From the outgoing Speaker

I have been advised that the election results have been announced, and once Mr. Sniffles posts his oath of office as your next Speaker, I shall step down from this office, and begin my latest term of office as Chief Justice of The Court of The North Pacific.

That will be a homecoming of sorts. The oldtimers here may recall that I had the honor of serving as TNP's first Chief Justice following the Constitutional Convention that brought about the last Constitution. And for Mr. Sniffles it is likewise a homecoming of sorts as he too, has previously held office as Speaker.

I have had the high honor as serving as Speaker, as Prime Minister under the last Constitution, and now to serve again as Chief Justice. My intention had been to step back from public office for a time, but others previled upon me to accept a return to the Court, and so, we shall see how that works out.

There is unfinished work. Some members have proposed bills whose development and refinement are incomplete and I felt it fairer to let those remain in preliminary discussion until those sponsors show enough interest to pick up the discussions. My role in this body will be to offer insights from my experience in The North Pacific, and to hope we can set up a sound foundation for the future and avoid a repetition of problems we have seen in the past.

There has been a burst of activity in Nationstates in the past two months; I happen to believe that the recent changes in Nationstates itself are more of an explanation for the reversal of fortune than anything else, but there is room to disagree on the point, and I suspect we will hear more about that in the days ahead. I am convinced however that the adherents of authoritarian and dictatoral government are wrong that having such forms of government enhance activity. I think it can be said that each time we in The North Pacific suffer through another rouge delegate it contributes to a decrease in activity not an increase, and it is time to look to constructive institutions to encourage activity and participation and not destruction and misrule,.

I lay down the gavel and vacate the chair for the next Speaker. Good day, y'all!

Back