FINAL PRELIMINARY DISCUSSION:

This thread will remain open until 7 November. On 8 November this will move into formal discussion, with voting beginning on 15 November for one week. Please use this thread to discuss or propose changes to the Haor Chall proposal:

The Haor Chall proposal:
Constitution of The North Pacific

Preamble

We, the people of The North Pacific united in our belief in democracy and freedom, and the right to justice and security, look to this Constitution to guide our region into long-lasting peace and prosperity. It is our hope that this Constitution will make The North Pacific a more vibrant and fun region and create a better game play environment for all.

Table of Contents

Article I: The Legislature
Article II: The Executive
Article III: Other Government Bodies
Article IV: Amendments

Article I: The Legislature

Section 1: Registration and Membership

The following requirements must be met before a nation may be allowed to vote:
1.Residency in The North Pacific
2. They must also publicly take the following oath:

"I, (Forum Name), as the leader of the (Official Full National Name), pledge to obey the Constitution and Laws of The North Pacific Region, and to act as a responsible member of its society.  I understand that if my Nation leaves The North Pacific region for unapproved reasons, I may be stripped of my right to vote and be required to reapply.  I pledge to only register one Nation to vote in The North Pacific.  I understand that my registration of, or attempt to register, multiple Nations to vote in The North Pacific shall warrant the summary withdrawal of my right to vote from all my Nations, past, present, and future, as well as possible expulsion from the Region. I understand that if any nation under my control directly wages war against The North Pacific, or allies themselves with a region waging war, declared or not, against the North Pacific, this shall warrant the summary withdrawal of my right to vote from all my Nations, past, present, and future, as well as possible expulsion from the Region. In this manner, I petition the Regional Government of The North Pacific region for membership in the Assembly."

3. Nations must give immediate notice to the proper officials if the nation resident in TNP changes.
4. Membership in the Regional Assembly will be confirmed by the Minister of Internal Affairs.

Section 2: Speaker of the Assembly

1. The Assembly is led by the Speaker, whose task it is to lay out a uniform set of guidelines by which proposed legislation may be considered and voted upon.
2. The Speaker decides the order in which bills will be voted upon. The Speaker also opens and closes each vote.
3. If the Speaker realizes that he/she will be absent when a vote is scheduled to open or close, he/she may authorize a "Speaker Pro Tempore" to open and/or close voting on the legislation.
4. The Speaker is elected via the election protocol laid out in Section 4 of this Article.

Section 3: Legislative Action

1. The Regional Assembly shall have the power to make and pass laws on any matter and make and pass amendments to the Constitution and Judicial Code.
2. The Regional Assembly shall elect the Head of State, Head of Government and other elected officials.
3. Only current Assembly-members are allowed to propose, discuss and vote on legislation.
4. A bill has reached quorum if at least 50% of current Assembly-members has participated in the bill's vote.
5. Assembly-members are not required to vote.
6. The voting period for legislation is a full seven days, unless specified otherwise within this Constitution.
7. A bill is automatically passed into law if it garners 50%+1 approval, with a quorum participating.
8. The Assembly is the jury for all impeachment cases. An official may be impeached by a 75% vote, with a quorum participating.
9. The Assembly may subpoena any member of the Government to give sworn testimony before the Assembly with at least a 50% + 1 approval and a quorum participating.

Section 4: Electoral Processes

1. Only current Assembly-members are allowed to run or nominate other Assembly-members for elected office in the Government. If an Assembly-member declares his/her own candidacy, they are automatically entered into the race. If an Assembly-member is nominated by another Assembly-member, he/she must accept the nomination before he/she is entered into the race.
2. Any Assembly-member may run for any elected office, so long as he/she fills the requirements for that office.
3. Each Assembly-member may only run for one office per election cycle.
4. Only current Assembly-members are allowed to vote in any and all elections.
5. Each Assembly-member may only vote for one Nation per position.
6. A term of office lasts for four months, beginning each year on the first Monday of February, June, and October. Elections will be held for one week, beginning on the Monday two weeks before a new term begins.
7. The Nation that receives the most legitimate votes for a position wins the contest for that position and takes office at the next term.
a. In the event of a tie, a run-off between the tied candidates lasting five full days shall be held immediately.
b. If, after two run-offs, the tie is unable to be broken, the incoming Delegate shall choose the one of the tied candidates to fill the position. If the twice-unbroken tie occurs in the election for the Delegacy, the incoming Speaker shall choose the candidate.
8. These processes are to be enforced in all elections for elected office, except as otherwise indicated within this Constitution.

