, not to expand it. (And to be clear, I am raising this for the sake of assuring a full and complete airing of the consequences of the modification proposed by JAL or the abolition proposed by Sydia.)

Definitely... I don't think combining the CLO with the Judiciary is the perfect solution - just that it's better than the alternative (ie, having no cadidates for the CLO and leaving the del totally unchecked).

Nobody's even in the damn thing, it serves no purpose if nobody serves in it. Get rid ASAP and focus on areas that need the active members.

As a former CLO member i think it should not be combined with the judiciary because i think it a another part of the checks and balances.

Back