Teaching Positions?

Joshua

TNPer
I am an experienced player and was wondering what was going on with TNP's university system? And I wanted to inquire as well if there were any open teaching spots? Thank you!

That's a good question, there are no teaching positions as of yet I believe but I have not been fully up-dated on the situation seeing as I have not been elected yet. :P

When I take office I'm sure I'll have a lot of red-type to burn and a lot of unnecessary bullshit laws to clear out before we can make real progress. Looks like I need to break out the sledgehammer because I have some walls to tear down.

BW, the main problems seems to be that the Chancellor is missing.

There are a couple of reasons why there may have been problems -- one i that Byard wasn't into kicking rears as strongly as he should have, and second I would have expected our Chancellor to have offered some direction in getting things up to speed.

I'd really like to get Ator People involved with the U, since he had a very clear plan for courses and organization which, had it been used as the template, would have moved things along a lot more quickly.

BW, the main problems seems to be that the Chancellor is missing.

There are a couple of reasons why there may have been problems -- one i that Byard wasn't into kicking rears as strongly as he should have, and second I would have expected our Chancellor to have offered some direction in getting things up to speed.

I'd really like to get Ator People involved with the U, since he had a very clear plan for courses and organization which, had it been used as the template, would have moved things along a lot more quickly.
I would very much like to be involved. I have some more time now to help and I had drawn up some plans that might still be useful. Just let me know how I can help :yes:

Ator People,

Would you be able to post said plans so people could see them and comment if possible? Thank you!

Would you mind posting a copy here or the link? I am not RA yet, hopefully will be accepted after the election.

Ator, you might want to re-post the material. That forum was never visible to all forum users, not even the RA.

I'd do it, but it will be several days before I'll have the time, between elections, the follow-up with changing Cabinet masks and permissions and changing some subforum archiving and descriptions.

Ator People:
Admissions

The North Pacific University is a research and learning facility founded in 2007 to offer nations the opportunity to learn about various aspects of Nationstates. The admissions process is detailed below.

Semesters in the university are a month long each. Admissions for the next semester will begin no earlier than two weeks prior to the opening of classes and shall end exactly forty-eight hours prior the opening of classes.

To apply for an Academic Program (one resulting ultimately in a certification), one should visit the appropriate thread and fill out an application. Applications will ask for the following information: nation name, UN nation name (if one is available), population, region of residence, time playing Nationstates, and the type of Academic Program requested. If accepted into an Academic Program, no application is required for each successive semester in the program (however, you may have to apply for courses). Admission to Academic Programs shall be on a first come, first serve basis. Nations shall not be denied admission to an Academic Program because of regional affiliation, region of residence, or population, unless said admission would be a great threat to regional security (to be determined by a joint decision of the Security Council and the Board of Regents). Any denied applications can be appealed to the Board of Regents within five days of the semester start.

To apply for an individual course, one should visit the appropriate thread and fill out a short application. This application will ask for the following information: nation name and region of residence. Applications should be filed in accord with the usual semester application schedule. Nations shall not be denied admission to an Academic Program because of regional affiliation, region of residence, or population, unless said admission would be a great threat to regional security (to be determined by a joint decision of the Security Council and the Board of Regents). Any denied applications can be appealed to the Board of Regents within five days of the semester start.

Definitions:

Academic Program – An Academic Program is a series of core courses and electives over (generally) more than one semester, ultimately resulting in an official certification from the University. There are three types of Academic Programs offered, listed in order from least advanced to most advanced: Alpha of Nationstates (AoNS), Beta of Nationstates (BoNS), and Delta of Nationstates (DoNS). In the beta and delta programs, a student must also choose a major, which is a concentration on a particular area of study.

Accelerated BoNS Certification - In ordinary circumstances, one must have an AoNS degree to pursue a BoNS degree, and one must have a BoNS degree to pursue a DoNS degree. However, this university will offer an accelerated program for experienced nations to gain their AoNS and BoNS degree in one program. To be admitted to this program, one must demonstrate in their application that they, from experience, possess a great amount of Nationstates knowledge.

Course – A course is a class in a particular topic, generally lasting one semester. At the completion of the course, the professor will give each student a grade (on a 1-10 scale), and a six or higher is required to pass said course. Passing a course earns the students credits for that course. The grades will also average into the student’s overall University Grade Point Average (GPA), which only affects those in an Academic Program.

Academics

Academics are the most important part of The North Pacific University. Learning and research, being the goal of this institution, are achieved through the sharing of knowledge. The following structure shall constitute the university learning environment.