Article II: The Executive

Section 1: The Delegate

1. The Delegate is the elected Head of State and shall be empowered to hold the Delegacy in The North Pacific for the duration of their term.
2. The Delegate shall be responsible for upholding this Constitution as the legal and legitimate government document of The North Pacific until the Regional Assembly decides otherwise.
3. The Delegate shall head the Directorate.
4. The Delegate shall provide leadership and direction to the policy of the Directorate.
5. The Delegate shall be responsible for ensuring that The North Pacific remains a fun and welcoming place.

Section 2: The Head of Government

1. The Head of Government is the leader of the Executive.
2. The Head of Government may take a title of their choosing (e.g. Prime Minister) for the duration of their term.
3. The Head of Government is responsible for;
i. Giving leadership and direction to the policy of the Government of The North Pacific.
ii. Leading foreign policy in cooperation with the Cabinet.
iii. Appointing the members of the Cabinet.
iv. Commanding the armed forces of The North Pacific.
3. Immediately upon taking office, the Head of Government is to recommend to the Assembly a candidate for all the Ministerial cabinet offices.
a. Each Minister-candidate must have served in their respective Ministry in the preceding term.
b. After the Head of Government submits the list of nominees, the Assembly must vote on the approval or rejection of each candidate. If a candidate garners 50% + 1 support with a quorum present, the candidate is recognized as a Cabinet Minister.
c. If the candidate fails to garner the above support, the Head of Government must present a new candidate to the Assembly for review and approval.
4. The Head of Government may at any time nominate a Minister for replacement. They must present the Assembly with reasons for replacing a current Minister and offer a candidate to replace the aforementioned Minister. If the proposal garners at least 50%+1 support in the Assembly with a quorum present, the outgoing Minister is removed from office and the replacement sworn in.
5. The Head of Government, and all elected or appointed government offices, must take an Oath of Office before taking up his position.
6. The Head of Government shall be jointly responsible with the Delegate for ensuring that The North Pacific remains a fun and welcoming place.

Section 3: Cabinet

1. Each Player and Nation may only hold one position in the Cabinet per term.
2. Each Minister only has as much executive authority as the Head of Government apportions to them.
3. Each Minister is responsible for the smooth functioning of their Ministry and answers directly to the Head of Government
i. The Ministry of Internal Affairs is responsible for domestic intelligence and counter-intelligence activities conducted by the Government for the purpose of maintaining and expanding regional security. It is also responsible for checking the qualifications of Assembly-members and applicants and maintaining an up-to-date roll of Assembly-members. It is authorized to undertake any intelligence activities pursuant to background checking and security clearance.
ii. The Ministry of Defence is responsible for the recruitment, maintenance, and actions of any and all military forces acting under the jurisdiction of the Government for the purpose of maintaining and expanding regional security and power.
iii. The Ministry of External Affairs is responsible for the recruitment, maintenance, and actions of diplomats acting under the jurisdiction of the Government for the purpose of maintaining and expanding regional security and power.
5. Ministers may appoint Deputies.
6. Deputies may have powers delegated to them by discretion of the Minister.
7. The Cabinet shall have a private discussion area open to them; they will also have access and speaking privileges within the private Directorate discussion area. All conversation in this area is to be considered privileged and are not to be distributed, except with prior approval of the Head of Government or required to by Assembly or judicial subpoena.

Article III: Other Government Bodies

Section 1: The Directorate

1. The Directorate is to be comprised of the Speaker of the Assembly, the Director of Communications, the Director of Regional Life, and the Director of Culture and Education.
2. The primary responsibility of the Directorate is to ensure that The North Pacific remains a fun and vibrant region, welcoming to new nations and true to the ideals and beliefs held by the region.
3. Each Director shall be responsible for the smooth running of their Directorate and answers directly to the Delegate.
i. The Director of Communications is responsible for publicising the actions of the North Pacific Government, the Regional Assembly and other regional bodies both domestically and internationally.
ii. The Director of Regional Life is responsible for maintaining the Out of Character forums, for welcoming new nations to The North Pacific.
iii. The Director of Culture and Education is responsible for the University and for promoting and encouraging activities, primarily related to the culture and heritage of The North Pacific, that are engaging and useful, for new nations in particular.
4. The Directorate is to be given a private discussion area; it will also have access and speaking privileges within the private Cabinet areas but are not allowed to take part in votes of the Cabinet.

