Wizard for RA Speaker

Well, I hope to keep this statement short and sweet.

Everyone (hopefully) has prior experience browsing around the RA forum here, so you all know me as the current Speaker. I'm running for another term because I believe there's more to be done in solidifying the RA as a solid legislative body.

On my campaign "platform" last time, I pledged to keep debate open in the RA, make things more efficient, and facilitate knowledge of RA processes, etc to every member. I deemed this only necessary because the RA should be something that has the most direct access to the people of TNP. To that end, in the past term, I have continued posting voting deadlines and such in the Speaker's Announcements thread in one cohesive place. In addition, I have also posted a general outline of how things work in the RA and how those new to the RA can get started with proposing a legislative idea. As far as keeping debate free and open, I have never (and will never) cut off any debate short because I personally disagree with it, or move a proposal forward in an inefficient manner. I believe that all the RA members have done an excellent job in this area, as evidenced by the fact I have had to do very little (if any) moderation in the RA forums this past term. I hope this reflects a growing stability in the RA where we can express ourselves freely without resenting anyone else.

Once again, I also encourage anyone not participating in RA debate to come and join us.

And of course, if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them in as straightforward a way as possible.

Cmon people.. I know you're out there :P

Either I'm doing a good job or the Speaker job is so thankless no one is asking any questions.

I think you have done an excellent job and look forward to you continuing in the role for another three months!!

Speaker of the RA is a busy job and a largely thankless one but it is also a satisfying one when you can get the Regional Assembly to function smoothly!! Best of luck in the election!!

Yes, I'd like to echo Polts view, and offer my congratulation for a successful term. I think the Speakers job is the perfect example of a job which if your doing well, people hardly notice your doing it at all.

I was just wondering what kind of plans you had for the future term to solidify the RA as a solid legislative body?

I'd like to thank Polts and Nam for their kind words. Indeed, I would be remiss if I didn't say there IS a satisfaction in things running smoothly.

And that gets back to Nam's question on solidifying the RA. I honestly think a continued period of "peace and quiet" where there is solid debate on issues but no blow-ups or drama would do wonders for the cohesiveness of the RA. We want to foster an atmosphere where people feel comfortable to come in and contribute. I'm not exactly campaigning on a platform of "he kept us out of war" but that's the general sentiment I'd like to express: hopefully things will continue running smoothly.

Obviously, I'd like more participation in the debate stages (recent RA votes were actually well-attended: and by well-attended I mean we passed quorum). I may consider more aggressive PM's to all RA members when a list is finalized (this also would be influenced by the potential passage of Hers' current RV/RA merger proposal). Another thing related to this: I'm considering whether a public posting of the number of votes each RA member has participated in (a running total) would be beneficial. I believe it might implicitly encourage more people to come in and vote -- at the very least it would let people know (without imposing activity mandates) who is more active and who is less active.

EDIT: Another thing I should mention is my plan to proceed speedily with the submission of the resolution I authored on Amending the Constitution by placing the initial vote with the RA.

You touched on the participation issue in your last post - would you have any further plans to help improve that situation?

Other than the things I already mentioned, I haven't thought of anything more at this moment.

I want to be realistic here -- every time I think of an idea that can help participation, I will be posting it for discussion amongst all the RA members. But I don't want to sit here and blow smoke up everyone's pants and say that I or anyone else in the government can fix the participation problem in the next term, because that's simply an empty campaign promise. The fact is that no one person can do it themselves -- really it needs the members of this region to provide the solution. That doesn't mean we can't have incentives -- Byard's Bank of TNP idea may very well encourage overall participation if it gets off the ground, and (not to channel 1980's conservatives, but..) we in the RA might get a "trickle-down prosperity" in participation. However, we must balance participation efforts with the caveat that we can't go over the line. I'll be honest and say I'd rather have a region with lower participation where everyone is free to express themselves than forced participation.

So of course I (and I'm sure, others) will work hard at generating ideas on participation, but again -- we have to realize this requires multiple solutions and it won't be a quick fix.

Back