At Vote: Repeal "Sexual Freedom"

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
The resolution quoted below is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

The voting on the forum will close on Fri., Nov. 3, 2006 at 11:59pm GMT.

The Resolution at Vote:
Repeal "Sexual Freedom"
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #7
Proposed by: Karmicaria

Description: UN Resolution #7: Sexual Freedom (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The United Nations,

RECOGNIZING the Universal right to privacy for sexual relations;

COMMENDING the intent of Sexual Freedom to protect such privacy;

MINDFUL of various important reasons, for example, criminal investigations and public safety, where the government has a legitimate right to protect its citizens;

CONCERNED that the limitation of UNR #7 to the "home" does not allow for non "home" private settings, such as rental properties, hotel rooms, etc.;

FEARFUL that the resolution, as written may result in unreported epidemics, unsolved murders, and a number of other problems which can have a dramatic impact on the population at large;

WISHING to curtail continued omissions; ENCOURAGING a more detailed replacement;

Hereby repeals UNR#7 Sexual Freedom

I have invited the author of the repeal, Karmicaria, to visit the forum. She has also drafted a proposal to replace the original resolution. The following is the text of Resolution #7:
UNITED NATIONS RESOLUTION #7

Sexual Freedom
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Armstrongonia

Description: What goes on between two (or more) consenting adults in the privacy of their homes should not be the concern of the state unless it is neccesary to enquire about the afore mentioned activities for medical reasons (e.g. if the individuals wish to give blood etc.).

Votes For: 2,538
Votes Against: 318

Implemented: Thu Mar 13 2003

As much as I dislike repeals in general, Resolution 7 has been destroyed to by the increasing legal style wrangling that surrounds resolutions these days...

FOR Changed vote, see below post.

I am sick of these repeals, they seem to be done by people just wanting to pass a UN resolution and thinking that repealing an old one that wasn't written using the style that they all use nowadays will be much easier than actually writing their own resolution.

Against.

I'd like to thank Great Bights Mum for inviting me here to visit. I'd like to start off by saying a few things and then posting the replacement resolution.

Emperor Matthuis:
I am sick of these repeals, they seem to be done by people just wanting to pass a UN resolution and thinking that repealing an old one that wasn't written using the style that they all use nowadays will be much easier than actually writing their own resolution.

Against.

I don't want to just pass a UN resolution. I would like to pass a UN resolution that actually does what it's supposed to. The style UNR #7 is written in doesn't bother me. I could care less about the style. It's the actual text of the resolution that I have issues with. As written, freedoms are not protected. Anything could happen in the bedroom (including murder, either accidental or with motive) and no one would be able to do a thing about it.

In response to not writing my own resolution, I give you this.

Sexual Freedom Act:
The United Nations,

RECOGNIZING the inherently private nature of sexual intimacy, and

DESIRING to guarantee an individual's right to such privacy,

1. DEFINES sexual activities, for the purpose of this resolution, as behavior, in the form of consensual physical intimacy, that may be directed to reproduction, spiritual transcendence, or sexual gratification. Excluded from this definition are acts that result in the death or serious injury of a participant.

2. FURTHER DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, an adult as an individual who has reached the legal age of consent, as defined by the law of the nation in which the activity takes place.

3. BANS the criminalization of any form of sexual activity provided that, a) it is performed in privacy, and b) all participants are consenting adults.

4. FORBIDS governments, their agents and agencies from interfering with, conducting surveillance on, or investigating the private, consensual sexual activities of adults, subject to the exemptions below.

5. EXEMPTS from clause 4:

a. Obtaining evidence for determination of paternity,

b. Collecting information for epidemiological investigations,

c. Criminal or civil investigative activity where probable cause has been established requiring such information, and

d. Actions in situations where there is probable cause that death or serious bodily harm will result without immediate intervention.

I hope that this will help with your final decision. I will be checking in periodically to check on things and to defend the repeal.

Again, I thank your delegate for giving me the opportunity to visit The North Pacific. It is a fine region.

As written, freedoms are not protected.  Anything could happen in the bedroom (including murder, either accidental or with motive) and no one would be able to do a thing about it.
Well firstly the resolution is obviously about sex, not murder and it says 'consenting', again obviously meaning sex. So no court would never let someone get away with murder through using this resolution as a defence.

Right heads back on...

Having consider this more deeply, and observed the debate on going on the NS UN forums, I wish to change my vote.

The original resolution, is flawed, but not fatally.

The problems I have with the repeal are:

CONCERNED that the limitation of UNR #7 to the "home" does not allow for non "home" private settings, such as rental properties, hotel rooms, etc.;

Personally, I think home allows a suitably broad interpretation. I would be more worried of a replacement that tries to specifically mention all scernarios in which sexual privacy should be maintained, as it would undoubtly leave some out.

FEARFUL that the resolution, as written may result in unreported epidemics, unsolved murders, and a number of other problems which can have a dramatic impact on the population at large;

Surely epidemics are expressly covered by Resolution 7's medical reasons clause? I also do not see the criminal worries either. Resolution 7 is expressly about sexual freedom, anything other than that is not covered.

I would however like the thank karmicaria for posting here, itsrare we get reolution writer to actually come here. It also nice to see someone calling for a repeal, actually providing a credible draft of a replacement.

Unfortunately, my vote is AGAINST.

The Nomadic Peoples of Rijak respecting its constitution has to VOTE FOR this resolution.

The vote tally stands at 3/9. Therefore, I have voted against the repeal. Many thanks to karmicaria for visiting the forum and sharing her perspective.

Back