WHO WANTS TO BE A JUDGE?

GM, you need to realize that I was drafted to run for Chief the last time around. I was finishing up my second term as Speaker and was planning to take a sabbatical; when I announced my plans to retire, folks implored with me to serve. Since there is considerable resentment to my doing the job as it is wirtten, I'm more than content to step aside and take a sabbatical from holding office now.

I think some of you have little idea of how difficult it is to run the Court, or the RA, or even the Executive, and I've had two terms doing each of them. I have held some elected office or position in this region almost continuously since April of 2005. I'd rather just be an elder statesman for a while.

GM, you need to realize that I was drafted to run for Chief the last time around. I was finishing up my second term as Speaker and was planning to take a sabbatical; when I announced my plans to retire, folks implored with me to serve. Since there is considerable resentment to my doing the job as it is wirtten, I'm more than content to step aside and take a sabbatical from holding office now.

I think some of you have little idea of how difficult it is to run the Court, or the RA, or even the Executive, and I've had two terms doing each of them. I have held some elected office or position in this region almost continuously since April of 2005. I'd rather just be an elder statesman for a while.
And I believe you need to realize that you are not the only one that can speak authoritatively on the Constitution (any Constitution) and that just because some disagree with you that there is no need for you to run off in a huff and quit while making vague threats against the stability of the region ("rue the day"? really?).

This place didn't burn down when I was running the show and it didn't burn down when Great Bight and UPS Rail had their turn, and it didn't falter when a popular Delegate went on trial for treason and it didn't burn when Twoslit superceded the elected regional authority so it sure as Hell won't burn now simply because Gross isn't here to hold our hands and tell us how to read the Constitution.

People disagree. People disagree with me all the time. If I am elected I expect that people will disagree with my decisions as well. You can't please all the people all the time so expecting disagreement just comes with the territory.

Now, I personally don't like you because I believe you purposely try to complicate things from a legal aspect so that the layperson can not understand and therefore "needs" you, but that is just me. That does not equate to not respecting the time and effort that you have put into the region over the years and the effort you put in as an administrator on the board. You are not the only one that knows the burdens associated with such issues. Perhaps you need the break. It is deserved.

This isn't really the group to complain to about the burdens of authority and expectations, plenty of us have dealt with that in some situation or another and do understand it better than you would like to give us credit for. Being so familiar with authority you should certainly understand that people will disagree with you and argue with you, it certainly isn't anything new to TNP. Honestly, taking this "fuck you guys" approach just makes you sound angry and marginalized.

So the candidates are:

Gracius Maximus
Heft
Ann
Haor Chall
Kor
Flemingovia (Nominated but not accepted)

Looks to be an interesting race. Feel free to continue talking about what how you will govern the court.

And Haor, I have the benefit of PMs with respect to Tresville, that you don't have access to. So your opinion of the facts is just that; and you are wrong in contending that I misstated the facts as I had them in front of me.

Uh, no. Sorry. I hate to harp on but any PM's you have don't change the facts on the ground that I presented. Tres posted the new oath in April. Regardless of anything else, Section 3 of Law 28 therefore does not apply. It is totally irrelevant. There is no opinion or interpretation available, it is quite a simple reading of the law. Your failure to follow the law objectively as Chief Justice says quite a lot about you.

As does you throwing a wobbly and resigning whenever people disagree with you (how dare they!). And yes, personally, I think it will be good for the region to not have you clogging up the legal system.

Anyway.

The job of the Court, IMO, is to objectively interpret the letter of the law as adopted by the Regional Assembly. The Court has to also uphold the central principles of TNP, of democratic, open and free governance and should make it's decisions with that in mind. We need a Court free from political interests and able to act objectively and independently to reach a verdict.

Secondly, I think we should be careful about legislating from the bench. The Constitutional situation has improved significantly from the previous Constitution but as the recent election fiasco revealed there are still issues. A lot of them could probably be resolved by an objective court, like the election issue could have been, but there are things that maybe need amendments. Nevertheless I believe the Court should minimise, or certainly be careful, in involving itself in altering the law in the Regional Assembly. Though the Court are all members of the RA, I think it is inappropriate for the Court to be too heavily involved in pushing legislative amendments.

Another reason I think that is I believe we have occassionally had problems with people taking "ownership" of the Constitution. If a Law that a Justice was heavily involved in passing is later brought into question, the objectivity of the Justice is perhaps questionable. Overall, the Court has to conduct itself so as not to bring its reputation for fairness and objectivity into question.

