May 2008 Election Results

yes, but thankfully we do not have mob rule here. The majority, even the delegate, is subject to the law. There is no legal reason for a runoff.

yes, but thankfully we do not have mob rule here. The majority, even the delegate, is subject to the law. There is no legal reason for a runoff.
Apart from the technicality that the time stated by the Commissioner was actually 24 hours earlier than he intended and so if we're sticking to legalities then 24 hours discretion is quite considerable. Whilst you may see it as mob rule, many others see it as public opinion and technically Govindia DID exceed the official election timings considerably. With the ballot that he did not discount on his own discretion being the deciding ballot it is hard to justify letting SouthWest Asia become CLO on such contentious grounds. As Great Bights Mum said, a run-off costs us nothing, and will give the result far more legal grounding than this.

Your argument of discretion is a slippery slope and there is no measure of how much disgression is acceptable. Is 24 hours difference really acceptable without sufficient notice beforehand? We can avoid a lengthy trial that will likely be unable to prove anything and only be able to speculate by simply having a run-off election between the two candidates.

I would like to point out that in the election I did give sufficient notice before I declared the voting period over. People had sufficient warning enough to voice their complaints then rather after the election.

Had any of you been in red back's situation and wanted to place a vote five minutes late, I'm sure you would not be protesting.

Oh, yes, there is a reason for a run-off.
:jack:

Apart from the technicality that the time stated by the Commissioner was actually 24 hours earlier than he intended and so if we're sticking to legalities then 24 hours discretion is quite considerable. Whilst you may see it as mob rule, many others see it as public opinion and technically Govindia DID exceed the official election timings considerably. With the ballot that he did not discount on his own discretion being the deciding ballot it is hard to justify letting SouthWest Asia become CLO on such contentious grounds. As Great Bights Mum said, a run-off costs us nothing, and will give the result far more legal grounding than this.

Your argument of discretion is a slippery slope and there is no measure of how much disgression is acceptable. Is 24 hours difference really acceptable without sufficient notice beforehand? We can avoid a lengthy trial that will likely be unable to prove anything and only be able to speculate by simply having a run-off election between the two candidates.
Considering the rate at which votes were cast, I would tend to agree with you.

Considering the small number of votes cast in relation to total RA members, I would think that the time issue and the closeness to the need of a run off election needs to be addressed in a manner of avoiding a TNP version of a 'Hanging Chad".

There are two ways this can go - Either the disputed votes by RA members are counted, resulting in a run-off, or;

The matter ends up in a court battle in which the court decides the election, or;

We hear cries of disenfranchisement, etc.,,,

As a court justice, I personally would rather not be put in the position of being party to deciding an election result but rather allow a run-off election without any contention about how and when who voted.

Beyond those obvious suggestions I can see no other choices to solve this issue.

There are two ways this can go - Either the disputed votes by RA members are counted, resulting in a run-off, or;

The matter ends up in a court battle in which the court decides the election, or;

As a court justice, I personally would rather not be put in the position of being party to deciding an election result but rather allow a run-off election without any contention about how and when who voted.

Beyond those obvious suggestions I can see no other choices to solve this issue.
Um, it's counting the disputed vote that leads to no runoff.

Not counting the vote leads to a runoff.

Except for the Delegate, remaskings have been completed. (Those who are Admins or Global Mods, should have complete access to their areas.)

Um, it's counting the disputed vote that leads to no runoff.

Not counting the vote leads to a runoff.
Hmmm. Looks like we're having a run off election as we speak.

Once again, now that the Court has ruled:

Here are the May 2008 Election Results:

Total Ballots: 30
Total Valid Ballots: 29
Total Invalid Ballots: 1

Delegate:
Eluvatar: 13 (44.83%)
Ermarian: 7 (24.14%)
Missing Dog Head: 3 (10.34%)
Romanoffia: 3 (10.34%)
Abstain: 3 (10.34%)

By the Constitution, as there was no majority between the candidates, a Runoff Election will be held soon between Eluvatar and Ermarian

Vice Delegate:
Great Bights Mum: 28 (96.55%)
Abstain: 1 (3.45%)

Congratulations to the new Vice Delegate, Great Bights Mum!

Speaker of the Regional Assembly:
mr_sniffles: 24 (82.76%)
Abstain: 5 (17.24%)

Congratulations to the new Speaker of The North Pacific Regional Assembly, mr_sniffles!

Council of Lower Officers:
FALCONKATS: 25
Kharkistania: 17
Southwest Asia: 15
Grimalkin aka Agamemnon Mustang: 14
Felasia: 7
Abstain: 4

Congratulations to the new Members of the Council of Lower Officials, FALCONKATS, Kharkistania, and Southwest Asia!

:ADN:

Back