Defining treason

One of the issues last spring that generated a lot of discussion was the interest some had to exempt charges of treason from the bill on the Statute of Limitations. At that time there was no agreement on what the definition shoulld be and the issue was left to be decided later.
The earlier preliminary discussion on a proposal to define “treason” is found at:
http://z13.invisionfree.com/TNP/index.php?showtopic=895

As an unexpected side effect of the recent events concerning the Lexicon and their inappropriate activities within The North Pacific, I believe my predecessor, flemingovia, found the verbal formulation that appropriately defines "treason" and makes it possible to place into the Legal Code a law that uses that formulation to define the crime of treason, fix the maximum criminal penalty for treason, and make an exception to the statute of limitation for prosecution for committing treason against The North Pacific.

I propose the adoption of the following as a law to be placed in the Legal Code. Its adoption will not be affected by or impacted by, the proposed constitutional amendment to amend the oath taken upon application to be a member of the Regional Assembly. This is a proposal independent of that issue:

Draft bill on defining the crime of "treason":
Bill Section 1. A new Law entitled “Criminal Offenses” is enacted as part of the Legal Code, as follows:

TNP Law ____
Criminal Offenses

Section 1. Treason.
A. “Treason” defined. For the purposes of this Law, or elsewhere in the Legal Code or in the Constitution, “treason” is defined as the actions of the player controlling a nation nominally located within The North Pacific” that directly wages war against The North Pacific, or allies themselves with a region waging war, declared or not, against The North Pacific. The actions of a player pursuant to the lawful orders of The North Pacific Army or The North Pacific Intelligence Agency are excepted from this definition.

B. Criminal offense; maximum penalty. Treason is declared to be a criminal offense. The maximum punishment that may be imposed on a party found guilty of treason may include:
(1) the permanent ejection and banning of the convicted party from The North Pacific;
(2) the permanent ejection and banning of the convicted party from membership in the Regional Assembly;
(3) the permanent ejection of the convicted party from The North Pacific Army; and
(4) the permanent disqualification and removal of the convicted party from any office or position within the government of The North Pacific.
The penalty shall apply to all nations that the convicted party has controlled or will control that is placed within The North Pacific at any time.
C. Suspension pending trial. At the time an indictment is issued, the Prime Minister or the Attorney General, or the prosecutor appointed by the Attorney General, may file a ex parte civil proceeding with the Court of The North Pacific requesting a court order that suspends the indicted party from the Regional Assembly or any office or position within the government of The North Pacific pending the outcome of the criminal proceeding. This suspension shall apply to all nations that the indicted party has controlled or will control that is placed within The North Pacific at any time.

Bill Section 2. Amendment to Statute of Limitations. TNP Law 13 is amended to add a new Section 8 concerning exceptions to the Statute of Limitations, as follows;
Section 8. Exception to Statute of Limitation. This Law does not apply to criminal proceedings founded upon the crime of treason, as defined by TNP Law ___, committed on or after the date that Law is enacted. As to such criminal offenses, there is no limitations period.

Bill Section 3. These provisions take effect upon their adoption as a Law.

I really like this addition to the legal code. I think it accomplished what the "new oath" was supposed to, but in a much better manner.

I am for this 100%.

Section 1. Treason.
A. “Treason” defined. For the purposes of this Law, or elsewhere in the Legal Code or in the Constitution, “treason” is defined as the actions of the player controlling a nation nominally located within The North Pacific” that directly wages war against The North Pacific, or allies themselves with a region waging war, declared or not, against The North Pacific. The actions of a player pursuant to the lawful orders of The North Pacific Army or The North Pacific Intelligence Agency are excepted from this definition.
Duly noted. :eyebrow:

I note your note of his note of the original note.  :shifty:
It is proper to take good notation when using a quotation for recitation toward rectification, lest these habeus corpuses be used for the wrong porpoises.

porpoisepz9.png

C. Suspension pending trial. At the time an indictment is issued, the Prime Minister or the Attorney General, or the prosecutor appointed by the Attorney General, may file a ex parte civil proceeding with the Court of The North Pacific requesting a court order that suspends the indicted party from the Regional Assembly or any office or position within the government of The North Pacific pending the outcome of the criminal proceeding. This suspension shall apply to all nations that the indicted party has controlled or will control that is placed within The North Pacific at any time

Check for me, because i may be crazed here...but does the constitution say something to the effect of "inncoent until proven guilty"?

