Abolish Run-Offs

In recent elections we frequently have either had one candidate running for each position, one candidate who will obviously win or sometimes no candidate at all. There are a number of reasons but one of them is that I think many don't want to get involved in run-off elections and just want to win outright. Therefore I propose that we use plurality voting in future elections. However I realise that run-off voting can be an advantage in some cases, so I would keep it for the election of the Delegate and Prime Minister only.

I would draw up the neccessary legislation but I would like to hear thoughts from the Assembly first.

Well, if you want to have only a single vote but still have the winner have to obtain a majority and prevent the other problems that plurality voting entails you could simply try an Instant Run Off Vote. That is to say, voters rank their candidates in order of preference. You check to see if anyone has a majority. If no one has a majority eliminate the person with the smallest number of votes and transfer their votes. Check for a majority again. Repeat this until someone has a majority.

Well, if you want to have only a single vote but still have the winner have to obtain a majority and prevent the other problems that plurality voting entails you could simply try an Instant Run Off Vote. That is to say, voters rank their candidates in order of preference. You check to see if anyone has a majority. If no one has a majority eliminate the person with the smallest number of votes and transfer their votes. Check for a majority again. Repeat this until someone has a majority.
I've been pushing this for years but the general consensus the last time I brought it up was that it was impractical. How throwing away someone's vote is impractical however is beyond me.

I'd love to see it happen though!

Impractical? Things seem to work perfectly fine in Taijitu with preferential voting systems. Though, we use Condorcet instead of IRV, which in my opinion is better still because it by definition in tune with democratic principle elects the candidate who is preferred over all other candidates by a majority. IRV can elect a candidate who is actually unpreferred by a majority to 1 or more other candidates.

Back