Poltsamaa for PM!!

Poltsamaa

TNPer
Greetings North Pacificans!!

I stand before you today to formally open my campaign for Prime Minister of The North Pacific!!

My platform for running is a simple one!! I will say to you that this region is at the crossroads!! This region is in decline, it is stagnant and it is time that this region moved forward!! Too long has it clung to the past, too long has it been so afraid of something going wrong that it refused to come out of its coccoon!! We are paying the price now!!

We have seen too many elections uncontested or poorly contested!! We have seen Ministries fall derelict as the Minister we elect are choked by red tape and bureacracy!! We have seen the farcical legal system drag cases out for months with no result!! We have seen thinkers and those with genuine ideas on how to improve the region and help it evolve harrassed by those that see themselves as custodians of the region!!

Yet, with all the caution and the red tape, the region is again in chaos!! Our elected Delegate has had enough of being an ornament in the corner and tired of being spoken down to by those self-appointed custodians I mentioned!! So, I ask!! What has the past year or so shown us?! Has the region prospered under the weight of the Constitution we have or has the Constitution stunted the development of the region?! In my opinion, it is the latter!!

The time has come for change as another candidate has stated, although he concentrated on the "right way" to change the region!! I'll concentrate on what does need to change to make this region thrive again!! The North Pacific needs to allow its elected officials to govern, to make decisions and to act in their role as a government Minister without asking permission from the Security Council!! If we elect nations to govern, let them govern within the laws of the region!! This is one reason why apathy is so rife in our government!! After getting hit on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper a few times, nations ask why they bother running for Cabinet at all!!

We need to bring our Delegate in from the cold and incorporate them into government!! An idle Delegate is no advantage to the region as history has shown us!! No amount of legislation or good intentions will prevent a Delegate going "rogue"!! There are no guarantees, but I believe that a Delegate who is included rather than excluded will be less likely to go outside the laws of the region as those in the past have!!

Now, I'm sure some citizens will tell you about my past in the North Pacific Directorate and omit my past as a former Prime Minister!! They will try and tell you that I will turn the region into a dictatorship, tear up the Constitution and ride roughshod over citizens rights!! However, history tells the complete opposite!! The North Pacific did not become a dictatorship during my term as Prime Minister, the Constitution was not torn up and no one's rights were infringed!! Quite the opposite, nations that were illegally denied voter status were welcomed to the fold and are here today!! My last term as Prime Minister saw a united Cabinet and a renewed faith in the ability of a government to apply the law of the region evenly and without bias!! Of course the members of the Cabinet that served with me were equally responsible for the progess made during that term and further underlines the need for Cabinet members to work together and be on the same page!!
My greatest legacy from my time in the North Pacific Directorate was the creation and of the Regional Assembly which the current Regional Assembly is based upon!!

This time the government needs to go further!! The Constitution does not need to be torn up, it needs to be revised!! It needs to allow the elected government to govern and it needs to be a document that nations new and old can read and understand!! The Constitution needs to evolve with the region and the region is ready to cast off the bindings of the current Constitution and move forward!! For too long has our region been ties to the past!!

A vote for me for Prime Minister is a vote for progress and a new dawn for The North Pacific!! A time when ideas about change are entertained and not shunned!! A time when those that are elected to Cabinet will work as a team to improve the region and help it to come out of its shell!!

Thank you for your time and I will be happy to answer any questions based on my past, present and of course, my campaign for Prime Minister!!

What do you think of the idea of giving the Delegate some real contistutional duties to keep the Delegate busy instead of having the Delegate just being a 'place-holder' to secure regional control?

I've always been an advocate of having the Delegate be our head of state and also have a role in Cabinet!! It is a fallacy that allowing the Delegate some say in regional government increases the liklihood of them going "rogue"!!
As for how much power they should have, I'm a firm believer in the Delegate holding a vote in Cabinet and also appointing their Cabinet Ministry!! I would like the Cabinet, as an executive body to have a say in legislative change by way of a confirmation vote!! The level required for approval by the Executive would be greater than 60% for it to pass!!
Any legislation rejected by the Executive would be returned to the Regional Assembly for reworking and a new vote!! At the moment the region's head is operating independently of its body and and this is not conducive to good government!!
People may say that a hand picked Cabinet will always agree with the Delegate but I cannot think of anyone who agrees 100% with someone 100% of the time!! The advantages of an appointed Cabinet, approved by the Regional Assembly, are that the Delegate has confidence in the abilities and the activity of the Cabinet members in their portfolio!! This allows the Cabinet to work as a team rather than the heads of smaller individual groups in the region!! This is one of the changes I'd like to see worked on during my term should I be elected!!
In my previous term as Prime Minister, we did not hold formal Cabinet meetings as they are a logistical nightmare!! Instead, we had regular communication in Cabinet chambers to discuss and work out solutions to problems as they arose!! I found this worked well and that the Cabinet during that term communicated and worked together well!! Something we need to reproduce again to get this region moving!!

