Gatesville

I feel a bit bad about calling Gates a slug. thererfore, to prevent any ill feeling, I want to publish this disclaimer:

Flemingovia wishes to make it clear that in calling Gates a "slug" in a pm, no offence was intended or directed at any gastropod mollusc of the order pulmonata. In hindsight I realise that my words were harsh, and could have caused offence and distress to any slug reading this forum through the seeming comparison with Gates, which was absolutely not the intent of my post.

I would like it made clear that i have the greatest respect for slugs and the contibution they make to society. I will be making a sizeable donation to a slug-related charity in recognition of any offence that may have been caused.

That seems in good order.

Perhaps we should try and contact a Spanish embassy too - to offer our most humble of apologies in GV's likening of their force to King Philip's great Spanish Armada of the 1500s - I feel most disturbed by this. We certainly wouldn't want to deliberately detract from the magnificent reputation of this fleet.

Even if it did actually crash and burn in its first confrontation.

the Irony of Gates' claiming to be assembling an armada was not lost on me, given the fate of the original armada.....

Where's the TNP copyright agency? Flem you need to attribute your incredibly witty and awesome sig (if I do say so myself) to its author: Rhindon Blade! :P

*Sues Flem for all he owns*

Strangely, (and this is completely true) it was a pirate by the name of Fleming who alerted Francis Drake that the Armada had been sighted while he was playing bowls on Plymouth Ho.

:jack:

When the Spanish Armada was spotted off the coast of Cornwall, the English fleet had to be mobilised quickly. Legend has it that Sir Francis Drake was playing bowls on an area of parkland called Plymouth Hoe, when a privateer captain called Fleming came to tell him that the Armada was approaching.

Drake was so confident that he insisted on finishing his game before engaging the spanish.

The rest is history.

Back