Grosseschnauzer for Prime Minister and SC

My fellow citizens of The North Pacific:

My Candidacy for the Security Council:

During the last election campaign, I emphasized the importance that the Security Council plays in assuring the security of our region as a democracy under the rule of law. As I said at that time:
SC is not and was never intended to initiate government action, it is intended to serve as the check and balance on the delegate and the government's decisions to take  action when necessary that involve regional security. This imposes a duty on the Delegate, Vice Delegate and the Cabinet Ministers to keep the SC membership informed by all available means so that the SC can do its job when required.

If re-elected, I will continue to maintain my practice of viligant attention to those matters that concern the SC, and will continue to argue for an efficient procedure within the government that will allow the SC, as a special committee of the RA, to act in a timely manner.

If there was any uncertainty as to the proper role of the Security Council in our region, and that this role serves an important purpose, the events of this week demonstrate that necessity without any question. I am seeking re-election to the Security Council to continue my service in working with the other Council members on behalf of the Regional Assembly to watch out for their interests in meeting any future challenges to the safety and security of The North Pacific, whether from inside or outside. But that announcement is not the only reason I come before my fellow citizens of The North Pacific.

My candidacy for Prime Minister:

During the last campaign, I was asked whether I had given any thought to another run through the Cabinet or the Court. At that time, I noted that being able to serve in the elected offices or the Court for a full term requires being able to safely make a commitment that I would be able to fulfill those duties for an entire term because I wasn’t about to accept a responsibility through an election or confirmation and then "disappear" or resign, never to be heard from for the remainder of the term. but I stated that when I thought the circumstances are right, I'd consider another campaign for one of the elected offices.

I believe that moment has arrived. I am a candidate for Prime Minister of The North Pacific. Recent developments have persuaded me that this is the better course for me, and in turn, will be a better course for The North Pacific. I believe in the rule of law and the protections they give each of us in this region.

I am, without the slightest doubt, a Constitutionalist. I believe that preventing the abrogation of our hard-earned and hard-sought democracy, whether from within or without, will serve the best interests of every one of us who believe in democratic government. I do not believe that to fix minor problems, we need to engage in major surgery that could, through inadvertence, threaten our system of government which protects the fundamental rights of our citizens through their participation in the government, whether in the North Pacific Army, the diplomatic corps, the Regional Assembly, the Courts, or by holding office in the elected Cabinet administration.

I am also concerned about the threats to our region from without as evidenced by the events of this week. Having served on the Security Council from the time it was first elected, I am well aware of the threats that seem to arise every election season from rouge nations seeking to make an end-run towards the Delegacy of The North Pacific. I am cognizant as anyone of the peculiar behavior of the Lexiconians and their allies, and the threat to our region they have presented and still present.

This is not a time for rash action or rash re-action, given recent events. This is the time to proceed with care, respectful of the rights and liberties we cherish, and within the Constitutional system we have in place. This is the time not to engage in rash adventurism that is contrary to our tradition of non-interference in the affairs of other regions, especially the feeders. I have never believed that warmongering is a part of the TNP tradition, and I do not support the call one of my opponents has made that we start wars for the fun of it. That is not the TNP way.

Interregional affairs

This is the time to continue the process of welcoming formal relations with all of the feeders as well as founded regions throughout Nationstates. It is with regret that the recent summit held here in The North Pacific was a squandered opportunity to lay a solid foundation of communication between all of the feeders. But in all honesty, the treaty that was presented to the Regional Assembly earlier this week did not justify the effort of putting a summit together. Assuring access to our forums for citizens of other feeder regions has never been an issue here, and I do not see what barriers exist that would have prevented the reciprocal exchange of embassies with each of the participants at the summit and that required a summit to produce a treaty. Even if one were assume that a treaty was necessary, the lack of communication and preparation that preceded the submission of the treaty to the Regional Assembly was an error.
Had there been discussions with the Regional Assembly before a treaty was finalized, some of the concerns that the members of the RA have expressed this week could have been addressed, and the final treaty could have been a much improved product. As it is, there is so much ambiguity in the submitted document that I am unable to support this specific document.

