-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
New UN Resolution, voting ends Thursday, get your votes in by Wednesday evening.

Anti-Terrorism Act

A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.
Category: International Security
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Cluichstani UN Mission

Description: The United Nations:

DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, international terrorism as the use or threatened use of violence for the purpose of achieving political, religious or ideological goals by non-state actors using methods aimed at coercing or intimidating governments or societies by targeting primarily and deliberately the civilian population and designed to change the existing political, religious or ideological order.

FURTHER DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, international terrorism as that which is conducted, organized and/or financed across international borders, as opposed to similar activities that might occur purely within the borders of a single state, with the exception of such activities that might occur during times of war.

CONCERNED by acts of international terrorism that endanger people worldwide, as well as the peace and security of all states.

1. CONDEMNS all acts of international terrorism, irrespective of wherever and by whomever they are committed.

2. SUPPORTS efforts to combat international terrorism, as well as developing new international instruments to counter international terrorism.

3. DECLARES that every state has the duty to refrain from organizing, assisting or participating in international terrorism or acquiescing in activities within its territories directed towards the commission of such acts.

4. MANDATES that member states shall:
A. Prevent, suppress and criminalize the financing of international terrorism
B. Freeze without delay funds or other financial assets or economic resources of persons who commit, intend to commit or facilitate the commission of international terrorist acts; of entities owned or controlled directly or indirectly by such persons; and of persons and entities acting on behalf of or at the direction of such persons or entities, including funds derived or generated from property owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by such persons or associated persons and entities
C. Refrain from providing any form of support, active or passive, to entities or persons involved in international terrorism, including suppressing recruitment by international terrorist groups and eliminating the weapons stockpiles of such groups;
D. Deny, to the best of their knowledge and ability, safe haven or refuge to those who finance, organize, support or practice international terrorism;
E. Ensure that any person who participates in the financing, planning, preparation or perpetration of international terrorism is brought to justice, and that such acts are established as serious criminal acts in domestic law and that the punishment reflects the gravity of such acts; and
F. Afford one another the greatest measure of assistance in connection with criminal investigations or proceedings related to the financing or support of international terrorism, including assistance in obtaining evidence necessary for said proceedings.

5. URGES all member states to cooperate in preventing and suppressing international terrorism and in taking action against such act, though administrative and judicial means, and the exchange of intelligence, especially regarding actions or movements of international terrorists; forged or falsified travel documents; the use of communications technologies by international terrorist groups; and traffic in arms, explosives, or sensitive materials -- particularly weapons of mass destruction -- by international terrorists.

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

Direct from the Capital:

The House of Citizens, after taking a vote of its members, does hereby officially give its support for the resolution "Anti-Terrorism Act."  King Henry VI has certified his agreement to this decision so the current stance of the nation is FOR this resolution.

rex7vj.gif

Seal of the King of Ator
testat31ym.gif

Seal of the House of Citizens

AGAINST

Any definition of terrorism is superfluous and contradictory. This act would only serve to protect state terrorism on any individual who dares to disagree with the state, who is left out of the system. Since democracy is not a requirement, this act only reinforces violent repression by the state on its populace. One persons terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. Undet this law, Nelson Mandela would be a terrorist.

Not exactly;this res purposefully sets out to define, and legsisate against, International Terrorism while specifically excluding domestic terrorism
FURTHER DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, international terrorism as that which is conducted, organized and/or financed across international borders, as opposed to similar activities that might occur purely within the borders of a single state
. I'll agree with you about the one man's terrorist/freedom fighter
argument, but that doesn't necessarily apply once you extend your particular grievance internationally. Any such action conducted internally within a single nation's borders, and related to that particular nations policies or government or whatever, should be dealt with internally by that nation. This is part of what determines self governance.

I'll admit to being a bit worried about the use of the term "non-state actors" as this would seem to preclude anyone outside of a particular nations' government (i.e. individual citizens) - however, I feel that in this case it is meant to define those from outside the nation committing the terrorism.

Furthermore, this would also enable nations to take action against other nations who are condoning and supporting terrorist actions in other countries. Although with the proviso that such activities are excluded during "times of war". But, this part would require seperate "War Crimes" and "Articles of War Conduct" resolutions - and these would all need to tie into each other (or bear the possibility of all of them falling down).

FOR

FOR

This will only increase the security of all of our respective nations. The bill seeks to not only combat terrorism, but combat the states that support it, both of which are a threat to our nations.

FOR

This will only increase the security of all of our respective nations. The bill seeks to not only combat terrorism, but combat the states that support it, both of which are a threat to our nations.
What's your UN nation.

Our delegate won't count your vote if she does not have your nation, that's just why I'm asking. Trying to save some time :P

By the way, welcome to the forum! :hello:

I agree with Nova on this. The author was careful not to touch too much on the horrid national sovereignty issue.

IN FAVOR

Apollons and Industrians of Apollo-Industria stand for this resolution.
Last I checked, your UN was in The Pacific. You *can't* vote in TNP's UN Resolution.

FOR

This will only increase the security of all of our respective nations.  The bill seeks to not only combat terrorism, but combat the states that support it, both of which are a threat to our nations.
I'm assuming Yahooy2U is your nation?