Section 2: The Judiciary

1. The Judicial Code and the Decleration of Rights hold Constitutional authority.
2. The Judiciary, its procedures and organisation and the details of criminal and other proceedings are to be laid down in the Judicial Code.

Article VII: Amendments

Section 1: Amendment Procedure

1. The Constitution may only be changed via constitutional amendment.
2. The procedure for passing a constitutional amendment follows the structure laid out in Art. I, Sect.3.
3. An amendment to this Constitution requires 75% of the vote, with a quorum participating.
4. Amendments to the Judicial Code requires 75% of the vote, with a quorum participating.
5. Amendments may not be made to the Declaration of Rights.

I have modified my proposal slightly, as outlined below:

Preamble

We, the people of The North Pacific united in our belief in democracy and freedom, and the right to justice and security, look to this Constitution to guide our region into long-lasting peace and prosperity. It is our hope that this Constitution will make The North Pacific a more vibrant and fun region and create an open and enjoyable environment for all.

Table of Contents

Article I: The Monarch
Article II: The Legislature
Article III: The Executive
Article IV: Bill of Rights and Judicial Code
Article V: Amendments

Section 1: The Monarch

1. The Pirate Queen of Great Bights Mum is the reigning Monarch of The North Pacific.
2. The Monarch is the UN Delegate and Head of State of The North Pacific.
3. The Monarch shall be responsible for upholding this Constitution as the legal and legitimate government document of The North Pacific until the Regional Assembly decides otherwise.

Section 2: The role of the Monarch

1. The Monarch shall appoint as the Prime Minister the candidate who receives a majority of the vote in the Regional Assembly.
2. All legislation, amendments or binding documents passed by the Regional Assembly must be signed by the Monarch to be enacted into law.
3. The Monarch is Commander-In-Chief of the armed forces of The North Pacific.
4. The Monarch shall be responsible for appointed the Justices, subject to a confirmation vote in the Regional Assembly, as outlined in the Judicial Code.
5. The Monarch shall ensure that The North Pacific remains a vibrant, fun and welcoming region.

Section 1: Registration and Citizenship

1. Residency in The North Pacific
2. They must also publicly take an oath of allegiance to the Monarch and the region as written in law.
3. Nations must give immediate notice to the proper officials if the nation resident in TNP changes.
4. Membership in the Regional Assembly will be confirmed by the Minister of Internal Affairs.

1. The Assembly is led by the Speaker, whose task it is to lay out a uniform set of guidelines by which proposed legislation may be considered and voted upon.
2. The Speaker decides the order in which bills will be voted upon. The Speaker also opens and closes each vote.
3. The Speaker is elected via the election protocol laid out in Section 4 of this Article.

1. The Regional Assembly shall have the power to make and pass laws on any matter and make and pass amendments to the Constitution and Judicial Code.
2. The Regional Assembly shall elect the Head of State, Head of Government and other elected officials.
3. Only current Assembly-members are allowed to propose, discuss and vote on legislation.
4. A bill has reached quorum if at least 50% of current Assembly-members has participated in the bill's vote.
6. The voting period for legislation is a full seven days, unless specified otherwise within this Constitution.
7. A bill is automatically passed into law if it garners 50%+1 approval, with a quorum participating.
8. The Assembly is the jury for all impeachment cases. An official may be impeached by a supermajority vote in the Regional Assembly.
9. The Assembly may subpoena any member of the Government to give sworn testimony before the Assembly with at least a 50% + 1 approval and a quorum participating.

1. Only current Assembly-members are allowed to run for Prime Minister or Speaker of the Regional Assembly.
2. Any Assembly-member may run for any elected office, so long as he/she fills the requirements for that office.
6. A term of office lasts for four months, beginning each year on the first Monday of February, June, and October. Elections will be held for one week, beginning on the Monday two weeks before a new term begins.
7. The Nation that receives the most legitimate votes for a position wins the contest for that position and takes office at the next term.
a. In the event of a tie, a run-off between the tied candidates lasting five full days shall be held immediately.
b. If, after two run-offs, the tie is unable to be broken, the Monarch shall choose the one of the tied candidates to fill the position.
8. These processes are to be enforced in all elections for elected office, except as otherwise indicated within this Constitution.

