New Issue!

I just got my second issue published!

I submitted it years ago and it's 1060 days after my last one!

Like my first issue, it isn't my best work but I'm still proud to have it put through by Sirocco.

Issue 204

Lack Of Doctors Needs Cure

The Issue
A newspaper article revealed that patients are waiting months for the most urgent operations. Hospitals have blamed it on a lack of qualified doctors and nurses.

The Debate
"The problem is that there just aren't enough incentives to enter the medical profession," says Doctor Alexei Longbottom. "We need to advertise government grants for medical students, give more funding to educational centres of medicine. If you don't act quickly then Emperor Matthuis will have a full-blown healthcare crisis!"

"Nah, it's just that we don't have the numbers of graduates or young doctors needed to fill the gap before we have a 'crisis'," says Elizabeth Clinton, leafing through pages of statistics. "The best solution is to recruit doctors from abroad. If we snag 'em from the poorer countries then we won't have to spend half as much as grants would cost us."

"Or we could NOT waste money on bringing foreigners into the country," grumbles Aaron Longfellow, a wealthy businessman. "And giving money to the students? How many of them do you think will stay the whole course, hmm? How many Quillys are we going to burn on this? Our healthcare system is great, there are thousands upon thousands of nations that would give their right province for what we have. I think we can afford to let go of some of that funding and give the good people of Emperor Matthuis a tax break, don't you?"

Nice, fail to see the reason for the last option other than that the ratio between raising spending and cutting taxes issues are woefully unbalanced.

Issue 208

Mine Collapse Rocks Emperor Matthuis

The Issue
A mine has collapsed in Emperor Matthuis burying hundreds of workers. Calls have been made by the families to tighten up mining safety laws.

The Debate
"We need tighter laws to protect vulnerable miners!" moans Hack Shiomi, a family member of one of the victims. "The mines are being propped up by twigs, the hard hats might as well be made of polystyrene, and the inspectors are all bribed! New laws must be made and the people responsible for allowing this to happen brought to justice."

"These allegations are ludicrous and unfounded," says Lars Rubin, CEO of the South Emperor Matthuis Mining Company. "We use the finest twigs to build our mines and the last thing we need is the government tying us down with yet more rules. More safety laws means more expense means less profit and less profit means companies will look elsewhere to get their goods. You should leave us alone before you destroy thousands of jobs - do you really want that on your conscience?"

Hopefully a few more of my issues will be accepted because I submitted a load one night a year or two ago, that included these two issues. Finally, I think that I have now the second highest amount of issues published, second only to Frigben, who no longer has a nation.

Back