Defense and Intelligence

Do not mistake my position on that treaty to mean that I do not support relations with all of the feeders. I do support such efforts. As to the Lexicon, however, that is a different matter. The events of this week clearly demonstrate the need for strengthen our defense and our intelligence capacities. I will support the efforts of the next Minister of Defense and The North Pacific Army to strengthen their forces. I will support the North Pacific Intelligence Agency in any efforts it may have to increase its capacity. I will endeavor to keep the Security Council better and fully informed of any matters that concern the security of the region. If it turns out that member nations of The North Pacific colluded with the Lexicon in their recent adventure against our region, I will support the next Attorney General to seek swift prosecution and trial in accordance with our Constitution and Legal Code.

Constitutional change

In recent months, there are those who have complained that our Constitution and government are too complicated. They have sought to limit the role of the Regional Assembly and its members in our government, have chosen to ignore standing law of the region for the sake of political advantage and expediency, and have sought to change our system into something other than what it is.

Democracy, by its nature, is messy. That is the price we pay to protect the right to govern ourselves rather than to have others govern for us. Democracy by its very nature, is not simple. It takes dedication and hard work on the part of all of us to make it work the way it should. Democracy, by its nature, requires commitment – to fulfill our roles as citizens and and the elected and appointed officials of our citizenry.

While I do not oppose the current effort within the Regional Assembly that seeks to editorially reconcile the text of the Constitution, I will not support any substantive change in any part of the Constitution as a part of that effort. Any change in the substance of the Constitution needs to be done separately and considered independently. Deferring substantive change for separate consideration will speed up the proposals for editioral reformatting.

Judicial change

There have been complaints concerning the speed of trials, focusing on the current procedures used by the Court to empanel juries. I agree with the majority that voted against the wholesale abolition of the jury system. Jury participation is an essential part of the check and balance system that prevents the biased application of the legal system. I am receptive to concrete, incremental proposals to adapt the criminal system based on the experience the Court has sustained. I welcome the imput of the Court, and the next Attorney General, in these discussions, and I will ask the Court for its imput on this issue if I am elected as Prime Minister.

The Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs

I am also concerned about the problems that have existed with the Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs in its ongoing inability to verify the continued eligibility of the members of the Regional Assembly on an ongoing basis. It is clear to me that something has to be done. I will ask the Regional Assembly to review existing law on this matter with a view towards legislation to remove any perceived barriers to a continuous monitoring system concerning RA eligibility, and to permit the Speaker, or other Ministries, to supplement the MIIA in this role. If other changes are required in that Ministry as a result of recent events, I will promptly request enactment of such changes.

The Ministries of Culture and Education and Arts and Entertainment

Finally, there has been extended discussion about changes in the Ministries that comprise our Cabinet. While I have not endorsed any particular proposal, I do not favor a widespread change. I believe the Ministry of Communication, and the Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs, do not require consolidation with any other Ministry. As to the Ministry of Culture and Education, and the Ministry of Arts and Entertainment, I am open to suggestions as to what can be done.

I will note the following. First, there should be discussion as to what functions in these two Ministries should be part of the Government, and what part of those function would be better served as part of the forum administration.

Second, I fully support the realization of a University. In his earlier term as Prime Minister, Flemingovia had proposed the establishment of such an institution. I fully supported the idea then, and I still do. If elected, I will promptly appoint a commission of leading citizens to formulate a concrete plan to organize and operate such an institution in The North Pacific. I believe it is an excellent mechanism by which we can attract others to become fully engaged as citizens in The North Pacific, and to foster improved relations with other regions throughout Nationstates. It would be my firm goal to have the University formally established and operating by the end of my term of office.

Leadership

I believe strongly in collaborative leadership, that is, to provide a sense of direction and to work with my elected colleagues who you chose to comprise the next Cabinet. I will work with them to fulfill their separate responsibilities in their Ministries, and the responsibility the next Cabinet will share to uphold and enforce the Constitution and the laws of The North Pacific.

What I seek to do is to continue to build upon what has been accomplished by those who have served in the Cabinet and to meet the challenges we, as The North Pacific, face today and tomorrow; to assure the continuity of our society, and to assure a strong and vibrant region into the future.

I ask you all to join me in this effort in the name of the people of The North Pacific. I ask for your support for my election to another term as a member of the Security Council and for your support for my election as your Prime Minister.

Thank you for your interest, and I welcome any questions.

