JAL for Prime Minister

I am actually going to write two platforms. The first will be OOC, almost a plea to the region and to the game if you will, and the second will be a traditional IC platform. So here we go.

OOC:

Nationstates is a dying game. Many are quick to blame the mods, and certainly a large share of the blame does sit with them. But as gameplayers, we can take charge and fix our aspect of the game - gameplaying - to the best of our ability. How do we do this?

I look at history to answer this question. ADN vs ACC, the world vs Francos Spain, TRR vs TYW, etc. The list of great Nationstates wars go on and on, but they all share one commonality: they are great wars of the past. Most would agree that NS thrives on conflict, but it is important to note there are two types of conflict: internal (within the region) and external (region vs region). Internally, there has been plenty of conflict. Hell, look at Equilism right now. The West Pacific Triumvirate and Dominion also stand vivid in our recent memories, and also perhaps less recently the North Pacific Directorate. But externally, there has been little to none. The Lexicon was nothing more than a gnat that we crushed in our sleep. So then why why do we need more external conflict if there is already a load of internal conflict happening within the game?

Because internal conflict is often too emotional. When a region is lost to a rogue delegate, many (not myself, but others) view this rogue delegate as a community destroyer. Activity within the region does pick up briefly, but players are often driven away from the game in disgust. A united region is always preferable to a splintered one for this reason.

Not all external conflict is great, either. The Lexicon, for example, was entirely unable to draw the line between IC and OOC. Thankfully we crushed them like a gnat, but still it was a rather unpleasent experience. But the three wars I cited earlier in my platform (ADN vs ACC, the world vs Francos Spain, TRR vs TYW) are all by and large examples of GOOD conflict, where OOC emotions are kept out of the picture. Both sides remain sovereign throughout the conflict; it is nearly impossible for one side to conquer the other. As long as we are mature about it (as opposed to Lex) external conflict can be a great thing.

"So you're saying you're going to pick a fight????"

Yes, I am. Specifically, with the New Pacific Order. There is a reason why activity has been on a steady decline since the fall of the original NPO - and thus the fall of large-scale external conflict. The newly formed PRP went on a quest for improved relations with this region as well as others, I assume for a change of pace. But now the "good cop" PRP is no more; the "bad cop" NPO is back. And for that I am greatful as the Pacific has fulfilled their end of the bargain in making NS a more exciting game. Let's face it, the purges are quite a sight to see on an OOC level.

But I pick a fight with the NPO for two reasons: 1) They, particularly Ivan, are experts at drawing the line between IC and OOC. Generally they are some of the best players in the game and quite a joy to oppose. 2.) They give us lots of IC material to use against them. That will become clearer in my IC platform, so without further ado...

IC:

Over the months since the fall of the North Pacific Directorate and its poorly-named successor ("North Pacific Government), our region has blossomed into a world hyperpower. I would even go as far to say that we are THE premier region in the game. I am not as familiar with the NPA as I'd like to be as I prefer to keep my UN within this region, but it is my opinion that politically we are the most powerful region in this game. Although I am not convinced that the concept of "unified feeders" will ever work with the variety of idealogies we have amongst the feeders, the mere fact that we were able to organize such a summit and have every feeder attend and contribute is a testament to our global influence. We are a sleeping giant that is ready to awaken, to do its part to make our world a better place. And that is the focal point of my platform.

Tyrants run the NS earth, more in power than ever before. Invaders run freely and carelessly under the new influence rules. The defender organizations of the past are now, sadly, in a process of decay into inactivity that may or may not be turned around. More troubling, the New Pacific Order has risen again under TNP's old foe, Ivan Moldavi. This rogue regime needs to be checked, and I use rogue with great care. Not only are they are out of touch with us, but also with many, many other democratic regions throughout the world. Coup and coup again, whether in TNP, TWP, or Equilism, the same Pacifican suspects are there supporting the new totalitarian regime. Thousands of nations are being purged from the Pacific and dissenters silenced. The spread of tyranny is a worrying one that should concern this region greatly. It is time we hit this virus head on. We must contain it at all costs, or it is inevitable we will lose our own region to totalitarian ideology yet again. We've accomplished too much for that.

