At Vote:Repeal "Definition of Marriage" [Complete]

Repeal "Definition of Marriage"

A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal

Resolution: #81

Proposed by: Sir Ernest Shackleton

Description: UN Resolution #81: Definition of Marriage (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: This resolution goes too far. It mandates what a constitutes a "marriage" with no respect for a nation's religious beliefs, or societal structure.

The last line is also disturbing: "FURTHER RECOGNIZES all nation's right to expand this definition beyond species borders as the individual governments see fit."

This is an endorsement of beastiality, and it should have no business being in the UN. Therefore, we shall hereby strike "Definition of Marriage," knowing that the individual nations know best what is a marriage and what isn't.

Voting Ends: Wed Aug 30 2006

Vote via TG: 5/2

Vote below (as of edit): 0/11

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

Here is the text of Resolution 81, in case anyone is interested:

IN VIEW of the Universal Bill of Human Rights, and the Gay Rights resolution;

The UN HEREBY :

DEFINES marriage as the civil joining of a member of any nation with any other member of any nation, regardless of sex, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, color, or any other characteristic, with the exception of age;

RECOGNIZES age of the individual(s) as a just reason for not recognizing marriage, as per Article One of the Child Protection Act;

FURTHER RECOGNIZES all nation's right to expand this definition beyond species borders as the individual governments see fit.

Votes For: 11,904
Votes Against: 7,473

Implemented: Thu Nov 25 2004

Ermarian, once again, casts NAY.

We've seen this resolution attacked time and time again, and it has thankfully always stood firm.

The author desperately tries to put a legitimate reason on the repeal (finally succeeding in setting up a "beastiality" strawman), but the true motivation is quite clear: "Religion" and "societal structure" (in other words, conservative tradition) of the nation must be allowed to dictate what rights individuals of the nation enjoy, and what not. It boils down to the conflict of national sovereignty vs. codified ethics of the international community - the universal attack that works on any UN resolution from Emission Control to Abolition of Slavery.

Ironically, the strawman aims for the one line of the resolution that actually does endorse national sovereignty. I quote,

FURTHER RECOGNIZES all nation's right to expand this definition beyond species borders as the individual governments see fit.

To which the author replies:

knowing that the individual nations know best what is a marriage and what isn't.

The only conclusion is this: On one hand, the author demands the sovereignty for a nation to discriminate against its homosexual citizens; on the other, he denies them the sovereignty to endorse beastiality. Since the author is clearly following his own specific set of morals that mandate this ("Homosexuality and Beastiality are WRONG"), why does he not explicitly state these morals in the repeal for all to see and vote upon? Hiding behind vague mutterings about national sovereignty is disingenuous to say the least.

Edit: Grew rather longer than I anticipated. Oh well, apparently it is not against the rules to debate in the UN voting threads.

Nay indeed.

How the devil did such a shitty resolution even get quorum?

---

BEING disgusted by this resolution

RECOGNIZING Emarian's extremely valid points

CONCURRING with his analysis.

Asiatic states votes nay.

*not a UN member in TNP, tempted*

Erm, that is a load of bologne.
The author desperately tries to put a legitimate reason on the repeal (finally succeeding in setting up a "beastiality" strawman), but the true motivation is quite clear: "Religion" and "societal structure" (in other words, conservative tradition) of the nation must be allowed to dictate what rights individuals of the nation enjoy, and what not. It boils down to the conflict of national sovereignty vs. codified ethics of the international community - the universal attack that works on any UN resolution from Emission Control to Abolition of Slavery.
You are simulataneously taking two routes. One) Bestiality is obviously not good (or at least imply reasonability of disliking it). Two) People are trying to pass this based on a value system. Well, Erm, you just established that. Bestiality is part of a value system, which to you is at least ok to disallow/ban at least within a marriage arean, but to other people there are values beyond this. To establish a source of more unanimous dislike, it spreads the idea of sovereignty more universally. Most TNPers would likely not be as supportive of a pro-bestiality marriage amendment, so they can possibly comprehend further ability to define a system of ethics and values within their nation. Are you implying that if someone has a more refined sense of ethics that they should be banned from speaking up? Should any minority opinion in the UN have to write in the clearest and most unpopular language their legislation to ensure it fails? The UN is for everybody, love it or leave it.

