The Regional Assembly current agenda

I will be asking all of those who have proposals to update those proposals as soon as possible with any changes they've decided on to date. Over the next three weeks, I will ask all RA members to comment on these various proposals. As to the multiple proposals for constitutional amendment/revision, I plan to put all viable proposals (that is ones that the member who originally proposed still wishes to have considered) on the same track. There may be one or more informal polls posted by me to see if any of these proposals have some level of support. It is possible that more than one proposed revision may come to a vote, and if that happens, the voting period for the proposals will be contemporaneous.)

I will put other issues on the floor as soon as I have things organized. These include: confirmation of new chief justice, election of the board of regents for the University, election to fill vacancies on the Security Council, Haor CHall's bill to amend the inactivity provisions in the legal code. We also need to make a definitive determination as to whether the current term ends in early November as currently provided in the Constitution, or whether the elections are now a month later due to the delay in August.

I have brought this over from a thread in the Preliminary Discussions area, because not everyone in the RA tends to read those threads.

The Regents election process will start in a few days, along with the vacancy that needs to be filled on the Security Council.

In addition, I am requesting the sponsors of the three different draft constitution proposals to edit or update their draft proposals. In the next few days, I will put each proposal in a more formal preliminary discussion thread with the intention to have each proposal finalized with all further changes and amendments within three weeks. At that time, I will move all three current proposals, along with any other preliminary discussion proposals started by then, to a week of formal discussion. TThereafter all pending proposals to revise or amend the Constitution will be put to a final vote in the Regional Assembly.

Once the "formalized" preliminary discussion threads are open, do not expect any further time delays in the formal discussion or voting.

There is an unresolved question that needs to be addressed, and comments are requested on this. Under the Constitution as it currently stands, we should be beginning the election process on the 15th of October. However, the last elections were completed nearly a month late, and it was never decided at the time whether the current officeholders would serve only two months, and maintain the current calendar, or for three months, and push things back a month. The issue needs to be settled, and I am unsure that the Court can settle it. I would also note that the Security Council's declaration of a state of emergency has never been terminiated, and the authority of Clause 11 remains in place.

Thoughts, anyone?

The court would be hard pressed to settle the question certainly.

I think we, the RA, have no other recourse but to reset the calendar, IMO. Otherwise, we'll force the court to settle an issue which they will be legally incapable of unsettling. It's a legal minefield.

I suggest reseting so that the current regime serves a full term and settle the issue for future elections.

I think we should stick to the current calendar. I bet this isn't the last time that we will experience an incident which causes elections to be delayed. I can't see having a "sliding schedule."

Also, on a personal note, Thanksgiving (End of Nov.) thru New Years Day is the most hectic time of year for me. I would rather be running for re-election sooner rather than later.

I agree with GBM. I'd prefer to have the elections held at the normal time. Delaying the elections sets a bad precedent.

It would make most sense to at least hold off elections until voting over a new Constitution is over- to see whether we keep the current system or we decide to try something different.

I've been trying to be as flexible as I can to move the various competiting constitution proposals to vote at the same time.

I haven't been insisting on quorum because of all of the upheaval, but that will not be the case when the various constitution proposals come to a vote in the RA. The quorum requirement will be in force for those votes. I sent a PM to Flemingovia requesting the current list of RA members, but he has not responded. If anyone sees him online, please ask him to check his inbox and respond to my urgent request. If I can get the current list, then I will send out a mass PM to all RA members on the matter.

I beleive that the existing elections schedule should be maintained as best as is possible. A delay or postponement in one cycle should not impact subsequent elections cycles if at all possible.

Back