Each nation shall be required to declare by end of their third week in the first semester of classes. Failure to do so may result in expulsion from the particular Academic Program.

The following are the departments in which a student may major:

BoNS Programs:
  • History

• Diplomacy

• Nationstates United Nations

• Military Theory
*Military Service (must be a member in the NPA; half of the credits must be from the NPMA)

DoNS Programs:
  • History

• TNP Law

• Military Administration

• World Affairs
Upon declaring a major, the student will be asked to take certain courses relating to the chosen major.

In each program, a number of credits are required to graduate. AoNS program requires 14 AoNS credits. BoNS program requires 18 BoNS credits and 2 elective credits. Accelerated BoNS Program requires 5 AoNS credits, 18 BoNS credits, and 4 elective credits. DoNS program requires 25 DoNS credits plus 4 elective credits. Credits are gained by passing (with a score of six or higher) courses. Certain courses are required to graduate (such as core courses) and certain courses require prerequisites before they may be taken. The length of an Academic Program for any particular student will depend on how many classes they take at once.  Classes are subject to availability.  It is suggested not to take more than four classes at once.  If one fails a class, it will negatively impact their GPA and also not count towards graduation. The following is a list and description of courses. Not all courses are available for every semester. Available courses will be listed in the appropriate forum.

Those not in an academic program may take as many as three courses at a time. However, those in an Academic Program will be given preference if a class is almost full. Prerequisites still apply for those taking individual courses. To take a DoNS level course individually, on must have gained at least one degree (AoNS, BoNS, or DoNS).

Course Catalogue

A## – AoNS level courses

B## - BoNS level courses

D## - DoNS level courses

E## - Elective (all level) courses

Introduction to Nationstates I (A01) – An introduction course to Nationstates, this class will look at the overview of the game, basic concepts, and management of one’s individual nation. Grades will be determined by a short final exam. 3 credits

Introduction to Nationstates II (A02) – A more advanced introduction course to Nationstates it will examine the concept of regional government and forum participation. Grades will be determined by a short final exam. Prerequisites: A01. 3 credits

The Nationstates United Nations, An Introduction (A03)– This course will examine the concept of the Nationstates United Nations, how it works, and how to participate in it. Grades will be determined by a short final exam. 3 credits

Introduction to Defending/Invading (A04) – This class will discuss Nationstates invading and defending and its influence in Nationstates. Grades will be determined by a short final essay. 3 credits

TNP History I (A05) – This is a class on the basic history of The North Pacific. It does not concentrate on a particular era, rather it gives an overview of how TNP has evolved. Grades will be determined by a short final essay. 3 credits

Issues, what are they? (A06) – This class will examine, more in depth, the influence issues have on your nation. Grades will be determined by class participation and a few short quizzes. 2 credits

Communication I (A07) – This class will discuss the different modes of communication between nations and between regions. Grades will be determined by class participation. 2 credits

Writing NSUN Resolutions I (B01) – This writing intensive class will go over the proper format to write Nationstates UN Resolutions and Repeals. Grades will be determined by a final essay. 3 credits

TNP Constitution (B02) – This is a class on the study of the current TNP Constitution and its history.  This is a two-semester course. Grades will be determined by a final exam. 7 credits

Defending I (B03) – This is a class that will discuss the theory and strategy behind defending and liberating regions as it is currently practiced. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: A04 or recommendation from Minister of Defense (for high-ranking military officers in the Military Service major). 3 Credits

Invading I (B04) – This is a class that will discuss the theory and strategy behind invading regions as it is currently practiced. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: A04. 3 Credits

Diplomacy I (B05) – This class will examine the importance of diplomacy in Nationstates, its history, and its practice. Grades will be determined by a series of short essays during the semester. 3 credits

TNP History II (B06) – This history course will cover in depth the history of TNP prior to the last Constitutional Convention. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: A05 or recommendation from Board of Regents (for long-time TNP nations). 3 credits

TNP History III (B07) – This history course will cover in depth the history of TNP including and following the last Constitutional Convention. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: B06. 3 credits.

NS World History I (B08) – This history course will briefly cover major world NS events to try and understand the connection between the histories of various regions. Grades will be determined by a final essay. 3 credits

History of NS Resolutions I (B09) – This class will study the first third of NSUN Resolutions. Grades will be determined by a final exam. 3 credits.

History of NS Resolutions II (B10) – This class will study the second third of NSUN Resolutions. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: B09. 3 credits.