To that effect, I will use all the tools at my disposal as Prime Minister to fight and contain the "filthy theology" of the NPO. We need to broadcast ourselves as a democratic alternative. This means working alongside the elected Minister of Communications to expand the Wire to regions throughout Nationstates. Chaucerin of Equilism incorrectly stated "the only feeder that matters is the Pacific." Naturally I object to that statement entirely, but broadcasting our news service throughout the world should help conquer such misconceptions.

We need to stand by our close friends in the West Pacific. Recently, the government of the West has condemned the mass purges currently taking place in the Pacific, sparking some conflict between the two feeders. Standing by our longtime, democratic friends in the West is really the only viable option as I see it, and this means a statement of support of TWP's policy, if not an official treaty of alliance.

Internally, we need active ministries. Over the past several terms, we've had productive ministries and less productive ones. As Prime Minister, there is only so much I can do, but I guarantee you I will do everything I can to keep the ministries running. It's about damned time we form a University. The University will be a priority of mine, and I sincerely hope it is a priority of the next MoC&E as well.

And finally...

OOC conclusion:

There is a story behind my silly avatar. It's largely irrelivent, but the jist is that I promised someone that I'd make this my avatar and keep it that way permanently. That was probably... three or so months ago, and the avatar stays to this day. The point is that I don't break promises, and I am promising you now that I abide by this platform. So please do not cast a vote for me lightly; I'm not easily offended and would rather not get a vote at all than a vote from someone who does not agree with my platform. Essentially, no "I'm voting JAL because he's not Candidate X" please. I do plan to take a majority vote as a mandate to do some major ass kickin' - of both the NPO and inactive ministers.

Some (well ok, everyone) know me as being a bit (well ok, a lot) silly, and that isn't going to change. Likely I'll issue statements from the Prime Minister's desk in support of Mocha Frappuchinos and Led Zeppelin. It's just a quirk people get to know and love or hate :P

I am very aware that I am taking a huge risk by admitting my OOC motivations behind my IC actions, but this game needs more risk-takers. Let's have some fun again!

Questions?

No, I would definitely NOT consider a rogue delegate. Fought against the WPD, WPT, am currently displeased at Imperial Equilism, etc.

And yes, dead serious.

I will not support you if you plan war against the NPO.

I do however have a few questions.
  • What other regions are you currently involved in?
    If there are others, what positions do you hold there?
    What have you done for The North Pacific?
    What experience do you have?
Thanks.

Why should we trust you?

I think, given my history, you can trust that I'd carry out this platform moreso than if I was running on the typical "we're doing everything well, I'd just slightly modify X Y and Z" status quo campaign.

What other regions are you currently involved in?
My only other region at the moment is Lemuria. I just post there for the OOC stuff. I'm also masked as a global moderator at Nasicournia and for Intelligence at the ADN although I don't do any work for either, and let my Nasicournian nations expire months ago.

If there are others, what positions do you hold there?
I don't have any positions other than that of an RA member in TNP.

What have you done for The North Pacific?
During my term as Minister of Communications, I assisted in the revival of the North Pacific Wire, mass-telegrammed the region's UNs twice, and otherwise tried to be of assistance during our little spat with the Lexicon.

What experience do you have?
I'll list all my former positions to answer this question:
High Judge of the Pacific (March - June 2005)
PRP Militia Lieutenant (April - June 2005)
NasiCorps Elite (June 2005 - June 2006)
West Pacific Liberation Force (July - Oct 2005)
Alliance Defense Network News Network Director (Oct - Nov 2005)
Gateway to Nasicournia Delegate (Feb - June 2006)
Central Defense Army Secretary of State (April - June 2006)
TNP Minister of Communications (June - August 2006)

Hope these answers are satisfactory.

Well, to be honest, I don't agree with you but what you've proposed is a strong direction, a creative purpose that I quite frankly have never seen before. I'd never vote for you but I wish you a good campaign as you are quite the worthy challenger.

