War Powers Act v2.0

This is a proposal for a law, not an amendment. Its a new and improved version of the law I submitted earlier. I hope it addresses some of the concerns dealing with the first version.

War Powers Act:
1. The Delegate is Commander in Chief of the North Pacific Army (NPA).
2. The Delegate has the power to order the NPA in whatever way he/she sees fit, so long as it does not violate any pre-existing agreements or acts of the Council of Lower Officials (CLO).
3. CLO has right to know about deployments as they are decided upon. Its powers regarding the Delegate apply to military operations.
4. The Regional Assembly may declare a ceasefire and compel the delegate to negotiate a treaty.
5. All treaties shall be negotiated by the delegate and Office of Foreign Affairs and ratified by the Assembly.

Whilst I think the executive should have the power to authorise limited military actions pursuant to the regional interest, I strongly believe that the power to declare war should rest solely with the legislative.

Nay

Same here have to agree have to vote no war making powers and the delgate need to give a report on reasons for the military to be deployed.

Revised proposal?

War Powers Act:
1. The Delegate is Commander in Chief of the North Pacific Army (NPA).
2. The Delegate has the power to order the NPA in whatever way he/she sees fit, so long as it does not violate any pre-existing agreements or acts of the Council of Lower Officials (CLO).
3. CLO has right to know about deployments as they are decided upon. Its powers regarding the Delegate apply to military operations.
4. The Regional Assembly may declare War.
5. The Regional Assembly may declare a ceasefire and compel the delegate to negotiate a treaty.
6. All treaties shall be negotiated by the delegate and Office of Foreign Affairs and ratified by the Assembly.

This proposal continues to misconstrue the role of the CLO. The CLO has two, and only two powers to temporarily freeze any action of the executive and to initiate emergency proceedings for a vote in the RA.

The provision dealing with the CLO needs to be rewritten.

This law would implement the power of the CLO to freeze executive actions by requiring it to be informed of them. I see no contradiction.

Exactly.

The CLO cannot use its powers to stop a secret invasion if it doesn't know its going to take place. Not until after the fact at least.

I thought it would be good to have some oversight.

Whilst I think the executive should have the power to authorise limited military actions pursuant to the regional interest, I strongly believe that the power to declare war should rest solely with the legislative.
Doesn't the RA already reserve that power? I don't think this really affects that. All it does is give the executive the power to conduct routine military operations.

@Gross:

2. The Delegate has the power to order the NPA in whatever way he/she sees fit, so long as it does not violate any pre-existing agreements or acts of the Regional Assembly.
3. The Council of Lower Officials has right to know about deployments as they are decided upon. Its powers regarding the Delegate apply to military operations.

Better?

My point is, that "the Delegate has the power to order the NPA in whatever way he/she sees fit" is a Gulf of Tonkin. It does undermine the RA's authority to declare war.

I think it has to be more precise in the limitations/restrictions or conditions under which the Executive can deploy the military without the RA voting.

And nice to see you again Heft. :)

As far as I can tell, the NPA will not be taking a side in the external raider vs. defender struggle. Instead, it will be mainly focused on rebuilding itself.

While only Heft and the delegate know for sure, I'd say the only thing the NPA will be defending is ourselves and any allies that we might have, and I don't think it will be prone to any sort of military adventurism- defender, raider, or otherwise.

If all the NPA does is stay in the region and look pretty then there is really no point in having an army at all. The Delegate is more than capable of telling people “endorse me!" we don't need an organization that basically amounts to an endoswapper's platinum club.

I said during my campaign that the role of the NPA would be as follows, in rough priority order:

1. Protect TNP.
2. Protect our allies.
3. Protect our friends.
4. Help our Allies.
5. Protect those who ask.

Comments, thoughts?

The NPA doesn't necessarily have the "structural integrity" to be a very busy body, and until I can actually get in and start figuring out just what resources are still available I can't really accomplish much. What exactly the NPA ends up doing depends on what it can do, which I still don't know. The NPA will do whatever serves the region and is feasible.

edit: omg I have accessz.

This is meant to be comprehensive so that we don't have to go through this process all over again if and when we make alliances, among other things.
The problem with alliances is that you have to be very careful of whom you make alliances with.

First, you have to make sure that you aren't entering into a network of alliances that will drag you into wars that you have no interests.

Second, you don't want to be put into the position of being forced into being a tool just because of alliance ties.

Third, you need to know every single tie that every other region has (known and unknown) so that you don't get used as a tool.

Fourth, remember WWI?

Alliances involve a certain amount of Realpolitik and the trick is to make sure that you aren't used as someone else's tool when it comes to war and diplomacy. You must always be sure that any arrangement is primarily to your advantage.

As you just described it TNP would never have any alliances ever unless we found some made for TV, rated G dream region which actually gave a damn about the feeders. Even then I highly doubt the alliance would do much of anything, seeing as TNP has nothing to offer and hates to get involved in any outside affairs and rarely does, even if they entailed a sister feeder region in need of dire help.

TNP has never really stood by its alliance ties anyway, like the RLA military alliance, for example, which died a much rejoiced death.

Whole concept of any sort of alliance is completely pointless if we are too weak and divided as a region to come to even our own aid in times of crisis, nevermind an ally.

Roman, this document does not set any mandates for making alliances. All it does is state that we will honor any agreements we make with other regions, as we are not lying scoundrels here in the North.

Now, whether or not someone chooses to make alliances or not is a completely different story. This document just sets up the framework for how the NPA and delegate would respond in a situation where an ally was under attack. Its better to have framework for all possible situations set up just in case, even if you never use them, than to be caught unprepared.

Back