At Vote: Hearing Impaired Aid Act [Complete]

Hearing Impaired Aid Act
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: We can not hear you

Description: Overview: The minority group of those with life-long hearing impairments often goes unnoticed in society. Since this group of people are frequently the most active, publicly, of any of the sensory disabled peoples (eg. People who are blind or mute) the governments of the United Nations Members should take actions to help them.

Mandates:

The Hearing Impaired Aid Act requires that all nations provide the following services/ accommodations to its hearing impair population within 5 years of this Acts passing.

1.) For the population currently attending Public/ Private Schools or colleges.
A.) A skilled interpreter must be provided for students that suffer from a profound hearing loss that amplification cannot help in through the use of auditory amplification devices (eg, microphones in conjunction with hearing aids).
B.) Auditory amplification devices must be provided to students suffering from a hearing loss that would benefit from the use of auditory amplification devices. Also, if needed, an interpreter may be used in conjunction for the more severe loss in this category.
C.) Also schools/ colleges must provide written copies of notes/ announcements to students at their request.
2.) For public Buildings:
A.) All libraries, museums, theaters, malls, or any other large place of public gather must support use of special amplification technology for hearing aids.
B.) If not already done, emergency systems such as fire alarms must use some sort of visual alarm system for people with these hearing impairments.

3.) Health Care:
A.) For those not able to afford hearing aids, ear or hearing assisted surgeries, and medical appointments, the government must provide these people with some or all of the money required to receive these services.
B.) Every hospital must have an audiologist on staff for availability of these patients.

After word: Everyone, including the disabled needs a chance for a good life in society. Do not leave those who can not hear.

Voting Ends: Tue Aug 15 2006

^ this is the current UN resolution up for debate, so debate away!

I'll be keeping a tally of votes in this thread, via PM and via TG. If you haven't voted before, give a shout out to your UN Nation.

edit: silly mod controls...

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

I think I made my views clear in the NS forums;

For simple reasons of NatSov and practicality....no.

**DISCLAIMER: I ain't got no UN nation in da TNP**

That's an awful lot of resources that this resolution is asking countries to provide. A firm NO for impracticality. Sign language exists for a reason, y'know...

This resolution is a little too specific for my tastes. Seems to me, if we pass this one, we open the flood gates for the Seeing Impaired Act, the Speech Impaired Act, the Dance Floor Impaired Act, etc.

A broader disability resolution is more likely to garner my support and actually fulfill the sentiment of the proposal's second last sentence ("Everyone, including the disabled needs a chance for a good life in society.").

Against

Against.

We already have a resolution covering all disabilities; this resolution is just focusing one particular group to an unnecessary extreme, ignoring all aspects of usefulness and cost.

I may be new here, but I agree that this resolution would put an unfair burden on many smaller nations, like myself.

AGAINST

For the reasons cited above. Also, the UN really ought not be able to tell a private school what its staffing requirements must be. That just goes too far, even for a worthy cause.

Aye-aye-aye. Sometimes you have to be specific so that people may actually get the message. besides if Dance Floor impaired comes up, we can vote it down, though i may vote for that as well...

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back