Back in February you publicly quit the region and the game, over the "futility" of life in this region. You then disappeared for nearly six months.

I have no doubt that you will protest that you are here to stay, but how can voters be sure that you will not grow bored or frustrated, and simply quit during your term of office?

If I was going to quit I would not run!! Unlike some people, I do not commit to things I will not follow through on!!

I am not aware of any time where I have quit office here or in any other region!!

As you well know, my reason for quitting the region was to go overseas, the farce that was Fulhead's trial merely made me leave earlier than I intended!!

Could you go into detail as to your ideas about The North Pacific's foreign policy to feeders and userite regions if you were elected Prime Minister?

If an RA member were to propose legislation mandating that the Administrators implement a word filter changing all exclamation points to double exclamation points, and all question marks to exclamation-question combos, would you support such an endeavor?

Could you go into detail as to your ideas about The North Pacific's foreign policy to feeders and userite regions if you were elected Prime Minister?
I've always believed in treating other regions with the same respect we expect to receive from other regions!!

My attitude on the matter is that simple!! We have no business telling other regions how to run their governments and, likewise, I'd expect other regions to stay out of our business!!

Thats the general policy!! I never had much time for useless pissing contests that seemed to have plagued NationStates politics!!

As for how I would handle diplomatic incidents, it would depend on the incident but I'd be sure to contact the government of the region or regions involved and talk to them calmly about a solution!!

Too often in NationStates governments act before thinking and its been to the general detriment of all regions involved!!

If an RA member were to propose legislation mandating that the Administrators implement a word filter changing all exclamation points to double exclamation points, and all question marks to exclamation-question combos, would you support such an endeavor?
I would support their right to propose the legislation as being a member of the Regional Assembly, it is their right to do so!!

I would have no problem with this change as it'd save me many keystrokes in my posts and also show that the superior culture of the Poltsamaarians is taking root in the region!!

What, in your opinion, is the best thing about TNP and why?
The best thing about it is that it has the potential to be better than it is!! If only nations would think outside the square a little more rather than sit around while a few nations play house!!

How would you rate your last term and will you be approaching the job differently this time around?
I think my last term cleared out the crap that had built up under previous governments!! I believe the Cabinet was allowed the freedom to do their job and communicated well together to resolve some pressing issues such as unconstitutional bans on nations voting based on the previous governments dislike of said nations!!

This term, I believe we can move forward from that and look at making badly needed changes to the Constitution to breathe new life into the region!! Certainly, a government with me as Prime Minister will allow the freedom to discuss these issues without fear of persecution and that can only be to the greater benefit of the region as a whole!!

Under the guise of freedom, speech and discussion has been stifled in this region and I think that is something that needs to change and change now!!

What is your opinion on Dalimbar's forum move?

Since it looks like a distinct possibility that this z13 government could very well become a Government in Exile, would you be willing to be the head of such an underground movement?

What is your opinion on Dalimbar's forum move?

Since it looks like a distinct possibility that this z13 government could very well become a Government in Exile, would you be willing to be the head of such an underground movement?
I don't see any need for a new forum and haven't registered on a new forum!!

As for a government in exile, I don't think it will come to that!! I know Dalimbar is open to discussion provided people are respectful and I believe that agreement can be reached between Dalimbar and the government with the right people in charge!!

To my knowledge, Dalimba wants Constitutional changes to allow more say in government for the Delegate and also the Cabinet and thats certainly something I am willing to work on should I be elected!!

Personally, I don't know Dalimbar. Does he want respect or does he want deference? Do you think that he's earned it?

You mentioned Constitutional changes, but what do you envision the final result will be? Will Dalimbar retain office as Delegate, despite possible election results, or will he step aside and allow a peaceful transfer of power? In other words, what do you think his intentions are?

Personally, I don't know Dalimbar. Does he want respect or does he want deference? Do you think that he's earned it?
I don't know what Dalimbar wants other than a fleeting mention that the Constitution needs to include the Delegate more in government!! Hence me neither supporting nor condemning him until I know exactly what it is he wants!! Respect...our Delegate deserves respect, yes!! Regardless of who it is!!

You mentioned Constitutional changes, but what do you envision the final result will be? Will Dalimbar retain office as Delegate, despite possible election results, or will he step aside and allow a peaceful transfer of power? In other words, what do you think his intentions are?