OoC: <3, you read my mind, you silly Montanan who isn't in Montana

IC:

Are you aware that the Prime Minister doesn't really have any practical power, but is more of a cheerleader/supervisor role in the cabinet? Do you believe that the rest of the cabinet would be willing to throw themselves behind your "platform" as much you undoubtedly will (and I have no doubt about your committment to this)?

After a cursory look over the TWP forums, and a recollection of their recent(ish?) history (WPT, Eli's shindig, return to democracy etc), I came to the conclusion that they're a bunch of stuffy gits. While I'm all for going after the NPO, I'm not so big on "cooperating" with TWP.

What would you do with the current Feeder Summit thingermajig?

Edit: Another one. What are your thoughts on the Constitution? Fine as is, needs to be revised through amendment, or should we call a Convention to rewrite it entirely? Or something else?

OoC: <3, you read my mind, you silly Montanan who isn't in Montana

IC:

Are you aware that the Prime Minister doesn't really have any practical power, but is more of a cheerleader/supervisor role in the cabinet? Do you believe that the rest of the cabinet would be willing to throw themselves behind your "platform" as much you undoubtedly will (and I have no doubt about your committment to this)?

After a cursory look over the TWP forums, and a recollection of their recent(ish?) history (WPT, Eli's shindig, return to democracy etc), I came to the conclusion that they're a bunch of stuffy gits. While I'm all for going after the NPO, I'm not so big on "cooperating" with TWP.

What would you do with the current Feeder Summit thingermajig?

Edit: Another one. What are your thoughts on the Constitution? Fine as is, needs to be revised through amendment, or should we call a Convention to rewrite it entirely? Or something else?
Thankies for the complements, my homies :P

For the record, I'm going to answer Heft's question IC, which should be considered the default from now on. Exception being some OOC observations about TWP.

Yes, it's true that the PM doesn't have much practical power at all. That was really my only hesitation in running for this position, but I decided to do it anyway. The reason is simple - the Prime Minister position comes with a certain amount of political capitol due to the mandate being elected by the citizenry gives. Especially in my case, when the primary reason to vote for me is if one supports my visions of conflict. I would, of course, be willing to compromise to an extent with cabinet ministers to get the job done, but if there are one or two who entirely attempt to derail my vision (really the only one capable of doing this would be the MoEA, I think) I would probably go back to the people and seek a Constitutional Amendment giving the Prime Minister more power over the ministry. Again, I would attempt diplomacy with the minister in question first, but God knows I am not afraid of a political battle should it come to that :P There is a lot of symbolic influence held by the Prime Minister, so I think most if not all should be willing to work with me if elected.

Some in TWP, and many others on "my side" (pro-democracy, anti-NPO, etc) tend to come off as moralizers, or maybe a bit stuffy. That's because playing NS from that angle involves holding views that often parallel those that most sane people have IRL. So they often come off as mixing too much IC with OOC, but I think that's unintentional. If they were to clarify every post with an OOC section, like the one in my platform, TWP might seem less stuffy, perhaps. But most people (including myself) don't bother with an OOC section in every post, as this is a game and thus inherently IC. TWP seems to be identifying itself with a clear IC anti-NPO element, and being a feeder, I think they'd be a good fit with a JAL-led TNP.

I would not support signing the document at all. In fact, I would go as far to say that anyone considering voting for me should also consider voting Nay for that agreement. My main reason is that it puts us too close to the NPO at the West's expense. TWP didn't sign the document, and for good reason - the Ordo Hereticus should be taken as an affront to freedom-loving nations everywhere. By signing the document, I feel we choose the NPO and their infamous purges over TWP, our longtime allies and like-minded democrats (I'm not talking about the American political party :ill: )

I've tossed around the idea of a ConCom. If executed correctly, it could be a good idea. It's just that I have a strong preference towards external conflict with the NPO, and I don't think we can do both over the course of a term. So I picked the second :P

That said, I mentioned earlier that I may decide to push for more Prime Minister constitutional powers via amendment, depending on how the term goes. I'd also support amendments that trim down the verbosity of the Constitution.