Innocent unless proven guilty applies to criminal cases. Standards for criminal and civil proceedings are different.

That paragraph authorizes a civil proceeding, and the Constitution does not limit the remedies in a civil proceeding in the same way as a criminal proceeding (where the jury and not the court sets the actual punishment.)

...or allies themselves with a region waging war, declared or not, against The North Pacific.
I think that we need to have at least an informal understanding of what we mean by waging of war, and also what constitutes being allied with a region. Am I allied with a region if I have citizenship in their region? If I have a nation in their region? What about posting something in a TNP bash thread? There are many actions a player could take which we wouldn't like that don't actually aid the enemy.

I don't think this needs to be put into the law itself, but what sorts of actions are we specifically trying to get at with this law?

No we're not as "innocent until ptoven guilty" is a standard of proof in criminal and not civil cases.
Suspension of privileges pending trial is a common matter in RL. Soliders are suspended from active duty, officeholders are suspended from office, attorneys are suspended from the bar, diplomats are recalled, and what have you in response to a criminal accusation.
The precedent has already been set (by flemingovia last term) and the discussion in the Security council established that it could address emergency measures involving a security threat to the region not involving ndotarting.
If anything, bill section 3 places into law a preference for judicial action with reference to suspension; but it does not prevent action to suspend or remove with approval by the Security Council or the Cabinet, as circumstances dictate.

as for my 2 cents...I alwyas thought that treason was aiding and abetting an enemy of the region and it was up to the court if the offenses

1-were committed
2-committed by said person
3-meet the constitutional requirement for treason

we do need more of a def for what war means. I believe we should require the SC or SOMEONE to recognize a "state of conflict" of some sort in order for treason to take effect.

I'm going to post Flemingovia's explanation for the original proposal since this was the formulation that was originally brought forward in the amendment to the constitutional oath requirement, where that same phrasology appears. (And noting that at this writing, that amendment has passed the RA with a two-thirds majority vote.)

Flemingovia:
It may help other RA members to know the reasons why I proposed the change to our society which Mr Sniffles outlined in his first post (whether it is implimented in a const change or a law I will leave to the experts to determine.)

Almost from the moment of the adoption of the current constitution, a loophole has been evident that has been constantly exploited by those who wish us ill.

That loophole has two parts:

First, it is absurdly easy to become an RA member. Post the oath and you are in - there is no questioning of it, no examination of the applicant, no decision to be made. People treat becoming a RA member as if it is a right for anybody. And perhaps it is.

Now this would not be too much of a problem if the RA oath was watertight. But, as I shall show below it is not.

Second, the constitution was written consistently refering to nations. Nations are covered by the constitution, not the players.

Consider for a moment the absurdity of this. Nations are inanimate. It is players who make decisions. It is as if our RL laws concerning murder covered murder weapons, and we put them on trial, not the murderers. asking a nation to take an oath is as stupid as asking a sword or a dagger to promise not to stab anyone. What matters is how they are weilded.

This has been exploited almost from the moment the constitution was written, with players who are actively working to take over or undermine this region maintaining a nation within the RA of the region, even, theoretically, able to become ministers or delegate.

All the player need to do is to be careful not to attack the region in any way with the nation specifically put into the RA. They can do what they like with their other puppets.

Now I was involved in drawing up this constitution, and I KNOW this was not the intent of the drafters. But it is the situation we are in, and it leads to several problems.

1. It means, in a war situation, that enemy powers cannot easily be forum banned, as they have RA "rights".

2. It means we have a potentially large security problem. Not least because discussions and decisions by the RA are known to those attacking us. Even should we decide at any point to have a RA discussion behind closed doors, it woud be immediately ineffective.

3. It means that the RA oath is meaningless, since it binds the nation not the player. A player can sign the oath with a puppet quite easily, then attack the region with other nations and forum accounts.

4. It means we are, frankly, the cause of much bewilderment and laughter in other regions. I do not know of any other region who would embrace so readily players who are actively attacking the region.

5. It means that our justice system is ineffective. We can pass whatever laws we like, but if a player is careful, they are untouchable.

