Leave of Absence

Computer problems, again, school, stress and family hitting critical mass! Will be gone until Dec 1 if not sooner. Sorry but no replacement has been chosen and I will leave it up to Cabinet, however someone with already mod powers will be easiest.

I am completely sorry but the stress quite simply of so much to do is completely killing me, as such I need to devote full attention to school and cradling what little sanity I have left. I'm gone until Dec 1st, if not sooner, until then you'll need someone to replace me. Grosse should be an obvious candidate given his trustworthiness and his mod powers. It's completely up to you, I cannot begin to apologize enough. SORRY!

Out of fairness to the Regional Assembly, I am going to move this thread to that subforum. I've also merged the two into one pinned thread.

The Constitution does make the Prime Minister acting speaker in the case of a vacancy. At the moment, there is no vacancy, but there is no other provision for filling a temporary absence of the Speaker, other than reliance on that particular provision.

I'll leave this thread open so if the membership of the RA have serious objection to my acting as Speaker until Mr. Sniffles makes a final decision concerning his own status in office, they can post for the next few days. (Probably until Monday -- we don't even have an inactivity ptovision in place yet for the Speaker.) The other option is for me to appoint a Speaker pro tempore until Mr. Sniffles' status is finalized.

I could do it. It'll be fun. I'll Speaker your brains out.

No? No one wants me to do it?

Well fine, you're all quite fat and very very ugly!

*runs away crying*

I would recommend us creating the appointed position of Deputy Speaker to fulfill the needs of the speaker.

While I would love to take up the job, a short 5 day leave is nothing and I hold no objection for you to run the assembly, and I don't see ATM why anyone would.

Which brings up the issue of whether it is potentially possible for the RA, via a 'house rule' or specific legislation to create a 'speaker pro tempore'. I would say that given the constitutional provision relating to this, we might have to go as far a creating an amendment to that effect.

Any thoughts on this?

The constitutional provision only deals with vacancies as such, but I took the gavel at Mr. Sniffles' specific request.

A rule might be a good idea though since the Speaker does not have a full-time deputy who acn act for them. (Neither does the Prime Minister.)

The adoption of a law to allow both offices to designate "pro tempore" in case of a absence is another possibility since there are functions that only the Speaker can exercise on the one hand; and only the Prime Minister can, on the other.

Back