And BW, I spent about a half hour on it. I write quickly; people on IRC may have noticed that I can crank out a seven page paper in an hour and a half :P

Yes, it's true that the PM doesn't have much practical power at all.  That was really my only hesitation in running for this position, but I decided to do it anyway.  The reason is simple - the Prime Minister position comes with a certain amount of political capitol due to the mandate being elected by the citizenry gives.  Especially in my case, when the primary reason to vote for me is if one supports my visions of conflict.  I would, of course, be willing to compromise to an extent with cabinet ministers to get the job done, but if there are one or two who entirely attempt to derail my vision (really the only one capable of doing this would be the MoEA, I think) I would probably go back to the people and seek a Constitutional Amendment giving the Prime Minister more power over the ministry.  Again, I would attempt diplomacy with the minister in question first, but God knows I am not afraid of a political battle should it come to that :P  There is a lot of symbolic influence held by the Prime Minister, so I think most if not all should be willing to work with me if elected.

That is interesting. Out of interest, if you believe the PM position should have more power, why have you not suggested anything in the RA before? I must admit to having little trust in someone who wants to expand the powers of the position they are running for, especially when you don't outline any specifics.

I would not support signing the document at all.  In fact, I would go as far to say that anyone considering voting for me should also consider voting Nay for that agreement.  My main reason is that it puts us too close to the NPO at the West's expense.  TWP didn't sign the document, and for good reason - the Ordo Hereticus should be taken as an affront to freedom-loving nations everywhere.  By signing the document, I feel we choose the NPO and their infamous purges over TWP, our longtime allies and like-minded democrats (I'm not talking about the American political party :ill: )

As I said in the treaty discussion thread, it was a question of chosing TSP, TEP and Lazarus over TWP.

I've tossed around the idea of a ConCom.  If executed correctly, it could be a good idea.  It's just that I have a strong preference towards external conflict with the NPO, and I don't think we can do both over the course of a term.  So I picked the second :P

A ConCom would probably be of more benefit for the region than an external war.

Although I am not convinced that the concept of "unified feeders" will ever work with the variety of idealogies we have amongst the feeders, the mere fact that we were able to organize such a summit and have every feeder attend and contribute is a testament to our global influence.  We are a sleeping giant that is ready to awaken, to do its part to make our world a better place.  And that is the focal point of my platform.

Your campaign would destroy all that though.

Returning to the trust issue, which I don't feel you answered satisfactorily, if we did end up in a war with the NPO then how, given your history, can we trust you not to sell us out to the Pacific?

On a general point about your "conflict" idea. It suffers from the same flaw as Ivan's ejection spree, it's artificial, fake, a pretend war. The historic wars you mention, here in TNP and ADN/ACC, Franco, etc were real, fought for genuine reasons. That is why they worked, why they created activity within the game. A war organised simply to try to boost activity will fail as miseribly as both the attempts at controversy in The Pacific and Equilism.

I'd much rather something genuinely new, something which would actually stir up some activity. On the domestic front, that would be a ConCom. In interregional affairs, I think some sort of "imperialist" type policy could work, the Constitution already has provisions for the creation of 'commonwealth' type regions. I know that some of the old 'fendas don't like that, although I imagine they'll support your "war" but their hypocrisy is nothing new.

I have not proposed giving the Prime Minister more powers simply because I had figured if the Prime Minister wanted them, he'd go after them himself. No need to force any powers he doesn't want on him, is there?

To be technical, it's choosing TEP, TSP, Laz, and the NPO over TWP. Except that TEP, TSP, and Laz aren't likely to get into any conflicts, whereas TWP and the NPO are more likely given their interventionist foreign policies. So really, it does boil down to TWP and the NPO, in my opinion. As for the ConCom, I would ask TWP about that. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion and future telling, I'll admit.