Section 1: The Prime Minister

1. The Prime Minister is the Head of Government.
2. The Prime Minister is responsible to the Monarch for;
i. Appointing the members of the Cabinet.
iii. Implementing and leading internal policy.
3. Immediately upon taking office, the Head of Government is to recommend to the Assembly a candidate for all the Ministerial cabinet offices.
a. After the Head of Government submits the list of nominees, the Assembly must vote on the approval or rejection of each candidate. If a candidate garners 50% + 1 support with a quorum present, the candidate is recognized as a Cabinet Minister.
b. If the candidate fails to garner the above support, the Head of Government must present a new candidate to the Assembly for review and approval.
c. The Ministerial offices shall be laid down in law.
4. The Head of Government may at any time nominate a Minister for replacement. They must present the Assembly with reasons for replacing a current Minister and offer a candidate to replace the aforementioned Minister. If the proposal garners at least 50%+1 support in the Assembly with a quorum present, the outgoing Minister is removed from office and the replacement sworn in.
5. The Head of Government, and all elected or appointed government offices, must take an Oath of Office before taking up his position.
6. The Head of Government shall be jointly responsible with the Monarch for ensuring that The North Pacific remains a fun and welcoming region.

Article III: Bill of Rights and Judicial Code

Section 1: The Bill of Rights

1. The Bill of Rights holds Constitutional authority.
2. The Bill of Rights may not be Amended.

Section 2: The Judicial Code

1. The Judiciary, its procedures and organisation and the details of criminal and other proceedings are to be laid down in the Judicial Code.
2. The Judicial Code shall hold Constitutional authority.

2. The procedure for passing a constitutional amendment follows the structure laid out in Art. I, Sect.3.
3. An amendment to this Constitution requires a supermajority to pass.
4. Amendments to the Judicial Code requires a supermajority to pass.

I amended some things to just to think about.

Preamble

We, the people of The North Pacific united in our belief in democracy and freedom, and the right to justice and security, look to this Constitution to guide our region into long-lasting peace and prosperity. It is our hope that this Constitution will make The North Pacific a more vibrant and fun region and create an open and enjoyable environment for all.

Table of Contents

1. The Pirate Queen of Great Bights Mum is the reigning Monarch of The North Pacific.
3. The Monarch shall be responsible for upholding this Constitution as the legal and legitimate government document of The North Pacific until the Regional Assembly decides otherwise.
4.The Monarch may take any official titles he/she wishes to (ie Empress, Queen etc)

1. The Monarch shall appoint as the Prime Minister the candidate who receives a majority of the vote in the Regional Assembly.
2. All legislation, amendments or binding documents passed by the Regional Assembly must be signed by the Monarch to be enacted into law.
4. The Monarch shall be responsible for appointed the Justices, subject to a confirmation vote in the Regional Assembly, as outlined in the Judicial Code.
5. The Monarch shall ensure that The North Pacific remains a vibrant, fun and welcoming region.

2. They must also publicly take an oath of allegiance to the Monarch and the region as written in law.

3. The Speaker is elected via the election protocol laid out in Section 4 of this Article.

8. The Assembly is the jury for all impeachment cases. An official may be impeached by a supermajority vote in the Regional Assembly.
10.The Assembly may petition the monarch to abdicate at anytime. Only if the petition gains a unanimous vote from the Assembly will the petition be set before the Monarch.
11.If the Monarch ever abdicates, resigns or nation dies the Assembly will nominate and appoint a new one

1. Only current Assembly-members are allowed to run for Prime Minister or Speaker of the Regional Assembly.
b. If, after two run-offs, the tie is unable to be broken, the Monarch shall choose the one of the tied candidates to fill the position.

a. After the Head of Government submits the list of nominees, the Assembly must vote on the approval or rejection of each candidate. If a candidate garners 50% + 1 support with a quorum present, the candidate is recognized as a Cabinet Minister.
b. If the candidate fails to garner the above support, the Head of Government must present a new candidate to the Assembly for review and approval.
d. The Head of Government must nominate canidates for Minister of Internal Affairs , Minister of Defense and External Affairs. The Prime Minister may nominate to create other ministries aswell as appoint a Deputy Prime Minister if he deems prudent
6. The Head of Government shall be jointly responsible with the Monarch for ensuring that The North Pacific remains a fun and welcoming region.