Oh, and to clear something up. YES I am voting no currently. YES I realize the majority of TNP votes are yes at this time. YES I will vote as the region sees fit. But voting doesn't end for awhile, I can do as I like up til then. :fish: :lol:

sorry about that, I guess I forgot to mention, but yes, Yahooy2U is my country name, well I guess the official one is "The Empire of Yahooy2U"

I'll go ahead and add that to my sig I guess

edit: ok, just applied to be a registered voter/regional assembly member

The people's Republic of Uranium Project is against this resolution. We believe we have to minimize expenses for military. (However, we are not among registered voters yet, and therefore we are also not among registered UN nations yet, so our vote probably wont count. We are hoping to get registered voter status, registered UN nation status as well as become a member of regional assembly as soon as possible.)

UPDATE: It seems we have just been accepted into UN. We voted aginst anti-terrorism act.

(Hope you don't mind my posting again - this isn't a vote, as my TNP nation isn't in the UN.)

About the question of 'freedom fighters'. This proposal doesn't judge the motives, but only the actions. So, yes, if they are fighting a legitimate cause, they are still terrorists. This is because deliberately targetting civilians is wrong regardless of one's beliefs, motives etc. It is only the actual acts that are being judged, not the politics.

*slips back into hiding :ph34r: *

Greetings to the fine people of the North Pacific!

I come to you as a representative of the Sultanate of Cluichstan, hoping to address -- and hopefully, assuage -- any concerns that any of you may have with the proposed Anti-Terrorism Act, which is currently being debated on the floor of the UN. As the debate on the UN floor has been a lengthy one, the transcripts may be a bit much to digest. Thus, we offer to field any questions and/or concerns here in order to save the time and effort of the upstanding people of the North Pacific as they consider our proposal.

Respectfully,
Sheik Acceber bin Cluich
Special Envoy to the North Pacific

AGAINST

Any definition of terrorism is superfluous and contradictory. This act would only serve to protect state terrorism on any individual who dares to disagree with the state, who is left out  of the system. Since democracy is not a requirement, this act only reinforces violent repression by the state on its populace. One persons terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. Undet this law, Nelson Mandela would be a terrorist.
We can begin with this. The proposal addresses only non-state actors, but it doesn't speak to state actors. Not speaking to state actors, however, does not mean that it legitimises or even condones terrorist acts committed by states. It can't legitimise or condone something it does not address.

The question of "freedom fighters" versus "terrorists" has already been addressed here by my Gruenberger friend, but I would also add that so long as "freedom fighters" operate and receive their support from within their own nation, they are not covered by this proposal, no matter how heinous acts they might commit may be. This proposal covers only international terrorist operations.

Respectfully,
Sheik Acceber bin Cluich

The People Republic of Occisoria (hi everybody, I'm new and I'll try to follow these discussions despite english is not my mother language. Please to play with you)

thinks that the new resolution should be voted, but it is neccesary to modify it soon, very soon.

FURTHER DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, international terrorism as that which is conducted, organized and/or financed across international borders, as opposed to similar activities that might occur purely within the borders of a single state, with the exception of such activities that might occur during times of war. 

I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly, here it says that terrorism is not terrorism when it happens during a war. UN condemns attaqcks against civil population and torture in war and peace. Violating Ginebra is as terrible as any bomb attack from a radical group.
------------------------------------------------

Someone has expresed here his worring because the resolution can open the doors to state terror. The resolution only ask the members to do whatever they can against terrorism, not to violate the human and political rights. Terrorism can be easily defined in democracy: the ones that make their demands with violence and not with the instruments the democracy gives them: elections, peaceful demonstrations and dialogue.
Dictatorial states are another thing. If you opress your people and don't give them some vehicle to show their discomformity, then, violence is impossible to stop, and people that are probably assasines and thieves, will be claimed as freedom fighters.
I suggest to use an international referent of WHO can be considered a terrorist organisation. European Union has a list of recognized terrorist groups. With this, we can avoid some goverments to "invent" their own "terrorists" and prevent the bad use of this policy.

What do you think? It could be possible to present a modification of the resolution that is now being voted?

OOC: There must be some sort of glitch, Erastide. Your puppet's listed as having voted both for and against. :blink:

Sure it's not just some multiple-personality disorder manifesting itself? ;)

The people of Justew wish the delegate to vote against the current resolution because we like being able to sell weapons to terrorists as it supports our economy.

NAY, it will help state terrorism and oppression
It will do nothing of the kind, as it doesn't even speak to state terrorism. It merely addresses terrorist acts commmitted by non-state actors.

Respectfully,
Sheik Acceber bin Cluich

Sorry, can I just check what the situation now is? Obviously, it's getting close to the deadline...is TNP voting for or against?

OOC: Unless I'm counting wrong (and that's quite possible), the tally appears to be 6-5 in favour of the proposal... :unsure:

OOC: Ah, I see. So the vote against will stand then?

This resolution failed. Pity.

The Legalization of Recreational Drugs seems to be up next. How will you guys be voting?

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back