The North Pacific Order of Merit

Sydia

TNPer
An idea for a new commendation system: a medal to be awarded to citizens of The North Pacific for outstanding services to the region. Can be proposed by anyone, but must pass though the RA to be bestowed. Then presented.
Thoughts, comments?

I think the Delegate has the power to set this up without any action by the RA.

And we can probably get away with an informal vote, so we don't have to deal with debates and quorums. Which means the threads can be in the Delegate's office.

This wouldn't be much different than the way we handle the annual TNP Awards ceremony.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I don't want the award to be some kind of 'suck up to the delegate award', so a nominations process seems apt.

Perhaps there should be an honour for foreign nationals? The Order of Commendation, or similar.

i can think of a number of people, over the years. But here are just a few.

Ananke.
Ananke was forum admin on s2 ("old blue") during the most turbulent period of TNP history. I think very few people realised how young she was at the time. For a long period she was the sole admin, and not only coped with the demands of a busy forum, but also coped during a divided period when every decision was scrutinised for bias, and she weathered many personal attacks.

in fact, I was first made admin in TNP not because of my coding skills, but so that I could take some of the pressure off Ananke.

From working with her I know how she agonised to make every decision a fair one - a fact often unrealised by those who could offer nothing more constructive than to stand at the sidelines and criticise.

She remains for me the ideal forum admin, and one who served TNP well in that capacity for years.

><><><><><><><><><><><

Poe.
If I had to think of a single person who, in 2005-6, created the character of TNP, it would probably be Poe. Rarely all that active in government, she racked up thousands of posts in OOC and roleplay, often hundreds of posts a night in a typically anarchic style.

I once tried to keep up with her in spamming, and nearly burned my fingers out. Back in those days TNP probably boasted the best OOC section in the whole of Nationstates, and Poe, together with others like DD, OpArsenal, Rocketman, VB, Blackshear etc were the reasons why.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Gosh, there are so many others. But for the sake of the newer members, I want to give reasons, not just names, so I will post again soon.

F.

Perhaps there should be 3 distinctions;
The North Pacific Order of Merit: To be awarded to members who have contributed outstanding service to the region.
The North Pacific Hall of Legends: To contain those players who are no longer active, but who have contributed a great deal and made the region what it is.
The North Pacific Order of Commendation: The highest honour a foreign national can be awarded; for friends and allies who have made the region a better place.

All require a nomination and second, and confirmation by the RA/delegate. Thoughts?

I like the idea.
As do I, but only on category is necessary I think.

I vote that the delegate be able to award the titles without the RA. Why add unnecessary red tape to something that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't actually affect the region?

Back