Haor Chall:
]The job of the Court, IMO, is to objectively interpret the letter of the law as adopted by the Regional Assembly. The Court has to also uphold the central principles of TNP, of democratic, open and free governance and should make it's decisions with that in mind. We need a Court free from political interests and able to act objectively and independently to reach a verdict.

I think this would make me the perfect person for the job. I have no sordid history here. No political adversaries/rivals and really stand nothing to gain by this position. It would allow me to act objectively. I think I'm fairly good at interpreting laws as well.

Secondly, I think we should be careful about legislating from the bench. The Constitutional situation has improved significantly from the previous Constitution but as the recent election fiasco revealed there are still issues. A lot of them could probably be resolved by an objective court, like the election issue could have been, but there are things that maybe need amendments. Nevertheless I believe the Court should minimise, or certainly be careful, in involving itself in altering the law in the Regional Assembly. Though the Court are all members of the RA, I think it is inappropriate for the Court to be too heavily involved in pushing legislative amendments.

I completely agree with this too. Courts are set up to be a check to uphold the laws of the Constitution. If it becomes entangled in the legislation side it could become biased and be more apt to abuse it's power and interpret the laws it sets how it sees fit to.

I agree with Kor on this one.

Most everyone else that's running (except Ann) have histories here, complete with all that negative stuff Kor mentioned.
I think that adds to an individuals character instead of detracting.

Experience should matter, even the bad experiences.

I have approached this issue from every conceivable angle. I have been the "bad guy" and I have been the hero. I have seen the best in people and I have given sanction to the worst. And through it all I have maintained consistent attitudes in regards to the law of the land.

A blank slate is good in some respects in that it offers the opportunity to speak from a completely objective point of view but history does matter and those that can reference consistently upright legal interpretation should not be hindered or biased against simply because they have politically been in opposition to you on occasion in the past.

I don't think my history here should be a problem. It shows that I've consistently worked within the laws and, ultimately, for a more open region. There's some negative bits in there too, I've had my disillusioned moments, and way back in the day I participated in some selective interpretation of law (though I certainly wasn't the driving force behind it).

I'd say those experiences make me more objective, not less. I've done the political thing, I don't feel any need to prove myself to the powers that be. I can recognize when an interpretation is based on actual fact or on political needs. I've largely maintained an independent view outside of any group, and I haven't hesitated to disagree even with those that I like and respect. Moreover, I can disagree with people using logic, common sense, and an honest, frank reading of law, as opposed to simply what I would like to be true.

Most everyone else that's running (except Ann) have histories here, complete with all that negative stuff Kor mentioned.
I know I won't win, judicial things aren't that fun to me anyway, legislative activities is my thing,

lets see how many voted I get if I do absolutely nothing. :shifty:

I know I won't win, judicial things aren't that fun to me anyway, legislative activities is my thing,

Why the Hell are you running if you don't want to do the job? In case you haven't noticed this region is very "legal" intensive. It probably has one of the most active court systems in the NS world.

If you don't want to do it and you don't think you will like it then why bother? Just curious, really.

(You know, I can't help but sound like a dick most of the time it seems. Sorry.)

I am fundamentally excited in a very real and potentially-inappropriate way about the possibilities the current election brings.

Why the Hell are you running if you don't want to do the job? In case you haven't noticed this region is very "legal" intensive. It probably has one of the most active court systems in the NS world.

If you don't want to do it and you don't think you will like it then why bother? Just curious, really.

(You know, I can't help but sound like a dick most of the time it seems. Sorry.)
I'm running cause I feel like it Ivan, do you have problem with it?

*Ann bitch-slaps Ivan

And it not that I don't like judicial works, but rather I feel that I will turn into a old stone if I become a bigtime judge, I prefer to not take the head role in the court, but rather a "associate" judge.

I've always had some sort of passion for legislative bodies and thats where I work best,

Now Ivan settle down and like have a good race.

*Ann puts on her running shoes.

I am fundamentally excited in a very real and potentially-inappropriate way about the possibilities the current election brings.
Hmm, that sounds dirty. But this does seem like one of the better elections we've had in awhile, for sure.

And honestly, if you think that you'll do best in legislative work, then this isn't what you should be running for.

I'm running cause I know I won't win, and if a magically win somehow then i'll keep the position.

Just to throw another spanner into the works I would like to nominate myself for the role of Justice in the North Pacific.

It would do me good to actually have some responsibility round here for a change!

Does that need to be seconded?

Just to throw another spanner into the works I would like to nominate myself for the role of Justice in the North Pacific.

It would do me good to actually have some responsibility round here for a change!

Does that need to be seconded?
No but I'll second it anyways.

Nominations have ended, vote soon!

I will nominate myself for Court Justice once again. ;D

Back