Certification

There's been a lot of talk about a certification or degree system; how should we go about implementing this? Should there be a required number of courses? A final project/exam? Should there be different levels of certifications? Should a "credit" system be used?

etc.

I think it is something that hasn't been done, and I bet we could ask Thel to design aomething small that could be used as sig images as well as an appropriate reference in text.

Since you had something in mind with the list of suggested courses, what were you thinking of?

And of course, while we'll include it in the commission report, it can always be tweated once a board of regents and a chancellor are in place. So anything won't be set in solid stone.

My idea was this.

Certification will be based on three different levels. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. We can pick better titles for them.

These example courses will serve to help explain my idea:

Beginner Courses
  • Introduction to Nationstates - 3 credits
  • The Nationstates United Nations, an introduction - 3 credits
  • Introduction to defending/invading - 3 credits
  • TNP History I - 3 credits
  • Issues, what are they? - 2 credits
  • Communication between nations and regions - 2 credits
Intermediate Courses
  • Writing NSUN Resolutions I - 4 credits
  • TNP Constitution - 3 credits
  • Defending I - 3 credits
  • Invading I - 3 credits
  • Diplomacy I - 3 credits
  • Writing Issues - 3 credits
  • TNP History II - 3 credits
  • History of NSUN Resolutions I - 3 credits
  • NS World History I - 3 credits
Advanced Courses
  • Defending II - 3 credits
  • Invading II - 3 credits
  • Diplomacy II - 3 credits
  • History of NSUN Resolutions II - 3 credits
  • Writing NSUN Resolutions II - 3 credits
  • NS World History II  - 3 credits
  • NS World History III - 3 credits
  • NS Intelligence I - 3 credits
  • NS Intelligence II - 4 credits
  • Passing a NSUN Resolution - 4 credits
  • The Power of Democracy in NS - 4 credits
  • Nationstates Government Analysis - 4 credits
Electives
  • Flag Design - 1 credit
  • Cartography - 2 credits
  • NS Role Playing - 2 credits
  • Forums and their Importance in NS - 2 credits
  • Forums and their Importance in NS II - 3 credits

To graduate from the beginning level, you must complete 12 credits in the "beginner" section. To graduate from the intermediate level, you must complete 20 credits. To graduate from the advanced level, you must complete 25 credits (and already have a intermediate level certification).

At the intermediate and advanced levels you must also choose a "major." Majors include military, history, diplomacy, and NSUN. You must take the courses associated with your major (military would take all defending/invading couses, NSUN would take all courses on NSUN resolutions, etc.). Elective courses can be taken by anyone, however they may only account for 1/4 of the credits required for each level (you cannot take all electives and have them count towards your advanced level certification).

Beginner level certifications would be general, however the intermediate and advanced levels would have certifications specific to one's major.

Ator, i think we can go with this.

The point of te topic is made, it is a starting point from which the board and the chancellor can work with to polish, and if a serious flaw emerges that we're not seeing now, then they would be the ones who can work it out.

Back