1. The Judiciary, its procedures and organisation and the details of criminal and other proceedings are to be laid down in the Judicial Code.

additions are bolded. Thoughts?

HC:
If it is your intent to carry over the current Declaration of Rights as the Bill of Rights, I think you need to say that explicitly in the proposal.

Same thing for certain of the current laws (Oath of Office, Flag, University. holidays, etc.

Would it give the Monarch too much power if a body like the House of Lords or a Privvy Council was created? Just a thought...

I amended some things to just to think about.

Preamble

Table of Contents

4.The Monarch may take any official titles he/she wishes to (ie Empress, Queen etc)

10.The Assembly may petition the monarch to abdicate at anytime. Only if the petition gains a unanimous vote from the Assembly will the petition be set before the Monarch.
11.If the Monarch ever abdicates, resigns or nation dies the Assembly will nominate and appoint a new one

d. The Head of Government must nominate canidates for Minister of Internal Affairs , Minister of Defense and External Affairs. The Prime Minister may nominate to create other ministries aswell as appoint a Deputy Prime Minister if he deems prudent

additions are bolded. Thoughts?
Not bad, and not far off from what I put forward a while back, only calling things by different names.

One issue you need to address is a more defined judical branch with the ability of judicial review of legislation and executive actions/authority.

Also, you might want to have a clearly defined emergency succession clause whereby someone (or more than one someone) can move in and temporarily take the delegacy if the delegage becomes inactive or otherwise cannot act in an emergency.

But essentially, I believe, as a matter of practicality, the Delegate should also be Head of Government, but only for the alloted elected term of office.

IOW, we need a delegate that is free to act within the confines of the constitution in a manner that allows the Delegate to protect their position and prmacy of the government without having to go through a bunch of bureaucratic crap or lack of action on the part of a inactive government.

We need a delegate that is authorized to act instantly without consultation under certain contraints and limitations, and a means of close succession (a couple of people with enough endos that they can move in one update to take over if the Delegate is out when a real crisis arises - and then they turn the delegate seat back when the delegate returns.

If it takes a Constitutional Monarchy to accomplish that, then I'm all for it or whatever we decide to call it.

R

Preamble

Table of Contents

6.The Monarch may at times when an nation gets 10 endorsements near her/his endorsement level illegally (henceforth defined as not appointed or elected into a position to gather endorsements) may eject this nation.

I only made one change in red per Roman's thoughts. Any thoughts? :eyeroll:

Its better. not drastic, but better. With the right delegate/h.o.s the region could do soemthing interesting. Its a nice framework if people are willing to be different

No Declaration of Rights?

And 50% of all the RA for quorum is a tad extreme, given our historically low turn out rates (60 members in an election I think) and lax updating of RA lists, nothing would get done. Unless that's what you were going for...

The problem with RA membership is that some nations join the RA with their very first post on the forum, and hardly ever post again. It is difficult to remove a person from the RA list unless their nation goes inactive.

This has been a problem since the beginning. If we do not add an activity clause to the RA we will always struggle to reach a quorum.

Preamble

Table of Contents

6.The Monarch may at times when an nation gets 10 endorsements near her/his endorsement level illegally (henceforth defined as not appointed or elected into a position to gather endorsements) may eject this nation.

5. Members of the regional assembly must be active every seven (7) days. If they are inactive for over seven days and/or have not been voting on the past 4 bills without a statement of absence then it is the duty of the clerk to vote for a removal of such member. The Clerk's duty will be making sure all Assembly members fulfill this requirement or are voted out by a majority vote.

4.The Speaker once elected may appoint an Assembly Clerk who's duties are outlines in section 1 of this article

Made one in blue just for you Flem! The placing seem awkward but I think it will work.

HC:
If it is your intent to carry over the current Declaration of Rights as the Bill of Rights, I think you need to say that explicitly in the proposal.