Please note, what I have said above is informed by, but does not specifically refer to aspects of our conflict with the Lexicon, nor trials which have or are being carried out in the region. I just think there is an unforseen hole in our constitution that we ought to patch.

Trying to create a strict definition of "allies themselves with a region waging war, declared or not, against The North Pacific," raises the same sort of issues that trying to impose any form of rigid endo caps does on UN nation endorsements. By adopting a strict definition, it creates a "safe harbor" for those who intend ill against us. Likewise, imposing a strict definition of this language also creates a "safe harbor" for activities that seek to undermine the region. It was these sorts of activities that Flemingovia was referring to in his statement that I just quoted above.

In view of the Lexicon's recent activities, which include a plot within the region to subvert the most recent elections within the region by subversion and inflitration, and it would seem, an subsequent, more recent attempt to unduly influence and interfere with the Regional Assembly's vote on the oath amendment, there is no question in my mind that these are the sort of activities that this proposed law should address. By its nature, we simply won't be able to have a precise definition, whether informal or otherwise; we're just going to have to let the facts in future situations guide us as to when this law should be applied and when it shouldn't.

I don't think that it is possible to draw a rigid line and say that fits and that doesn't fit. It is going to have to be fact-based dependent on the specific circumstances present. As with the phrasology used in that constitutional amendment; it is not directed towards invaider activity when the Tne North Pacific is not affected by that activity, and when the NPA is not involved in a defensive action concerning that activity.

If, however, a player intends to subvert our system in support of an external plot against The North Pacific either through a hostile takeover of the Delegacy or of the government or by attacking this forum from within, (or renders support for those that do so), then that should be considered to be a criminal offense.

We should keep in mind that while we are not at war with the Lexicon, we are not at peace with them either. And as long as they continue with these sorts of active interference with TNP's internal affairs, then we need to have mechanisms in place to address such threats within our constitutional system. The change in the oath does not cover all the circumstances that we need to be concerned about; nor can I say for certain that this or any other law would cover all conceivable circumstances, but I feel comfortable that by allowing the judicial process to apply this to a set of facts proven to it, the law and the amendment to the oath will likely cover a great percentage of such circumstances.

@ Freedom and Pride: There are already mechanisms through the Cabinet and the Security Council; and in theory the Court already could entertain a ex parte petition from the government for a remedy such as suspension by way of a filind of a civil proceeding. Bill section 3 just makes the judicial option more explicit than it would otherwise be.

an subsequent, more recent attempt to unduly influence and interfere with the Regional Assembly's vote on the oath amendment, there is no question in my mind that these are the sort of activities that this proposed law should address.

So someone, who happenes to be A Lexiconian too, points out that the speaker of the RA screwed up running a vote and thats subversion?

Section 1. Treason.
Duly noted. :eyebrow:
Think about it, Kirby - I've got an agent undercover in an invader organization. At some point, they invade The North Pacific for whatever reason, supporting an endotart that the SC hasn't given authorization to eject yet. In order to keep his cover, my agent has to remain involved in this invasion or he'll be discovered, losing his position in the organization, losing the NPIA's information tap, and ruining the NPIA's chances of getting another agent back in to replace him.

Such an act, endorsing a known tarter for the purpose of overthrowing the Delegate, would be an act of war and thus treason. However, this hypothetical agent would be unable to say no if he wished to maintain his cover. And according to this wording, they don't even have to be actively involved. If I had an agent in the Lexicon during the war, they would have been at risk of treason charges under this law - their cover nation would be allied with a region declaring war on TNP. (Note: this is simply hypothetical. If anyone from the Lexicon honestly thinks I would openly admit to placing an agent like this, I suggest you have your head examined.) Obviously, if there were any way to avoid committing an act of treason, it should have priority, but if the only options are discovery and treason, I'll choose treason.

Point is, it is at times necessary to take part in an act of treason for the greater good of the region. Obviously, though, we can't have people running around willy nilly using that as an excuse, so it's limited to those actions authorized by the Minister of Defense, Prime Minister, or Director of The North Pacific Intelligence Agency, as the NPA and NPIA are the two organizations most likely to do so.