Ironically, the strawman aims for the one line of the resolution that actually does endorse national sovereignty. I quote,

To which the author replies:

knowing that the individual nations know best what is a marriage and what isn't.

The only conclusion is this: On one hand, the author demands the sovereignty for a nation to discriminate against its homosexual citizens; on the other, he denies them the sovereignty to endorse beastiality. Since the author is clearly following his own specific set of morals that mandate this ("Homosexuality and Beastiality are WRONG"), why does he not explicitly state these morals in the repeal for all to see and vote upon? Hiding behind vague mutterings about national sovereignty is disingenuous to say the least.
Uh? First off I can write a resolution that allows a nation to support penus pumps even though there is no resolution stoppping it nor any resolution that would hinder that. The bestiality marriage is only discussed in this resolution. It is obviously the "right" of the nation even if this was repealed. The only thing that is not a "right" b/c of it is the ability to make a resolution opposing bestiality marriage. There is absolutely no grounds b/c of the DoM res. to establish any ban of marriage from two tangible objects even if for some reason it would be wise to decide such object. Thus the point is not that it forces people to have bestiality marriage, but it protects it as a right just as with the other parts of the resolution. Perhaps every TNP member could imagine something they aren't fond of and thus understand that a person within body they are in has issue with it passing resolutions against its core beliefs. I mean geez. Just b/c you take Intro to Logic doesn't mean you can start throwing around phrases to scare people from disagreeing with you.
Finally on the bold, Erm, welcome to international diplomacy. Shall every resolution have the inner secrets of its writer. Should the pot ones have that the person wants to smoke it, or the ones repealing the pedophilae one about their problem. Heck no, I'd rather only face issues on meritious points not between the line analysis by even such respectable and fine people as yourself, Erm.

Might continue later.
I am not huge fan of the repeal's language, but I think the resolution should be repealed. If I could, I'd support it.

Edit: Grew rather longer than I anticipated. Oh well, apparently it is not against the rules to debate in the UN voting threads.
No just the custom to bow down to the first person who uses a logic term. A modus ponens, and bam you got'em by the balls.

So far as I can see, the last point of the original Resolution is only marginally material. It technically would prevent another resolution coming through the UN specifically banning interspecies or extraspecies marriage (Unterwasserseestaat reserves the right to marry two sentient dolphins who have both accepted Someone as their personal Savior). Perhaps the author is trying to clear the road for such a resolution, but he isn't denying them this sovereignty yet. He's just saying he thinks it's yucky.

More material is the point:
This resolution goes too far. It mandates what a constitutes a "marriage" with no respect for a nation's religious beliefs, or societal structure.
I might be personally troubled if I'm interested in experimenting with a society with child-rearing collectives of 5-8 people. What about a civil partnership of two like-minded couples? Should we try to clear this and make an even more liberal amendment?

I personally feel that #81 should stand as part of our system of international ethics. Liking it or not comes down to personal viewpoints, which is an entirely understandable motivation for action.

I'm certainly glad the North Pacific is about to vote against this repeal. :)

I have had telegram conversations with several nations that consider the removal of 'Definition of Marriage' more overbearing than having the abysmal repeal forever in the list of passed resolutions. I feel such an approach is not necessary for what I regard as a relatively mild resolution, and would sympathise more if the resolution was more harmful. What do you guys think?

Certainly a case where the cure is far worse than the disease.

Against.

With a total vote of 5 for, 13 against I voted AGAINST the repeal of "Definition of Marriage".

Despite this, the resolution Repeal "Definition of Marriage" was passed 8,776 votes to 5,767.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back