Same thing for certain of the current laws (Oath of Office, Flag, University. holidays, etc.

Can it be put as part of the proposal but not in the Constitution? That would seem tidier to me. I would be quite happy with the current Decleration of Rights, though I think it maybe could do with some tidying up and trimming but I'll start a seperate topic for that.

As for other laws, I dunno. I'd personally be in favour of scrapping the lot and starting afresh, even if some puts forward one of the current laws (like the oaths or the flag or whatever) and we end up voting it back in, I think that would be preferable then having the whole gigantic morass swooping in just 'as is'. Not only that but it would give the RA something to do afterwards. ;)

Not bad, and not far off from what I put forward a while back, only calling things by different names.

One issue you need to address is a more defined judical branch with the ability of judicial review of legislation and executive actions/authority.

Judiciary, if you care to notice, will be defined properly in the Judicial Code - a document that would have constitutional authority but would reduce unneccessary clutter in the constitution itself by seperating it. Also, I thought I'd leave the legalese to those more fluent in it's application. ;)

Also, you might want to have a clearly defined emergency succession clause whereby someone (or more than one someone) can move in and temporarily take the delegacy if the delegage becomes inactive or otherwise cannot act in an emergency.

I agree. Rather than a Vice Del like we have now, how 'bout the Delegate can appoint (subject to confirmation or not) a Prince/Princess Regent who can take the Delegacy in the case as you say.

But essentially, I believe, as a matter of practicality, the Delegate should also be Head of Government, but only for the alloted elected term of office.

Umm... term of office? Am I misunderstanding you or do you need to recheck what a monarchy is Roman? :P

My I ask why GBM is a Pirate Queen?

Why not? :P

If she would rather take a different title I am sure we could amend it.

@Mr_Sniffles: Declaration of Rights is already covered.

@Sniffles & Flem: I think you be right about. I'm not sure whether it might be best to have activity requirements, mimimum prequisites for joining the RA or what. And whether that might be best left to law rather than the constitution?

@HEM: Thanks for your thoughts, regarding your original bolded ideas, the first I like. The second I would not put in. I deliberately left the issue of succession/change of Delegate out of the Constitution. I'd rather that be something we look at when it becomes an issue, simply because we don't know what TNP we like and what we will think at that unspecified point in the future and I'd rather not set something down now which might not be applicable later.

Right, here's my thoughts on addressing the above points.

1. The Decleration of Rights from the Constitution shall be seperated and enshrined as the Bill of Rights.
2. The following document will replace the current Constitution as the Constitution of The North Pacific.

Preamble

Table of Contents

4. The Monarch may take any official titles that they wish.

1. The Monarch shall ensure that The North Pacific remains a vibrant, fun and welcoming region.
2. The Monarch shall appoint as the Prime Minister the candidate who receives a majority of the vote in the Regional Assembly.
3. All legislation, amendments or binding documents passed by the Regional Assembly must be signed by the Monarch to be enacted into law.
4. The Monarch is Commander-In-Chief of the armed forces of The North Pacific.
5. The Monarch shall be responsible for appointed the Justices, subject to a confirmation vote in the Regional Assembly, as outlined in the Judicial Code.
6. The Monarch may appoint members of the Regional Assembly as Princes or Princess' Regent who will have the power to take the Delegacy in an emergency as authorised by the Monarch or by the Regional Assembly.
7. The Monarch may ensure the security of the Delegacy by ejecting any nation within 25 endorsements of the Monarch or any nation deemed to be a security threat to the region by the Regional Assembly.

5. Members of the Regional Assembly who have not participated within the Regional Assembly for a period of greater than 14 days, without prior notice of absence, may be removed from the rolls by the Minister of Internal Affairs.

3. Immediately upon taking office, the Head of Government is to recommend to the Assembly a candidate for Ministerial cabinet offices.
i. After the Head of Government submits the list of nominees, the Assembly must vote on the approval or rejection of each candidate. If a candidate garners 33% + 1 support with a quorum present, the candidate is recognized as a Cabinet Minister.
ii. If the candidate fails to garner the above support, the Head of Government must present a new candidate to the Assembly for review and approval.
iii. The Ministerial offices shall be laid down in law.

Preliminary discussion ends on Wednesday; formal discussion begins next Thursday. Any changes should be completed before formal discussion opens.

Back