Think about it, Kirby - I've got an agent undercover in an invader organization. At some point, they invade The North Pacific for whatever reason, supporting an endotart that the SC hasn't given authorization to eject yet. In order to keep his cover, my agent has to remain involved in this invasion or he'll be discovered, losing his position in the organization, losing the NPIA's information tap, and ruining the NPIA's chances of getting another agent back in to replace him.

Such an act, endorsing a known tarter for the purpose of overthrowing the Delegate, would be an act of war and thus treason. However, this hypothetical agent would be unable to say no if he wished to maintain his cover. And according to this wording, they don't even have to be actively involved. If I had an agent in the Lexicon during the war, they would have been at risk of treason charges under this law - their cover nation would be allied with a region declaring war on TNP. (Note: this is simply hypothetical. If anyone from the Lexicon honestly thinks I would openly admit to placing an agent like this, I suggest you have your head examined.) Obviously, if there were any way to avoid committing an act of treason, it should have priority, but if the only options are discovery and treason, I'll choose treason.

Point is, it is at times necessary to take part in an act of treason for the greater good of the region. Obviously, though, we can't have people running around willy nilly using that as an excuse, so it's limited to those actions authorized by the Minister of Defense, Prime Minister, or Director of The North Pacific Intelligence Agency, as the NPA and NPIA are the two organizations most likely to do so.

In that case it isn't an act of treason. I'm not quite sure the phrasing makes sense, because surely an order to commit an act of treason would be an unlawful, rather than lawful, order? Considering as there is no oversight of the NPIA whatsoever that clause is unlikely to ever be an issue, but still.

Out of interest, is the Director of the NPIA actually referred to at all in the Constitution/Legal Code?

Hoar Chall, the North Pacific Intelligence Agency and its leadership is expressly mentioned in the Constitution in Article III, Section 2, Part 2:

C - There is to be a North Pacific Intelligence Agency whose duties are to collect and analyze confidential intelligence information for the benefit of the Regional Government and the region as a whole. The Prime Minister shall appoint the leadership of the North Pacific Intelligence Agency after consultation with the personnel of that agency. Any matter concerning the Agency's activities and personnel, except in the case of a criminal prosecution, shall be discussed in confidence without reference in any public record; however, there may be disclosure of confidential information in connection with a criminal or impeachment proceeding. The Prime Minister shall be responsible to the Cabinet and the Regional Assembly for the ongoing oversight of the Agency.

Please take note of the fact that the NPIA is accountable to me as Prime Minister, and I think it fair to say that the defense and intelligence functions would acknowledge that since I took office, I have been exercising that oversight.

I know it refers to the NPIA. I was asking specifically about the Director. And, I'm afraid, I don't consider the nominal, apparent, oversight of the PM to be good enough in our system. Whilst it has been around for sometime I have never been happy with it, and am particularly concerned considering the recent authoritarian moves within the region.

Whilst it has been around for sometime I have never been happy with it, and am particularly concerned considering the recent authoritarian moves within the region.

Well, that's a twist, since Heft and others are complaining that the PM has too little power as one of their justifications to seek consolidation of ministries.

The alternative to doing nothing, which it seems you are advocating as a solution, is to continue to leave the region exposed to interference and subversion from outside the region.

I would submit to you that for Flemingovia, Hersfold, and I, (three of the five people who have been directlly elected as Prime Minister in this region), have the preservation of democracy and constitutional government foremost in our view of security issues (as I think Tresville would as well had he not left the game). At the same time we also see a need to address these matters and erect a balanced mechanism to better protect the region from these elements who insist on interference and subversion.

In my view, we are not edging towards authoritarianism; but we are recognizing that we have to have better mechanisms that serve the region's need and right to have a sense of security, especially from those forces that have made clear from their past behavior that they desire to abolish democratic, constitutional government for an oppressive regime of their own making, a government that would be far more than just seeming to be more authoritarian.

Please take note of the fact that the NPIA is accountable to me as Prime Minister, and I think it fair to say that the defense and intelligence functions would acknowledge that since I took office, I have been exercising that oversight.