I don't know that I've ever written a Haiku....my thing sure isn't Japanese poetry....but let's see

Grosseschnauzer
Represents
"The TNP Way." :D

My kleineschnauzer, Edie, suggested the following as a haiku:

arf-arf-arf-arf-arf
arf-arf-arf-arf-arf-arf-arf
arf-arf-arf-arf-arf!

:lol: (Since its after midnight, its her birthday!)

Nice to see you running.

On the university question, how do you believe (in light of previous failed attempts, here and elsewhere) that you can make it work?

Nice to see you running.

On the university question, how do you believe (in light of previous failed attempts, here and elsewhere) that you can make it work?
To what extent would you give the responsibility for carrying out this vision to the elected Minister of Culture and Education?

Zemnaya Svoboda:
To what extent would you give the responsibility for carrying out this vision to the elected Minister of Culture and Education?

In response to Hoar Chall's question first: I believe we need to realize that we cannot expect to start this as a full-blown, everything-for-everybidy project right from the start. I can't speak for why the prior efforts did not succeed; at least in TNP, I'm not sure there's been the will to move the University project forward to match the interest in it.

As to the effort at the Center forum, I've not been in a position until the last few weeks to fully re-engage in NS, so I've not kept up with the effort there. I suspected that it probably wasn't the best environment to push it through.

Freedom of academic thought works best in an environment which is free of undue constraint and restriction. We have that sort of environment here and that is healthy for creating a viable educational process that will permit new players to learn all the different aspect of the NS game on the one hand, and allow most experienced players to learn from one another on the other. But I recognize this has to be a process of growing into a final product, rather than trying to make it all happen at once. Being a feeder, it may well be that having an orientation course for new players available first might make more sense; it may be that some other area might make the best sense as a starting point.

One of the reasons I want a select commission to develop the details of starting a TNP University is because I think we need a road map for this project to follow, and to recommend what specific role the Government and any of the Ministries should play. Because there is some sentiment to merge the Ministry of Culture of Education into the Ministry of Arts and Entertainment, I think we need to parse the role both Ministries have played and should play in the future, and from that decide whether to maintain one or both Ministeries as they are, combine some functions within a new Ministry, or pass on some of the functions of either or both Ministries outside of the Government. At that point, we'll have a much better idea of what role the Minister of Culture and Education should play in the University project.

There have been complaints concerning the speed of trials, focusing on the current procedures used by the Court to empanel juries. I agree with the majority that voted against the wholesale abolition of the jury system. Jury participation is an essential part of the check and balance system that prevents the biased application of the legal system. I am receptive to concrete, incremental proposals to adapt the criminal system based on the experience the Court has sustained. I welcome the imput of the Court, and the next Attorney General, in these discussions, and I will ask the Court for its imput on this issue if I am elected as Prime Minister.

Do you have any plans to encourage a successful solving of this problem? Given that the TNP Criminal court system is a joke in its current state, and you oppose the removal of juries, what do you plan on doing about it/what would you support?

Finally, there has been extended discussion about changes in the Ministries that comprise our Cabinet. While I have not endorsed any particular proposal, I do not favor a widespread change.

Why? Looking at our list of nominations so far, at least half the positions are unopposed. What reason is there to keep such a large Cabinet?

Do you have any plans to encourage a successful solving of this problem? Given that the TNP Criminal court system is a joke in its current state, and you oppose the removal of juries, what do you plan on doing about it/what would you support?

I think there are all sorts of options to address the problem, several of which I mentioned in the RA debate on your proposal, which a voting majority of the RA rejected. I want to see first what can be done to speed up the selection process since that appears to be a major complaint. Part of the problem has been the MIIA problem (its failure to regularly verify continued eligibility for RA membership) since that list is the source list for selecting jurors and grand jurors. We could then look at perhaps summoning a sigificant portion of the jury list at the beginning of each court term and pre-clear them for jury service. We could use term grand juries rather than select a grand jury for each potential impeachment. We could take steps to assure that the parties have their witness testimony recorded in advance and evidence ready so that the jury receives it in a period of a few days and not a few weeks. Some of this was in the Interim Court Rules, others are tweaks that I realize could be used. And none of these ideas preclude other tweaking that could speed up the process and maintain the right to a jury trial.

