Farewell Address to TNP

My fellow citizens of The North Pacific:

I speak to you for the last time as your Prime Minister. The election results will be announced shortly, and at that time I will be able to pass on the responsibilities of this office to my successor whom you have elected.

I leave office satisfied that I have accomplished as much as it would be possible to accomplish in these two consecutive terms of office. I wanted to leave you with some thoughts and some cautions as The North Pacific moves ahead into our collective future.

First and foremost, I urge those who take office now, and in the future, to remember that we are The North Pacific. What is best for The North Pacific and what works for The North Pacific, is not necessarily what was the best for any other region, or that has worked in any other region. As a region that is founded on a constitutional democrarcy with the paramount goal of protecting the liberties and the participatory governance of its citizens, we should be cautious with any change that could impair those protections and our participatory government for the sake of any temporary perception that reflects the desires of the few.

The region must find a meaningful way to protect The North Pacific from the abuses of duality that has harmed this region in the past. But we must do so in a way that protect our liberties as well. There must be a way to hold those to account who abuse duality to the detriment of The North Pacific.

During this most recent term, we initiated an process of exploration and experimentation in the Regional Task Force. There is no way to know yet whether we willl find new and useful results that ought to become a permanent part of how our Region does things. But the value of the Task Force, and its work groups, is in the trying. We can and will learn from its failures, as well as its successes. I urge all of my fellow citizens to volunteer and participate in the Task Force process. I will follow, with interest, what results are obtained and will contribute to the vitality of this region we call our home.

I am leaving the study commission on the economy in place. I urge the next Prime Minister to encourage that commission to proceed with its work of designing a functioning economic system for The North Pacific.

I entered office in the aftermath of the Limitless Events affair and I leave offce in the midst of the disclosures concerning what, apparently was a mission by an intelligence agent into the Supreme Union, which occurred at about the same time. We still do not know what the North Pacific Intelligence Agency director intended in that mission, and it is quite likely that we may never know with any certainty.

The major problem we need to address is the problem of communication between the North Pacific Intelligence Agency through its Director with the Prime Minister. While the NPIA adopted a new structure and a new procedure early in my second term, the value of these changes were compromised by the sudden disappearance of its Director, and the lack of a clear line of succession in the event of the absence of its selected Director.

I urge the members of the NPIA, whoever they may be, to confer and select an acting Director, so that the ability of the Prime Minister to exercise oversight and accountability will not be further compromised. None of the proposals that were made in the Regional Assembly in recent months would have or could have prevented this problem. It needs to be addreessed.

I also urge the Regional Assembly to formalize a procedure nder which citizens of The North Pacific will not be extradicted to any other region for any type of criminal proceeding without the protections we recognize in our Declaration of Rights. We have every right to insist on protecting our citizens in such circumstances, and our Constitution demands nothing less.

As I leave office, we are nearly ready to present a treaty with The West Pacific, I ask the new Minister of External Affairs, and the new Prime Minister, to complete those negotiations as quicky as possible so that te treaty may be presented to the Regional Assembly for ratification.

Recenty, I was elected to fill a vacancy in the Board of Regents of The North Pacific University. It is not clear to me why the University has not commenced operations, but I have already begun to ask the questions, and I will do whatever I need to do as one of the elected Regents to assure that the University opens as soon as possible.

Finally, I leave office just as committed to the vitality and future of this, our home region as I was on the day I announced my candidacy for Prime Minister more than six months ago. This is the most beloved and valued region throughout the Nationstates world, and I will be in its service until the last day I am privileged to be here.

I thank you all for the honor of having served as your Prime Minister for these past six months. May we all work together to continue to protect and cherish The North Pacific! Auf wiedersehn!

:clap:

You have done a great job, Grosseschnauzer, as Prime Minister. On behalf of the entire nation of Ator People I would like to offer our sincere gratitude for your service to this region.

Thank you for your wonderful service and dedication to this region.

Yes, you surley have led this region well, and its productivity and standing is a testament to your guidence.

Keep it Real

Mesian

:clap: Thanks for the devotion you put into TNP and through keeping us here today to talk about you. You've done such an incredible job and I just hope you have fun. Good Luck... :clap:

Some of you seem to be under the impression I am totally disappearing. I'm not leaving the region, but I have no plans other than the Security Council, the University, and being one of the forum administrators. And I will still be active in the Regional Assembly.

However, I've felt in the past that at least some of the forum administrators and global moderators should not be holding elected Cabinet positions, in order to maintain the integrity of moderation activities on these forums, and had I known Hersfold was going to leave the game, and promote me to forum administrator, I'm not sure I would have run for re-election.

I'm gratful for the expressions of appreciation, though.

@ Dalimbar: The title "Farewell Address" was used by at least two U.S. Presidents who left office after rwo terms, and both were historically notable. George Washington (in 1797) and Dwight Eisenhower (in 1961). This is a "farewell" as far as leaving the office of Prime Minister and as the head of the government.

Mon Dieu, with a title like that I almost thought you were leaving! *sigh of relief* Sir, it has been a pleasure to work with you these past three months.

Back