The Ministry of Finance

I propose that a Ministry of Finance or Economics or something like that be n charge of the regional economy. All in favor, post either "in favor" "for" "aye" or :agree:

All against post either "against" "no" "not in favor" or :fish:

This would create a new cabinet member (yes?) and would probably, either way, have to go through the Regional Assembly.

This would require a constitutional amendment. One that isn't overly likely to be passed, seeing as we have a rather large government already.

Moved to Preliminary Discussions.

Also it's the Speakers job to call votes. It's our jobs to push, prod, and grandstand... in other words; keep up the good job!

But if an informal vote is underway... NO.

The economy in no way needs to be regulated by those from the political sphere. I trust Hers with my money!

The Banking system is still a work in progress. No one can be sure that it will be deemed to have become a "permanent" feature of TNP gameplay. Until that time, in my opinion, such a proposal is premature.

What would this finance minister do?

* Take the money for Minister of Communications Advertisements
* Distribute "salaries" (possibly)
* Make appropriate changes in "Administer Panel" to adjust the money of different players as necessicated by "Virtual Stock Exchange" and "MoCom Announcements"

I'm sorry, but I think that this would be bloat on the side of the government. I'm perfectly ok with the current administrators doing the changes. The newly minted minister would have very little, if at all, to do.

Since any MoF would need admin powers to correctly and feasably control the system anyway, I'd have to vote no. Leave this to the admins that created this work for themselves. :lol:

I say yes; personally, I still have plans for a NationStates University (NSU), perhaps with its leading faculty members (including myself) from the North Pacific. In order to do this, a union of feeders to establish conversion rates between regional currencies and allowing for payment, etc., would be needed. So the sooner there's an independent sector of TNP government devoted to financing the region, the better the situation.

You see, it's more fun if you have a boundary of theoretical money within which to work, because you can also create even more activity and provide another attraction for new members (a stock market could be added also, with each nation having the option of creating its own company).

I have tons and tons of ideas about what a Minister of Finance could do independently.

Since any MoF would need admin powers to correctly and feasably control the system anyway, I'd have to vote no. Leave this to the admins that created this work for themselves. :lol:
A very good point.

According to the constitution, anyone who has been in the region, active on the forums, and an RA member for at least a month (maybe less) can run for office. With the annoying way we usually end up with uncontested elections (something which would only be more pronounced by adding offices), it's extremely possible a complete unknown could get elected to the post, complete with a whole load of admin powers. They won't be able to delete the forum, but they sure as heck can tear it up beyond repair if they were so inclined. I can only limit their powers to a certain point, but that point won't be ebough to save us in the event someone abuses their post.

This would be an extreme risk to our forum's security, too much to put to chance. And if we chose not to allow the MoF (that abbreviation is awfully close to being very offensive, you know...) to gain admin powers, their office will be completely useless.

If doesn't tickle your city-slicker fancies, so help me:

Just like the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs, the MoF wouldn't have to be an admin. Hersfold said he signed up for the campaign because it would be easier because he is an admin. It is required.

Also, it would probably be the Minister of Finance who sells ads. Or, as a free market, it would be the Minister of Communications. Or, as a third option, it could be partnered.

We have a minister for all but one forum on this site. How would one more minister hurt?

1. Yes the MoF could not be a admin, however this means that the admins are going to be under a PM storm for "balance adjustments" almost every time they log in.

2. I agree that the admins could possibly be overloaded with their additional work (VSE, Economy, etc.), so I suggest that the current admins put forth a list of candidates that they feel comfortable with for the RA to select from to be minted a new admin.

3. We already have a somewhat dificult time filling the government up (See the threads concerning "Consolidating Positions" and "Minister of Communications and Entertainment"). If we can't fill the seats yet and have contested elections then we don't need to add another position/

Also, as I mentioned in the Bank of TNP threads, any potential MoF would have extreme power, akin to the Federal Reserve Chairman in the US. That power may not be one that we wish to put on an elected official. For example, s/he could be appointed just like Justices are appointed. For such a position, I would even consider making all candidates for any future MoF position be able to s how a concrete understanding of economic basics.

3. We already have a somewhat dificult time filling the government up (See the threads concerning "Consolidating Positions" and "Minister of Communications and Entertainment"). If we can't fill the seats yet and have contested elections then we don't need to add another position/
That's not due to inactivity. It's just a lack of propaganda!

"MoF" could be slightly offensive...

By the way, why does everyone include articles in abbreviations? "Of" is an article and shouldn't really be included in the abbreviated title, so "Minister of [not Of] Finances" should be "MF" -- right?

"MF" is not much better if we are going for politically-correct.

Now if we're going for funny, that's a whole different story.

Let's get back on topic here.

To answer the question, people usually include the small words (which is why they are represented by a lower case letter). Not just MoF, but MoIIA, for example.

I do also want to point out that although this is a section of the forum for preliminary discussions, let's try to keep things mostly serious. This is not an OOC thread or forum.

Some of us can be sarcastic, funny, and make a point all at once.

Not me however. I can only be sarcastic.

Hate to dredge up a dead topic, but I'm just looking for somewhere to throw me two pence ;)

I am very much against the creation of yet another ministry to deal with what is a very minor section of our meta-game. I'd like to point out that — from what I remember, given the precedent created by Haor Chall and the creation of the Ambassador-General — the MoIIA has the ability to create a non-elected post to deal with such matters, as I'm sure 'Finance' would fall under that ministry.

I agree that there must be more politically active people in the region. Maybe this would shine the light for some people. If it doesn't, chase after me with an angry mob.

Back