History of NS Resolutions III (B11) – This class will study the final third of NSUN Resolutions. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: B10. 3 credits.

Defending II (D01) – This course will discuss the history of defending, advanced defense techniques, and famous defense missions. Grades will be determined by class participation. Prerequisites: B03. 3 credits

Invading II(D02) – This course will discuss the history of invading, advanced invasion techniques, and famous invasions. Grades will be determined by class participation. Prerequisites: B04. 3 credits

Diplomacy II (D03) – This course will look at the different treaties and diplomatic negotiations in the history of Nationstates and will discuss their effectiveness. Grades will be determined by a short research paper. Prerequisites: B05. 3 credits

NS World History II (D04) – This history course will discuss the early era of Nationstates era and how it compares to the current world situation. Grades will be based on a final essay. Prerequisites: B08. 3 credits

Advanced NS World History (D05) – This history course will discuss, in depth, events that influenced various parts of the Nationstates world. Grades will be determined by a series of exams throughout the course. This is a two-semester course. Prerequisites: B08. 7 credits

NS Intelligence I (D06)– This course will look at intelligence and counter-intelligence in Nationstates, particularly in a military setting. Grades will be determined by a final exam. Prerequisites: B05. 3 credits.

NS Intelligence II (D07) – This course will examine the little-seen world of domestic intelligence and counter-intelligence in Nationstates. Grades will be determined by a final essay. Prerequisites: D03, D06. 4 credits

Passing a NSUN Resolution (D08) – This class will discuss the best strategies to pass a resolution and will look at past successful resolutions and failed resolutions to see why they passed or failed. Grades will be determined by a final project. Prerequisites: B01. 4 credits

The Power of Democracy in Nationstates (D09) – This course will examine the effect democratic governments have had in Nationstates, not only on their own citizens but also with respect to foreign affairs. Grades will be determined by class participation. 3 credits

Nationstates Regional Analysis (D10) – This is an independent research course, in which a student will select a non-feeder region of 100+ nations and detail in a paper the history and government of the region, while at the same time proving a thesis of their own choosing. The student is encouraged to contact the region while working on this project. Grades will be determined by the research paper. This is a two-semester course. Prerequisites: B08. 8 credits

TNP Law I (D11) - This class examines the the basics of The North Pacific Legal Code and students will study important laws in the region.  Grades will be determined by a final exam.  Prerequisites: B02.  3 credits

TNP Law II (D12) - This class will examine the laws of the region closely, discuss court procedure, and study certain court cases in TNP. Grades will be determined by a final exam.  Prerequisites: D11.  3 credits

Pacific Politics (E01) – This course will look at the political history and current governments of all five “Pacific” regions (The North Pacific, The East Pacific, The South Pacific, The West Pacific, and The South Pacific). Grades will be determined by class participation. 2 credits

Government Types (E02) – This class will study the various types of governments in Nationstates and their effectiveness. Grades will be determined by class participation. 2 credits

Defense/Invading Lab (E03) – This lab is an exercise in defense and invasion operations. The course will be a series of invasions and defense/liberation missions. One must be taking B04, B05, D01, or D02 during the same semester. Grades will be determined by participation in the labs. 2 credits

Vexillology (E04) - This course will examine the different flags in Nationstates and how to design a flag for Nationstates.  Grades will be determined by a final project.  1 credit

Cartography (E05) - This course will examine the science and art of map making in Nationstates.  Grades will be determined by a final project  1 credit

NS Role Playing (E06) - This fun class will discuss the value of role playing in Nationstates and proper etiquette while role playing.  Grades will be determined by participation in class role playing threads.  1 credit

Forums and their Importance in NS (E07) - In this course, one will explore the importance of off-site forums in Nationstates.  Grades will be determined by a short essay.  1 credit

Forums and their Importance in NS II (E08) - This course will focus on the technical, organizational, and administrative aspects of forums in Nationstates.  Grades will be determined by a final exam.  Prerequisite: E07.  3 credits.

Independent Study (E09 & E10) – This is an independent course in which the nation chooses a topic, approved by the Chancellor, to do research on. Grades will be determined by a short final essay. This has two course numbers because it can be taken twice for two separate topics and essays. 1 credit

I will ahve to read through once I feel more inclined to do so. BUt, overall it is very detailed and logically outlined. I for one approve of it for now as Ator People has outlined. Kudos! :w00t:

Thanks EM for posting it.

That was really just an outline of what I pictured the University to be. I would like to help make some of the things a reality. Just let me know what you want me to do.

Back