-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
Voting ends Monday the 19th, get your votes in on this security proposal.

RFID in new Weapons
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.
Category: International Security
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Love and esterel

Description: The United Nations,

-A- Convinced that improved and efficient traceability contributes to decrease illegal arms sales worldwide,

-B- Affirming that, because of their destruction potential, the right to own weapons and its related privacy shall go along with some duties, as good conduct commitment and respect of dangerous products traceability,

-C- Desiring to help judicial process over nationals and international criminality by more accurate, faster and cost saving tracing processes,

-D- Defining a Radio Frequency Identification tag (“RFID tag”) as a generally very small electronic chip storing information about the item to which it is tagged, with an antenna which can receive and respond to radio-frequency queries from a reader - a passive RFID tag doesn't have its own power source and then doesn't send information without being requested,

-E- Fully aware of the very low cost of RFID tags:

-1- Urges members to legislate that a passive and read-only “RFID tag” with encrypted information (electronic product code, serial number, manufacturer and manufactured year) and read range inferior to 10cm, to be including in most new firearms built, along with most explosive weapons, incendiary weapons and others weapons widely considered heavier;

-2- Urges members to inform weapon’s holder of the presence of the tag, at the time of the purchase, and of the presence or the use of any reader;

-3- Urges members to maintain a secured and encrypted electronic database including electronic product code and owner information for any new weapon sold;

-4- Urges members to not provide that information to entity other than accredited national administrations in justice or law enforcement departments or other nations’ government, and to allow access to the database only by court order or reasonable and publicly established national procedures;

-5- Urges members to prohibit most arms imports and exports without “RFID tag” embedded;

-6- Urges members to cooperate with other nations in order to provide related information, when significant national security matters are not at stake;

-7- Encourages members to share related RFID and computers technology with nations having not yet access to it.

Co-authored by Biotopia

*Ator People votes Against. My UN nation name is currently secret until this NPA operation is over. PM me for more information.

AlHoma votes against this resolution. This resolution does not specify how the readers are intended to be used/deployed/etc.

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

EDIT: Some days... you forget everything. <_<

I too am not entirely sure of what actual puropse this is trying to get at. If the read range is that small it really only helps armies tell how many grenades etc. they have, not who bought the gun a sniper is using. Also, most of this sort of stuff is stored in metal boxes, which radio waves don't penetrate.

My knowledge of Faraday Cages goes AGAINST this resolution.

Since I don't actually have a nation in your region, I won't vote.

But I will point out that this resolution would lessen the rights of individual nations regarding gun rights and control.

I suppose the writer of this proposal believes that the technology would decrease the possibility to smuggle guns through sea- and airports, and unveil hidden weapons in public areas like malls. That assumption is partly false, because an RFID receiver's ability to read information from a tag can be easily prevented with, for example, a metal casket (like a sea container or a special holster). Not to mention that suggested 10 cm reading range is insufficient for safety purposes.

While the writer remembers to mention low prices of the tags, the proposal does not say a word about other necessary costs in this kind of project. The system needs transceivers to read the tags, hardware and software to handle the ID data, a data network to transmit the data, personnel to install and maintain the readers and so on.

To sum my view, I'll say that the proposal suggests use of certain technology to do something that can't be done with such technology, without revealing the true cost of the project.

With Lichtenau-Holtheim, I vote AGAINST.

I had failed to see the reasoning behind voting against such legislation, until I noticed several key points people had made. I myself feel more debate is needed until I can decide.

The several points I felt people had noticed which I saw needed discussion where:

There is not a stated method for the distribution of the new technology but I beleive it is understood that this would be developed after said legislation is passed.

I do agree that the signals sent from the readers might not penetrate evertything, although I fail to see how we can just assume so if the technology has not been developed yet. Perhaps there is a method to bounce the signals, or send the signals through metals.

I do feel it is possible that since some illgal arms syndicates begin in the factories, it can also begin in the militaries. I do feel giving the military a means to keep track of their weapons stock in a more strict sense will help, a more direct route would be to press harder on the syndacites themselves.

I would however vote FOR on the grounds that I feel this resolution is a good means of attacking the problem.

That bothersome nation continues to make useless, ignorable and ineffective legislation? Why the UN done nothing to curb the internationalist, expensive, and thouroughly useless resolutions that my nation tends to ignore as it either fails to apply to or violates tradition and charter to extremes, I absolutely fail to understand.

This resolution will have no effect on my nation:

A) We lack RFID technology.
B) Radio-wave based technology and it's resultant electromagnetic pollution are banned within our borders, to the point of our airspace being a radio deadzone, with thanks to Daiokuran technology.
C) There is little demand for the only legal weapons within our nation, melee.
D) The Murgo do not have, nor wish to develop ever, any radio, laser or nuclear based weapons due to the elecromagnetic and particulate emissions of these weapons.

Again, another useless resolution on the side of governments without sense, from a government without any to begin with.

*I am not a member of the NP*

I feel this resolution is discussing a matter that while possibly beneficial in a international treaty (where every member agrees to regulations and laws) setting is of no place in the UN.

Many nations including mine have never discussed so called RFIDs and would rather choose to decide on said topic ourselves with proper research etc. Many like to make resolutions with topcis that few are aware of to try to pass it over the UN's head. While it is possible that I should know what they are referring to (other than what they wrote) :shifty: , I don't know if they are necessarily giving a fair view of the topic.

I strongly urge FEC to follow the consensus of this thread and vote AGAINST this resolution.

'I feel this resolution is discussing a matter that while possibly beneficial in a international treaty (where every member agrees to regulations and laws) setting is of no place in the UN.'
I apologize for breaking the chain, except I must ask what I beleive may be a simple minded question, but if the UN is not a place for deciding legislation that is for every member to vote on to regulations and laws which they agree to when passed, then where is that place?

I do agree that this attempt at a law is something that is more easily passed in one Nation or even more accepted in one Region, and that to ask every member of the UN is quite frankly asking a little much.

There is only the right time for such legislation and I don't think this is the right time nor that there will ever be a right time for this legislation.

I was trying to say I was only leaning towards for, and that I actually vote AGAINST, and that's my final vote AGAINST.

Although I do feel I should make the point that if we were to vote for, we would all at that point be making this technology so, for no nation would it be illegal and any way for this technology to work would be made available to every nation affected by the legislation. Also, I should correct my statement about the militaries... I meant militants.

Also, this legislation states that it's purpose is to increase budgets, but it is not guided that direction at all. All I feel it asks for is to create technology to put the press on illegal arms dealers and that's what it should have asked for in the first place.

I will let my vote stand at that, AGAINST. I have nothing left to say on the subject.

Against

Edit: People already file the serial number off of their guns (ineffective against forensic SCIENCE!) what is to stop them from doing the same with an RFID if they wanted to?

And I was going to say that there are already tracking and identification systems in place all over the world. Then I realized that was in the real world and these people were recycling it into the game which is why I hate the UN. (In game)

Have to reply this:

I do agree that the signals sent from the readers might not penetrate evertything, although I fail to see how we can just assume so if the technology has not been developed yet. Perhaps there is a method to bounce the signals, or send the signals through metals.

RFID technology is not a sci-fi tech that has not been invented yet. It is as it is said, Radio Frequency Identification. These little tags and their readers have been used for years for various purposes, for example in retail instead of barcodes. Because the technology is based on use of electromagnetic radiation, its functionality may be reduced with obstacles forming a Faraday cage (around the tag, in my examples). No shortcuts there.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back