More so than any Prime Minister to date, yes. :)

Haor, I have to agree with Gross. Our Constitution was written out of paranoia - it's been pointed out before. We've set up our system of government to have so many checks and balances that by the time something has cleared all the red tape, it's a moot point, because the crisis has either abated or we've found another way to deal with it. We're discovering that to our dismay now. The Fulhead trial has been going on now for almost two months, and the defense has yet to present their case. We've lost our first prosecutor, and half the jury has wandered off, putting us back at square one.

Pure democracy, where everyone has a say in everything, is not the best government. By the time you get everyone together and get everyone to agree on everything, it's too late or nobody cares. A democratic government that has some authority to act on it's own - representative democracy - may be more authoritarian, but it still gets things done, and still has to answer to the will of the people. We're not turning TNP into a dictatorship, nobody wants to see that, we're just cutting the red tape so that we can do things. If you'd rather the government sit on its ever-growing ass and do nothing, that's your choice. I'd prefer that we give it the chance to exercise a bit.

As an aside to something Hersfold just said.

I've already sent a request to the justices of the Court asking them for feedback as to what might need to be changed in the Constitution or Legal Code so they can adopt or implement court rules that will speed up jury selection and presentation of evidence at a trial.

I haven't filed anything formally with the Court yet because I'd like to have their thoughts in a informal setting and work out a common plan that would speed up the process. But I'm not precluded from doing so if I have to.

Whilst it has been around for sometime I have never been happy with it, and am particularly concerned considering the recent authoritarian moves within the region.

Glad someone else said it :worship:

Our Constitution was written out of paranoia - it's been pointed out before. We've set up our system of government to have so many checks and balances that by the time something has cleared all the red tape, it's a moot point, because the crisis has either abated or we've found another way to deal with it.

But in so many ways the constitution, and thus the region, is sliding even further into a paranoia state. we may be making moves to cut out the red tape but still the most recent set of governments seem to be setting precedents that make it easier to ignore any checks and balances and remove, with no consideration for the laws of the region, a persons rights and possibly a persons place in the region. While my trial is slow moving it at least symbolises a justice system (albeit a flawed one). But there seems to be an attitude that this isnt right anymore! And I think this act personifies that!

This is a kneejerk response to the current trial!! No more, no less!! We already have one trial based on unlawful accusations!! Now there will be laws allowing for the government to remove the accused nation's RA membership and sanction that nation prior to trial based on what?!

Innocent until proven guilty?! For some, perhaps!!

As an opinion, I do not think this a knee-jerk reaction to anything. Democracy is always under assault from those who want to dispense with it to more or less some degree. If you don't streamline things to a certain extent the minutiae (pardon my Latin) will strangle it. On the other hand, absolute Democracy can result in anarchy, or worse yet, apathy.

It isn't a matter of paranoia. It's a matter of practicality that we have a constitution that is overly protective of democracy. Government is a tool of the people and not the other way around. And, in all practicality, people should be slightly suspicious of government in general lest complacency lead to the erosion of democracy.

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance." ------------Thomas Jefferson

Vigilance is not paranoia.

I guess it is just a coincidence that this discussion arose at the time it did!! If you can't kick someone out under the current law, then I guess you are left with no alternative but to redefine the laws to achieve that goal!!

TNP has set itself up, whether it be by design or by accident, as a region where many people have resident nations while also having nations in other regions!! I find it odd that it is now demanded that the operation of all those nations be dictated by the government of TNP!!

This loose and arbitrary definition only succeeds in giving the government unrestricted powers to remove members of the Regional Assembly pending a trial!! Now, I know you have all been around long enough to know that a trial in TNP is measured in months, not days or weeks!! So, in a game where we hold 4 elections per calendar year, a person "on trail for suspicion of treason" could miss 2, 3 or even 4 election cycles depending on how busy the judicial system is at any given time!! That is akin to 8, 12 or 16 years if correlated to a real-life cycle of an election every 4 years!! And then if found not-gulity?! They have already served time for a crime they are not guilty of committing!!

Now, this legislation may have some usefulness if it were at all possible to "wage war" in any real sense in this game!! But you can't!! If we have a diligent and well endorsed Delegate, nothing can be done to harm the region at all!! This legislation won't prevent a "rogue" Delegate nor will it prevent people from regions not on friendly terms with us registering nations in our Regional Assembly!!

All it does is allow the government to kick out people they don't especially like on the basis of the possibility they have committed "treason"!!

Back