FD: Adding new Delegate candidate requirement

Constitutional amendment proposed by Falconias:

Constitution Article I:
Section 3: Miscellany

1. The Legal Code shall consist of Laws passed by the Regional Assembly and carried over by agreement from previous governing documents.
2. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall share full, constitutional authority with all the rights and privileges that come with that authority. The Legal Code is second only to the previous in legal force. In case of conflict in wording, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights take precedence. Any and all other regulations and guidelines are lower in authority than the Legal Code unless otherwise specified.
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its own governance.
4. The Speaker of the Assembly, CLO members, and the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall each be elected to 4-month terms.
5. The members of the Judiciary (including the Chief Justice) shall each be elected to 6-month terms.
6. All elections shall be held on the region's official off-site forum.
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin. (Extra period removed)
8. In addition to the preceding requirement, candidates for the Delegate position must have a World Assembly nation situated in The North Pacific, with an endorsement count at least 50% of the incumbent Delegate's endorsements at time of nomination, and at least 65% of the incumbent's endorsements by the beginning of the voting period.
9. Election of the Speaker of the Assembly, CLO, and Judiciary officials shall require a plurality vote of the Assembly,
10. Election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall require a majority of the votes cast by the Assembly.
11. If any elected official should fail to check into their account for two weeks without prior notice, the dual consent of either the Speaker, the Delegate, or the Chief Justice will commence the special election of a replacement. This replacement will fulfill the remainder of the term.

This proposal has now entered formal discussion. When there appears to be no further issues for discussion, it will come to a vote.

Suppose we have a Tao-like delegate who amasses hundreds of endorsements and no one qualifies? Then what do we do?

Also, I did not see an exception for the military added to this proposal. If serving TNP takes your WA nation elsewhere, it should not render you ineligible for office.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand the problem this piece of legislation intends to rectify. It seems like needless restrictions on what should be free and open elections.

I thought this was brilliant when I first read it, but GBM brings up a very critical point: We don't want to give the delegate even indirect influence on the nomination process.

Perhaps this problem could be fixed by making the endorsement one of rank? A candidate would have to move into the top 20 or 10 to be nominated, and into the top 10 or 5 to stand for election?

It is a bit unrealistic, given the current state of the game overall, to believe a Delegate will amass an insurmountable number of WA endorsements, in my opinion.

How would endocaps play into this? Seems like a security risk, personally, with all of these nations that could endowhore like no tomorrow and only have to present the excuse that they are running for delegate when questioned about it.

There is indeed an uncomfortably narrow margin between the cap (120) and the election minimum (108 right now).

It's possible to target a range of 12 endorsements by tarting in bursts and patiently waiting for the reaction - but it's not that easy. We don't want to coax people even into *nearly* breaking the law.

I'm opposed to any system that restricts/dissuades people from running for delegate. In a democracy the people get the leaders they deserve.

I agree with most everybody above. I think it hurts the nomination process more than it helps, and I certainly feel it presents an unnecessary security risk.

Back