I fail to see any reason why I would sell out this region to the Pacific. I have been nothing but consistent in my opposition to the various regimes controlling the region for 16 months now. I did breach that consistency once and only once - when I found that Helveticklande intended to ask Cathyy to endoswap for the delegacy in the Pacific. But that was Cathyy, somebody I don't like on an OOC level. So really, let's look at the three groups I betrayed in my time in NS:

The PRP/NPO. And I'm running on an anti-NPO platform. So no problems here, really.

Glenon's Empire of Seven Hills. The goal of this group was to take over all five feeders at once. So I spied on them and "sold out" Glenon.

Helvetiklande. Already explained.

The thing about the conflict I am proposing is that I do have IC reasons for doing it, as laid out in my platform. On an OOC level, if anyone did not find a war (any war, not just the one I am proposing) to be fun, I'd hope they'd stop fighting it. In fact, I'd hope that every decision that every player makes is a decision that would make the game more fun, either for himself or the game as a whole.

Do you really want TNP to overthrow the Delegate of the Pacific?

What would you do if our Delegate got overthrown by the NPO?

Why should the rest of the region be interested in war?

I would love to overthrow the delegate of the Pacific. However, this is nearly impossible given the game mechanics, especially under the new influence rules. There are ways to oppose them without physically moving the NPA into their region, of course.

One way the NPO takes our delegacy is if they insert a plant into our government and that plant is elected to the delegacy. I think our electorate is smart enough not to elect another player running on a Brown is best platform (UPS Rail reference for the newbs :P). There is another way, of course, and that is we elect an NPO-sympathetic delegate who also happens to be a bit wacko in the head (Cathyy reference, obviously). However, once again, I feel the voters here have a very good track record as far as delegate elections are concerned and I don't forsee that as a problem in the future. In any case, I would also like to point out that in the Pixiedance situation, we were actually in negotiations with the PRP at the time, yet a Senator of theirs overthrew TNP's government anyway.

If by the off chance they do grab our delegacy, we'd likely organize a third GiE and go through the motions once again. Tyranny has lost in every situation except one - the Pacific itself, so I'd be confident about our chances. But I don't feel a war with the NPO would have any effect on their thirst for expansion, quite frankly. So it's very tangential in my opinion.

The rest of the region should be interested in war for the IC and OOC reasons I presented in my platform :P I am counting on a majority of the voters coming to the same conclusions to which I have come.

If winning the war is "near impossible", isn't this just a scam for activity?

Do you have any plans for winning the war?

Do you have plans for the off chance we did win the war, what to do after?

There are other ways of winning the war other than physically overthrowing their delegacy. Stopping their outsourcing of tyranny is one such way.

If and when this war ends, we would have to take a look at our activity levels and make judgement then. I think a large-scale war would be enough to revitalize the entire game and bring in enough players to keep the game active after said war is finished, however.

Interesting platform, but why get into a war with a region that isn't a threat to us?

I've been known to be a stickler for maintaining stability and the status quo even unto the point of being accused of being a 'Francoist' for democracy, but picking a fight with a large region for ideological differences when they have no apparent designs upon us does nothing to promote stability or democracy.

We have a very stable democracy that Ivan said would never last due to his essential conclusion that democracy is inefficient and weak by nature. There are plenty of ways to liven up the game without introducing chaos into the mix. Why upset the apple-cart by such actions with such unpredictable results?

BTW, Good to see you in the race for PM!

R

How do you propose to attack NPO given that NPA is specifically a Defender army and darn proud of it....

Do you realise how many troops you would alienate by suggesting a war of attack(ostensibly changing the NPA into a Vader force).....

Lt.Gen.Daimaiena....DMoD

Alright... it's becoming clear I am not going to win this election, especially with Gross in the race now.

But, I hope I've at least gotten everyone to think about the state of the game. I'm not going to say a bunch of BS about how that was my ultimate goal - my goal was to win, but I think it would be wise for me to drop out at this point. I am going to be running for MoCE, so I'll post a platform for that shortly.

Good luck to both Gross and Blue Wolf.

And just for the record, I don't believe I ever mentioned anything about moving the NPA into the Pacific :P

It's been fun answering everyone's questions.

Back