I think, however, that it is important that the current Court Justices, and those who have served as Attorney General or prosecutors (and even those who have served as defense counsel) offer their insights as to how to speed up juror selection on the one hand and juror service on the other and shorten the time it takes for trial without sacraficing the protections and balances we have in place.

Why? Looking at our list of nominations so far, at least half the positions are unopposed. What reason is there to keep such a large Cabinet?

First of all, there are two days left in the declaration period, Second, you assume that there has to be contested positions for every office without fail. On the list at this moment I see at least four incumbents currently in elective office running this time.

Finally, I believe that four of the six Ministries are not even an issue. Those clearly do not need to be merged or changed. And I have discussed the approach I plan to take to have the RA and the Cabinet review the scope of the other two Ministries, and what, if anything should be changed. And of course that does not include the effect of the proposal for a university in that process.

First of all, there are two days left in the declaration period, Second, you assume that there has to be contested positions for every office without fail. On the list at this moment I see at least four incumbents currently in elective office running this time.
Well, yes, I assume that having contested positions is a major component of having a healthy democracy and an effective government.

Anyway, I suppose simply disagree with many of your other points. Not really much to ask about them, though.

Wow, I am certainly happy to see this. Also that has to be the most thorough and concise platforms I have ever seen.

As for haikus, none of the ones you wrote were about an experience in nature. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Go commit hara-kiri.

As for haikus, none of the ones you wrote were about an experience in nature. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Go commit hara-kiri.
As to my haiku, that was my first attempt.

As to Edie's, yesterday was her birthday after all, I wouldn't dream to criticizing a young lady schnauzer of royal blood on her birthday. If she says that is a haiku, I'm not about to disagree with her. :P :lol: :yes:

I've already asked BW this, so in the interest of fairness:

If there was one thing you could get done as PM, what would it be?

I'm doing this for everyone, but instead of a Haiku, I wish a Cinquain on why I should vote for you. I'm keeping in mind that during this race this has been the first time you've done a Haiku, but the voters need to be pleased :P

Combining the two definitions in the wiki article (something along a 2/a, 4/b, 6/a, 8/b, 2/b framework, this is what I can come up with:

Do vote
Grosseschnauzer
and TNP’s enemies will take note –
TNP will be better and stronger,
and freer!

Without a doubt I support you in this election. If I am elected MoCE I would love to help you in any way possible to build the TNP University, which is a dream of mine as well.

The Constitution requires that anyone appointed to be Deputy Minister of Defense must have first recieved the endorsement of the NPA. (The Constitution speciies that the appointment is technical of a Deputy who then ascends into the full Ministry upon confirmation.)

The NPA needs to continue with its endorsement process, so that whoever is elected as Prime Minister can make a prompt appointment once they take office, and submit the nomination to ratification by the Regional Assembly.

I think it would be inappropriate for me to speculate on who (one or more) the NPA will grant its endorsement(s) to. That was intended to be a non-partisan process, so I don't believe I can comment until the endorsement process is completed for the Deputy MoD.

Can I gauge your opinions on:

1. The purges in The Pacific and NPO.
2. The Feeder Treaty and Feeder relations.
3. RA Security.
4. The Lexicon.
5. Favourite Colour.

Can I gauge your opinions on:

1. The purges in The Pacific and NPO.
2. The Feeder Treaty and Feeder relations.
3. RA Security.
4. The Lexicon.
5. Favourite Colour.
1. In terms of NS gameplay in the feeder regions, such purges are unfortunate and regrettable. But it is up to the natives and citizens of those regions to bring about a change. The use of such devices, IMHO, illustrate the philosophical weakness of those who would rely on such devices.
2. I dealt with this at length in my declaration statement, which I won't repeat. I voted against the specific treaty, I do favor maintaining diplomatic communications and or relations with all feeder regions.
3. That is a vague question, but I assume you are referring to the efforts of the Lexicon to infiltrate the TNP government. Whether it was a matter of chance or good intelligence, may never be known. I've already stated that I will support recommendations from our military and intelligence services to strength our defense and intelligence capacities. We need to deal with the ineffectiveness of the MIIA to address continuous eligibility of RA members and make needed changes as those are identified.
4. The who? Better they are where they are, and we are, where we are, rather than the other way around.
5. Dark purple (it's the background color of the Neu Grosseschnauzer flag) in my avatar. :tb2:

Back