You are meshing 3 separate issues into one question!! I envision the final result of Constitutional change will be what the region and, more precisely, its citizens wish it to be!! My platform is to encourage discussion and debate on Constitutional reform, not direct it!!
I have not supported anything other than the official elections on this forum, hence me running on this forum!! Dalimbar is not running for Delegate hence, it is unlikely he will be elected!! Whether he remains as Delegate in the actual region in NationStates remains to be seen!! To be honest, its up to him!!

I have no idea what his intentions are, I think he is unsure of that himself!! My intentions are to run as PM, hopefully get elected and then work with the citizens of the region to reform the Constitution if they wish it!! How Dalimbar fits into this is up to him!! He can embrace the processes I seek to encourage or he can continue to live outside that realm!! I cannot make him quit as in-game Delegate nor make him stay!! So, I concern myself with what I can do to hopefully alleviate the situation and reduce the possibilities of it occurring again!!

How does your former role in the NPD and your cooperation with Ivan/Pixiedance qualify you to be PM over a government that overthrew the NPD and a couple of rogues that ran it?

How do we know that you won't simply go merrily along with the current rogue delegate despit what you now say? :hug:

Well, sorry about that.

Do you realize that Ivan was a tyrant and Pixiedance was a tyrant? How do you expect to get elected if this has been part of your political views?

Especially pixie.

How does your former role in the NPD and your cooperation with Ivan/Pixiedance qualify you to be PM over a government that overthrew the NPD and a couple of rogues that ran it?
Working with the NPD doesn't qualify me to be Prime Minister!! Rather an odd question to be honest!! What does qulify me to be Prime Minister was my previous term as Prime Minister in which everyone was treated evenly under the Constitution!! Yes, the Constitution you were nvolved in creating and from which my input was excluded!!
What was my role exactly in the NPD Roman?!

How do we know that you won't simply go merrily along with the current rogue delegate despit what you now say?  :hug:

I don't believe what Dalimbar has done is right, that is why!! The circumstances surrounding this situation and the NPD are entirely different!! If I was to be supporting Dalimbar as you have implied in a number of threads then I would not be hiding it!! Last time I was PM you were running the dictatorship story too, it didn't happen!! What I want is a region where the laws enable the government to do their job and also allows everyone willing to contribute to contribute!! If that is against your beliefs then please vote for someone else more in line with your thinking!!

Well, sorry about that.

Do you realize that Ivan was a tyrant and Pixiedance was a tyrant? How do you expect to get elected if this has been part of your political views?

Especially pixie.
Pixiedance was Ivan, perhaps you need to learn about what happened back then before passign judgement!! Also, are you aware of the role I played in the NPD?!

Are you aware of my previous term as PM of TNP?!

As I said, find out information before passign judgements!! You'll find your friend Roman has been far more dictatorial in this region than myself!!

I was around when you were Prime Minister. However, I founded at the end of your term.

I classified the two NATIONS separately because the two nations are separate. I agree the Constitution should be upheld, and you are most qualified for the job, but, to rephrase my question, why deal with PD?

Much like now, although probably a more heated situation, the Government of TNP collapsed along factional lines that lead to the creation of the NPD!!
On one side was Cathyy (aka Pixiedance, the sitting Delegate at the time), Insane Power and a few other..on the other Hersfold, Tresville, Flemingovia etc etc!!
The old Constitution had been thrown out be the government preceding the NPD!! I was asked to help install the new government in TNP after serving a brief period as Deputy Minister of Justice in the old government!!
My role was to set up the Regional Assembly the predecessor to the one we have now!!
TNP was rudderless at the time and needed direction, I offered my assistance to give the region some direction!!
After the NPD stood down I remained in the region!! I was not tried or even charged with any crimes!! I was excluded from the Constitutional Convention as I disagreed with large chunks of the Constitution proposed!!
Regardless, I voted for the implementation of the Constitution as it was pointless to oppose it!! I voted for it because I saw it could be changed should the peopel wish it!!
I remained in the region until February this year and left for two reasons!! One, I was going overseas and two, the Fulhead Land trial had just turned to farce (well more farcical anyway!!) via a ruling by the judge that any mention of nation name, no matter where (even in the street!!) is in-character!! But thats another story!!
I returned a month or so ago and found the region back where it always ends up!!
So, after some nations requested I run, I decided to run for PM!! I was thinking about running but wasn't sure if it was the right time!! Others felt it was and therefore, here I am!!

So there you go!! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them!!

OOC: I was looking at a new character for NS and needed something to standout!! It actually started out as 3 or 4 exclamation marks but then refined to the two we have today!! It caught on from then and weel, its not Polts if it doesn't have the exclamation marks!!

IC: I like to over-punctuate!!

Back